Chainsaw Photos

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
your blown cylinder gasket woes sounds like the story my mate told me that one of his customers had the same trouble, do you by any chance know laurie kibblewhite [ saw chain supply ] ????. and i know what you mean by your local stihl dealer being a rip off my local dealer is is a bit expensive on his prices as well , so i tend to buy most of my stuff at a stihl dealer 25 klms away

Yeah I know Laurie. I have an after hours business called "Riverland Sawchain Supply" and am listed on his website. I get all my GB stuff through him.
After bagging Stihl dealers I came across one in Huonville, Tasmania, who is excellent. He's selling Stihl chain for 49c per DL instead of the 66-90c I've seen over here on the mainland. Great guy - I was chatting to him for ages. Chainsaws are a big deal over there - everyone seems to have them. Lots of Jonsereds on backs of utes (pickups) with loads of split wood.

G'day mate. I live in Glossop which is in the Riverland, SA on the Murray River. 7900 an awesome saw (or Makita DCS7901 - same thing and probably easier to find in Oz than Dolmar). One Tassie mob were selling them at AGFEST for AUD$1099 which is an absolute steal. I'm going to buy another one soon. Mine packed it in (blown base gasket) and was meant to be going to Tassie with me but unfortunately wasn't fixed in time. My work in Tassie would have been done a lot quicker if I had the 7900 over the 3120. My mate had that much rain in the first few days I was there that I had to carry everything hundreds of metres up the hill by hand as even my 4WD new Nissan Navara wouldn't get up the tracks. Carrying the 3120 quickly sapped any enthusiasm I had :) The 5100-S was a joy and punches way out of its weight class.
I drove through Geelong this morning on the way home from Tassie! Boat came in at 7am to Port Melbourne. 7 1/2 hour drive home.

P.S. I'd buy an 880 anyday over a 3120 too except that the local Stihl dealers are useless and ripoffs. I HATE OUTBOARD CLUTCHES :(

I just got a 880 from a Geelong Stihl dealer no bar or chain $2000

your blown cylinder gasket woes sounds like the story my mate told me that one of his customers had the same trouble, do you by any chance know laurie kibblewhite [ saw chain supply ] ????. and i know what you mean by your local stihl dealer being a rip off my local dealer is is a bit expensive on his prices as well , so i tend to buy most of my stuff at a stihl dealer 25 klms away hes great has a lot of old stock for the older saws,as well as a ex stihl dealer at balmoral, im currently restoring an old 056 magnum2 that i had given to me and was after a new muffler and he had one [ actually had 3 in stock ] and a new ignition module for the sem ignition .I should have it running hope fully by the end of next week cant wait !!my ms880 i paid $700 for with 4x25" chains and solid nose bar and 4x36" chains and roller nose es bar it had only done 30 hrs from new oh and a tecomech sharpener thrown in as well .i have a nice collection of saws at the moment , they include 2 x 090av, 1x std 090, a 1959 lightning , ms880 mag ,066 mag ,046 mag ,056 mag2 , 030 ,3 x08s - 2 with chain brakes ,a jonsered xf ,2 mculloch 250 ,a solo 626 ,dolmar 166 [what a beast ] these are all in perfect running order and 3 more 090s [1 is an av] , 2 more lightnings these are awaiting repairs to be got going!!!, looking for a dolmar 143, and a 153 as well, i cut a fair amount of firewood each year and drop the occasional big tree , but mainly storm damage trees as well as i bought myself a super axe ws400 woodsplitter this year just to make it a bit easier and a lot faster to split lmao !!!. Here are some shots of some of he saws , and some of me dropping some dead pines at my mates farm in kangaroo valley nsw with the help of a 20 ton cat excavator as the pines were widow makers lots of dead crumbly branches overhead :cheers::chainsawguy::rockn:

Hi i have a ws400 super axe for a year,fantastic splitter,got mine from Tony at Whitlands Engineering.

The prince:

picture.php

U know you want one:

picture.php

Almost broken in:
picture.php

Ready for the GTG May 23rd:
picture.php

So far, so good, 660 cylinder fitted. waiting on the 660 piston and a bunch of other parts. It has new bearings, seals (one still on the way), piston, and a bunch of other stuff coming.

I just got a 880 from a Geelong Stihl dealer no bar or chain $2000

Thats an excellent deal. One of mates got an 880 from a Stihl dealer in Mildura (VIC) for $2500 with 28" bar and chain. My 3120 was $2200 with a 42" bar and chain, plus spare filter, plus $25 can of filter oil.
At AGFEST in Tassie one of the Stihl dealers had an 880 for $2799! One thing was for sure, I saw no good deals from Stihl dealers that day.

Another Super Pro

O.K., so this one is only the SP40 but it does have a mighty bark for a 40 cc saw. I need to get a good .250 chain for it before I pass judgement on how it cuts.

$20 from a Craigslist lead, along with a McCulloch 450 for $20 as well. The SP40 has another $20 in parts and once I get a chain, is should be good to go, now for a job that requires a top handle...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I know a number of folks don't like working on these small Mac's but I didn't find it that bad. Most difficult part of the project is getting the throttle linkage hooked up, I found it easiest to hook in on the lever under the housing, then sort of thread the carburetor over the other end then put it all back together.

Mark

SP40s can be some of the fastest little Macs. The carb is a weakness not having a hi and low screw. Get it sorted and enjoy. That one looks to be in pretty good shape, a nice find for a good price.

Back