Best homeowner saw (specifics in message)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do have to agree on the time thing, I have less and less to spend screwing around with equipment that isn't reliable, and if I'm on a paying job, or helping my logging buddy out I need my stuff to work. Looking for parts for a 20 year old saw is out of the question. My time is far too valuable to screw around like that.

I understand that. I've only ever bought one saw new, my 066 that came as a package deal with my M5 Logosol mill.

Some of my free saws were from a logger friend , who like Yourself can't fool around with breakdowns. That's where I got my first free Stihl, a well used 038M. It just needed some cleanup/attention, ugly, but still runs great. This was 1998. I can still see the machine marks on the piston.

All the rest I've gotten free or nearly so and rebuilt/refurbished them myself, I like to think I do good work, > 30 year old Stihls.

Most I consider very reliable and I have a stock of NOS OEM consumables, some P/C sets, and parts carcasses for them all.

If they break I can fix them cheaply, and when they do fail, I have duplicates that run at each displacement: 009 and 020T, 026 X 2 and 028S, 036 X 2, 038M and 038S---> 038M conversions X 2, 066 and 056M.

If a 026 or 038 goes down I'll just grab another one.......

I currently have two more 026, not carcasses, that just need P/C work (have NOS pistons) , a 064 I need to fix ignition (@L34 adapter fix), and two 056Ms one needs ignition (@foggysail fix) the other an oiler (which I have). That is 5 more good saws in the wings.

I don't have $3000 into ALL the used saws and parts.

But that one is out of stock, and so is the other one with similar displacement (a copy of a a Husqvarna 143R?) is also out of stock. Are you familiar enough to know if that website restocks them, or should I just look for it somewhere else on the internet?

I'll give it a shot. Honeysuckle is as bad as kudzu. Actually probably worse.

The 261 (it wasn't a 260, I was wrong) is a lot further drive and I'm a little nervous about the guy specifically, but it seems to start and run well. The 034 guy just seems like he's moved on from a saw that old.

There are four or five trees on the property that need a really long bar. That seems like the use case for either one of those clones or hiring someone. I guess if I have a really big saw I could be looking for larger trees for firewood, but I don't go through that much firewood.
The trimmers come back in stock from time to time. I actually bought mine off of ebay because it was US stock. Bluesaws.com sells them also. They are currently out of stock, but you could contact them and see if they expect to receive any in the near future.

Honeysuckle is BAD stuff. It changes the PH in the soil. In a relatively short amount of time it will completely overtake a forest. Most of the areas that I've been working on have NOTHING else growing under the canopy, not even briars. When you remove it, you're left with a clean forest floor.

The 261 is a fantastic saw. It, or something equivalent to it would be an ideal fit for what you're doing.

As far as the big trees, that also depends on how comfortable you are with dropping big trees, and what each of those trees is like. If there's any uncertainty, its worth paying someone else to get them on the ground. I've only taken down a couple that were noticeably bigger than 24". One was a pin oak in the back yard that was over 5' across at the hinge, but it was actually one of the easiest trees I ever dropped. In fact all of the big trees were in my yard, and all were very easy which is not always the case. The big oak was easy to drop, but cleanup was a nightmare. The trunk was over 30' long so I cut it into sections about 10' - 12' long, spilt/milled them in half so I could winch them onto my trailer, and took them to a friend so he could mill them into lumber. I just got some of it back 2 weeks ago that I want to use for building a new dinning room table (eventually). I let him keep the rest. I didn't want to put the work into splitting stuff that big into firewood, and I already had over 4 cords of firewood from the rest of the tree. I will say this, when a tree that big hits the ground, anything that it lands on will be underground instantly. I dropped it in Feb when the ground was frozen. I had laid a couple of
large limbs (10"-12" across x 6' or so long) cross ways in an effort to have the trunk off the ground so I could keep the saw out of the dirt when cutting it. The tree burred both of them. I had left one large limb (about a foot across) sticking out about 3'. Turns out, that limb hit first and completely impaled itself under the tree so that you couldn't even see it. It was fun getting that piece out of the ground a couple of months later.

Not worth owning a 40cc saw with a warranty and a cat converter. I’ve no experience, and had good luck reliability wise with Echo, but from what I’ve gathered, a lot of the hate you’ll get for Echos stems from them shafting people with their “warranty”.
Biggest echo dealer here wasn't warrant anything that wasn't bought there, and if it more then a year old it's blamed on letting it sit with fuel in it. Guys a jerk off. Just one dealer though. Biggest issue is finding an echo dealer that is willing to work on a saw.
My pick would be the cs400 for a small saw and a cs590 for a bigger saw. I’m actually quite fond of the Husqy Rancher saws, for what they are, but with them or Stihl mid-grade, you pay a lot more.
My one cousin swears his 460 rancher (may be a 455, cant remember) is the best saw he's ever owned.
I understand that. I've only ever bought one saw new, my 066 that came as a package deal with my M5 Logosol mill.

Some of my free saws were from a logger friend , who like Yourself can't fool around with breakdowns. That's where I got my first free Stihl, a well used 038M. It just needed some cleanup/attention, ugly, but still runs great. This was 1998. I can still see the machine marks on the piston.

All the rest I've gotten free or nearly so and rebuilt/refurbished them myself, I like to think I do good work, > 30 year old Stihls.

Most I consider very reliable and I have a stock of NOS OEM consumables, some P/C sets, and parts carcasses for them all.

If they break I can fix them cheaply, and when they do fail, I have duplicates that run at each displacement: 009 and 020T, 026 X 2 and 028S, 036 X 2, 038M and 038S---> 038M conversions X 2, 066 and 056M.

If a 026 or 038 goes down I'll just grab another one.......

I currently have two more 026, not carcasses, that just need P/C work (have NOS pistons) , a 064 I need to fix ignition (@L34 adapter fix), and two 056Ms one needs ignition (@foggysail fix) the other an oiler (which I have). That is 5 more good saws in the wings.

I don't have $3000 into ALL the used saws and parts.
I got lots of old saws, not saying there isn't a place for them, just not in a single saw plan imo.
I'm certainly not taking 5 saws out to the woods and hoping between all of them I'll make it through the either. Usually, I take 2 dependant on the scope of work.
Good luck in the 056m, rebuilt one and did the froggy fix 2 years ago for a guy. I'd swear I got the last nos bearings and seals on planet earth for it. Other then having typical stihl crap av and air filter, I was very happy with how it ran and it had good power. Not a saw I'd consider running all day.
few years ago I weeded out most of my older and or unused saws. Already have too much to take care of around here let alone the dozens of saws I've collected over the years, and regular run 4 of them. (Still have a bunch of antiques and a few for sentimental reasons. Ie shelf queens at this point.)
For whatever reason used saw prices are very high around here, unless you find that jem at a yard/junk sale for cheap. I'm not paying 1/2-3/4 new price for a used saw. The coupple landscapers I do work for usually trade their equipment in, or the guys take it home when they get new stuff. My logging buddy mostly keeps his old saws, although several times I've built one good saw from several parts saws if someone he knows needs a runner. The man is hard in saws. 3 brake handles, 2 top covers, 1 compete saw. (His helper ran it over with the skidder.) So far this year. Keeps me plenty busy with side work.

The 'your time is worth something' argument also assumes that each hour in a day could be used to earn money.

At least for me, it can't. There are times of day and whole entire days (nights and weekends) that if I want to make more money, I'd have to get another job. And my employment contract says I can't do that. So nights and weekends my hourly rate is $0 and for home projects it's not a matter of earning more money but limiting expenses.

But yes, if cutting wood was my job, I'd be buying new saws and paying someone to fix them when they broke and I'd also be perpetually angry if they did that (broke) too often. The equipment I use for work is new, and if it stutters I call the guys responsible for it and they bring me a new one.

For me, using a chainsaw is either a hobby or a chore. I'm just trying to make whichever it is of those easier without blowing up the bank.
Tid bit the owner of the machine shop I used to work for told me. Every hour you're awake either costs you money or makes you money. Don't let it cost you.
As much as I fought with him, he was a high-school drop out that went on to build a successful business, pass it off to his kids and employ 20 people for the past 50 years. Everything he did was to maximize his dollar. Just because you're not at work making money, doesn't mean your time is worthless. Spending now and saving in the future pays dividends if done wisely. I've lived by that ever since. Time is valuable, you're not gonna get it back.
You either have the spare time to divk around with old equipment that will cost you sooner or later, or want to be clearing your woods. Just that simple. Why take a chance when you can get up and running for the same cost and zero time wasted running around here and there checking out every used saw that pops up? Doesn't make any sense with the requirements you've laid down.

Those Ranchers might have been the best saws he’s owned. 😁 I’ve run them and can’t complain much. They are as smooth as any Husky( which is darn smooth!). They are a little “mushy” on power but have decent chain speed, and are reliable in the hands of someone who knows how to take care of a saw. The 455 and 460 are fairly heavy, but the 450 is about right and runs close to its bigger, pro cousins, the 545, 550, and I actually like the 450 better than the 261 I had.

Tid bit the owner of the machine shop I used to work for told me. Every hour you're awake either costs you money or makes you money. Don't let it cost you.
I would just counter by asking what dollar figure you place on happiness. I enjoy fishing but obviously if I am fishing I am not working. But I feel richer for the experience. Oh, I guess I enjoy spending time with family as well.

I would just counter by asking what dollar figure you place on happiness. I enjoy fishing but obviously if I am fishing I am not working. But I feel richer for the experience. Oh, I guess I enjoy spending time with family as well.
You assign whatever value to your time you see fit. Would you rather be screwing around with a old junk saw or fishing? It's a pretty easy concept. Wasting time on fruitless things has little to no value. Doesn't really have anything to do with money. (Even though that was Leon's point to me.) Spend $400.00 bucks now and don't waste the time and energy running around and taking the chance that used "name brand" saw is going to pan out vs getting a reputable mfg saw for the same money.

You assign whatever value to your time you see fit. Would you rather be screwing around with an old junk saw or fishing? It's a pretty easy concept. Wasting time on fruitless things has little to no value. Doesn't really have anything to do with money. (Even though that was Leon's point to me.) Spend $400.00 bucks now and don't waste the time and energy running around and taking the chance that used "name brand" saw is going to pan out vs getting a reputable mfg saw for the same money.
I get the point that he was making, and you are making as well, but it just made me think of a scenario I’m in…I do a lot of land clearing for a guy, bartering for some pretty good wood duck holes. Duck hunting is a money pit that I love! In reality my cutting business isn’t even that fruitful, but I love the smell of cut wood and gasoline! 😁

I get the point that he was making, and you are making as well, but it just made me think of a scenario I’m in…I do a lot of land clearing for a guy, bartering for some pretty good wood duck holes. Duck hunting is a money pit that I love! In reality my cutting business isn’t even that fruitful, but I love the smell of cut wood and gasoline! 😁
As long as you're OK with it, it doesn't really matter. we all have a different threshold, however learning that time is money and managing it that way, really puts into perspective what things cost. Half a day wasted in repairs or half a day hunting. I'd rather be hunting.

"Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life."

As long as you're OK with it, it doesn't really matter. we all have a different threshold, however learning that time is money and managing it that way, really puts into perspective what things cost. Half a day wasted in repairs or half a day hunting. I'd rather be hunting.
Absolutely! I enjoy general maintenance, but I’m not fond of doing too much tinkering. I make my money in the cut.

lol, you’re right, but I’m still doing something wrong. 🫤 Some days I feel worked to death! Maybe I should listen to Sean and stop tote’n around those turd-a** saws!
if you get the chance, run a 390xp for a day. Not as powerful as a 394/5, but handling is light years ahead and a bit lighter to boot. My 394 just sees mill duty anymore. Any big felling or bucking i just take the 390xp with.

if you get the chance, run a 390xp for a day. Not as powerful as a 394/5, but handling is light years ahead and a bit lighter to boot. My 394 just sees mill duty anymore. Any big felling or bucking i just take the 390xp with.
I ran a 385xp from 2013 to 2018. Very similar. I liked that saw a lot. Now I do the same work with a 372xp and can hardly see past it. I also run a 661 that’s not exactly mine. I own a 395 as well but now that the new has worn off, I only pull it out when needed… which lately has been far too often. I often toss around the idea of getting a 390 just because I’m not sure how much longer they’ll still be available. I got my latest 372 not very long ago from another market so it’s an OE, and recently manufactured. I’m thinking Husqy will continue to build the 390 in Sweden or Brazil for other markets for another decade or so, hopefully.

I ran a 385xp from 2013 to 2018. Very similar. I liked that saw a lot. Now I do the same work with a 372xp and can hardly see past it. I also run a 661 that’s not exactly mine. I own a 395 as well but now that the new has worn off, I only pull it out when needed… which lately has been far too often. I often toss around the idea of getting a 390 just because I’m not sure how much longer they’ll still be available. I got my latest 372 not very long ago from another market so it’s an OE, and recently manufactured. I’m thinking Husqy will continue to build the 390 in Sweden or Brazil for other markets for another decade or so, hopefully.
The price is what kills me, nought mine back in 2014 for around $1k out the door with 24" bar, 3 chains, and mix oil. Bit more expensive now.

The price is what kills me, nought mine back in 2014 for around $1k out the door with 24" bar, 3 chains, and mix oil. Bit more expensive now.
I know. Things have been getting a bit out of control. I don’t mind paying for a saw every now and again but dang! I have some interest in Stihl’s new electric pro saws, but what is the incentive when a saw that can take up to a 20” bar costs me over a thousand?… without batteries! I remember when a 461 could be had for less than that. Now, anything good is just high.

Back