Best Chainsaw for brushing on the B.C. coast

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally think that a Ported 346xp with a full-wrap and whatever bar length that you want. I have seen Hotsaws101 (Jack) cut a 36" fir with a ported 346xp running a 32" light bar and I was impressed and in the video he even says that he was running full-comp chain so I think that you woyuld have no problems running a 20" or 24" with semi skip on a stock one. And the weight savings are huge like 3lbs. I know from experience that a 50cc pro saw will impress you I am a pro logger and have been for 14years I have always cut down with a 395xp or a 390xp and about a year ago I thought to myself you know the trees just aren't as big as they use to be so why am I still dragging this big saw around. So I went on a little saw jorney and found out that bigger isn't always more productive. I now run all ported saws and won't go back I run 3-390xp, 7900, 2-Solo 681, 372xpw ,and a 5100s. I would like to try a 562xp and also a ported 346xp but I like the inboard clutch design of the 5100s. I run a 20" bar and a 3/8" full-comp chain and love that little thing. I actually sold it a while back and have been kicking myself in the pants ever since so I called the guy that bought it last night and it will be coming home soon. But if you get a chance get on youtube and search Hotsaws101 and look up the 346xp with 32" video impressive.

This all being said I still love running my 395xp's there is just nothing like the first saw you ever fell in love with.

The 562xp is quite a bit lighter, and much neater to handle than a 372xp. :smile2:

I looked at a 562 today, none of the local dealers had a 346, but I wanted a saw right away and I decided to go with a stihl 261, mostly because it was available and it was considerably less expensive than the huskys.

Bearing in mind I don't know how tall you are nor have I lugged a saw up the mountains much since I was a kid - longer can be better. As a kid a 14" bar was great but so was a 35cc saw for saplings. My 5' 11" dad used a 1010 with a 28 inch bar. Now at 6' and on the back side of life, a 28" is also my ideal length for ground cutting but of course the weight goes up significantly and the saw balance is off. The thing about bars is you can experiment with them. So what a small saw won't pull a long bar in big stuff - you aren't cutting big stuff. Ron

I looked at a 562 today, none of the local dealers had a 346, but I wanted a saw right away and I decided to go with a stihl 261, mostly because it was available and it was considerably less expensive than the huskys.

Like how much less expensive? Around here the huskys are generally less than the stihls. Just curious.

Ron

That 261 felt like a big saw with a small motor to me. Enjoying my 562 right now, gonna grab a 346 off murph when I get a little summer work under my belt. Russ

I can pack my 372 all day no problem, but it does slow me down hauling it up steep terrain and frequently I find myself moving accross logs and slash where it can be very difficult to balance and falling or dropping the saw is not an option I want to consider. Maybe if I worked on my cardio it would help, but a lot of it has to do with just wanting to maximize the speed I move through the terrain, so I need a smaller saw. A 13" bar would be way to short for me, maybe if I was a midget. I like having the long bar so I can zing even the small stuff with minimal bending.

Thanks for everyone's input. I'm going to check out a 346xp or maybe an ms261. I'll have a look at the 562 maybe as well, but I think I want a lighter saw. I might just have to settle for a 20" bar.
A ms261cm will pull a 25 inch bar with full skip 3/8 with zero issues just turn oiler all the way up and a quick muff mod. Dolmar are nice to just not quite as light. I use mine for alder up in MacKenzie area and it's about as crappy an area to slash as any

Back