chain gauge on bigger saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I was unclear in my post. The 360 has a 3\8"pitch
.063 guage 20 inch bar and a semi-chisel chain(RM).
Question -- is there any advantage to the .063 guage? Or maybe disadvantage??
I'm used to a . 325 pitch on a smaller saw. Always have run Oregon bars & chains.
Thanks for your opinions.

To tell you the truth I don't think I've ever seen .063 3/8ths chain before,but maybe I never paid attention to it....I would just throw some .050 on there and be done with it.

Later Rob...

Kenny,
Like Brian said...no advantage, no disadvantage.
I just don't think much of a dealer that sells common parts that are available only through him.
And I wouldn't use .050 chain in a .063 bar.

Yeah your right I would'nt put .050 on a .063 bar either I guess I should have said that in the first place sorry bout that.....

Later Rob...

No,groove in bar's too wide for .050. Thats the whole point,He just wants me to buy Stihl chain. I told him I liked Stihl's bar,chain and oiling set up. Actually I like the whole package and I thought Stihl products were capable of selling themselves. Now I feel kinda funny about this way of doing business and I told him so.
This was a fairly sizeable investment, now I can use Stihl chain or maybe find some some where else or change bars. Oh well as bad as this dealer is, I like the saw. Appreciate you guys responding to my griping and my questions.

Originally posted by Brush Stomper
He just wants me to buy Stihl chain.
Kenny, just because the chain is .063, doesn't mean you have to use stihl chain. I don't know what your dealer is trying to pull, but oregon 75LG will work just fine.

Just because he only sells Stihl .63 gauge chain doesn't mean that Stihl only makes .63 gauge chain.
Stihl bars and chain are available in all gauges.

Originally posted by daveb
I've never seen any stihl brand in .058 gauge, only .050 and .063.
What Stihl makes and what your dealer carries might be two different things. The next time you buy a Stihl chain, look at the brochure in the box. It lists all the chains and their recommended applications.

Stihl makes 35RS as well which is 58 thou. The 3 indicates pitch (3/8), while the 5 indicates gauge (1.5 mm.), or 58 thou. Stihl chain in 3/8 pitch is best filed with a 13/64" file I find cause it is harder than 72LG.
John

Back