Bar Scabbard suggestions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that this has always been required for wildland fire fighters who carry the saw on their shoulders. I am not sure that this would apply to volunteers who don't carry the saw on their shoulders.
We were told that the reg applies to all who are working on FS projects. One of our crew members actually purchased a "approved" cover -- for over $200! It is one that is being used by wildland firefighters, but I'll have to find out who makes it, and sells it!

And, I am wondering what you are doing with a saw that you need a scabbard on the chain.
Lay it on the clutch cover and put a rag over the tip..

Or, change whatever it is stupid you are doing.
I suppose that volunteering to clear 60+ miles of horse/hiker trails every year on our local National Forest might seem stupid to some people.......especially when most of it involves carrying all of your own gear! A "sawyer" and a "swamper" normally pack a saw, axe & wedges, gas, oil, spare chain and small parts, chaps, hard hat, ear protection, 2-way radio, emergency first aid supplies, and your lunch! Some days you can cover 5 miles, some days you might only clear 100 yards! Oh.... the "easy way" to carry a saw is over your shoulder! A scabbard just makes it a little safer!

Or: when working in complex situations, among other people; protecting the saw / vehicle / etc., during transport; carrying the saw through brushy conditions; carrying long bar saws when chain is vey sharp; etc., etc., etc., . . .

Philbert

!Is that why the scabbard must cover the dawgs?’

Philbert

No laws about that here yet- but dog feet and saw chain don't play well together.
Mind you, I have personally seen a logger trip with a saw bar over the shoulder, chain rash to holding hand and side of neck- 3 puncture wounds to back of shoulder/collar bone region- so I can see why it might be considered prudent to have dawgs covered and worry about dog feet later. :D

I suppose that volunteering to clear 60+ miles of horse/hiker trails every year on our local National Forest might seem stupid to some people.......especially when most of it involves carrying all of your own gear! A "sawyer" and a "swamper" normally pack a saw, axe & wedges, gas, oil, spare chain and small parts, chaps, hard hat, ear protection, 2-way radio, emergency first aid supplies, and your lunch! Some days you can cover 5 miles, some days you might only clear 100 yards! Oh.... the "easy way" to carry a saw is over your shoulder! A scabbard just makes it a little safer!

I think its a lot of fun, though my fun is on a smaller scale- local rails-to-trails; but still all my own stuff, my truck, and I get to haul the wood out and split it. I use scabbards because it makes the saws more convenient to handle in and out of the truck, around the shop and so on. Once I had one of the earmuffs on my helmet melted by a hot saw muffler after packing up and driving out - annoying- so I think covering the sharp and hot stuff makes sense.

OK

Well, they just annoy me. Saw comes in with one. So, I take the scabbard off a saw that won't run because it has never been run. I sit the scabbard and the ticket with the complaint on the table. Make sure nothing broke, dirt dauber in muffler, whatever. Take it outside, dump the fuel in barrel. Put fresh in. Usually get it running. Put it in the warehouse. Come back in and see the frigging scabbard laying there and have to go back to the warehouse. So, I'm stupid. What else is new.

And, I am wondering what you are doing with a saw that you need a scabbard on the chain.
Lay it on the clutch cover and put a rag over the tip..

Or, change whatever it is stupid you are doing.
This is a little narrow minded lol.
I dont use bar scabbards much at all but my friends do. It all depends on how you're hauling the saw around.
I have a chainsaw mount on the atv for one saw and the back up saw goes in the cargo box, neither one needs a scabbard. My friends set the saw on the floor board of the tractor or in the box of the truck, it will get dulled without a scabbard.

Back