Cold weather clothing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeslayer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I need input from climbers going up in really cold weather.

I'm in NW Illinois this winter, (from VA), and what am I looking for is thermal underware, waterproof (nylon?) outerware, and most importantly, gloves.

I am a VERY flexible climber, so coveralls and restrictive clothing won't work.
Money is not an object, either, I gotta be on point.

I've been watching extreme ice loggers, deadliest catch, etc...and wanna try to beat this winter like I do trees.:cheers:

Thanks, dave

hmmmm...money is no object...must be nice!

I've summited many peaks...Kilimanjaro last year...also thruhiked the AT twice..once in winter and once in summer.

In your situation, I'd mimic the dress of an ice climber...needing wind and water proofing as much as flexibility...Goretex shell, fleece midlayer and breathable base.

Check out www.backcountrygear.com and www.golite.com

Those are two of my favorite places to shop for these types of items.

Last edited:
I like the cold better than the heat, and the best thing about running a saw is that you can warm up your hands whenever you want. I like a t-shirt, covered with a Stanfield shirt, and maybe a Carhart jacket, undone of course, so you can work better.

I think one big problem is how sometimes you are working real hard, high heartbeat, then other times you are not moving a whole bunch, but in one spot. Thats why layering works well, you don't want your sweat to chill you.

Layering is the best, so you can take stuff off as it worms up.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/d/161_Mens-Underwear-and-Baselayer.html

STP has some of the best prices I've seen. Set the search from lowest price to highest. There was a polypro longjohn bottom for $8 when i just looked.

Get some fleece tops and a storm shell for cutting the wind.

Big fluffy down sucks, you need durable, so the high-end mountain stuff is best. i like a long waist, so that it stays under the saddle. No back gap or bunging up in front.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/d/208_Mens-Waterproof-Shell-Jackets.html

Go for woolen underwear if you can find it. Keeps you warm, even when youre damp.

I you want somthing that's waterproof, that means tempratures are above 0 degrees Cecius, and I wouldnt concider that for beeing cold.

For tempratures below that, get something windproof but breatheable. Gets less damp, and that keeps you warmer.

If youre gonna work hard, dress lightly, so you dont get sweat and wet, cause then youll get cold. And for more stillstanding work, add a layer (fleece) between the underwear and the windproof jacket.

Gloves? just keep working outside all the autum and winter, and your hands will adjust to the temprature. (the only part of the body that will adjust) I use the same thin leather gloves in the wintertime as in the summer (but it does get cold when the get wet, so have lots of them). And heated chainsawhandles rocks :)

It gets cold here too. I wear Arborwear tech pants sized a bit big so I can get long johns underneath. I wear a thin pair and a heavy pair of the longjohns when it's really cold and windy or just one of those depending on the day. On top I wear a lightweight longjohn top, a fleece shirt, and then a fleece vest. Over them all I wear this: http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/appareldetail.cfm/CLD4005
The Cloudveil jacket doesn't tear like goretex and it breathes like nothing else. It isn't waterproof, but it dries super fast. The Sierra Trading Post site is the best place to get cheap long underwear. With all those layers you can adjust for anything.

I live in a colder climate. I dont go fancy with cold weather cloths. for a good cold weather pant go to Labonville they have a winter pants(black) that will also take a kevlar insert. I have had mine for over 8 years and worked in the woods as a Sawyer for 3 years with them. And climb with them now. they are rugged and flexible. just spray with tent guard a couple times a winter and you will always stay dry. if it is below 0 I will wear a pair of sweat pants under them if not I just wear the pants. Just get them a size bigger in the waist.
For top clothing the biggest thing is layers. makes it easier to dress down as it warms up a couple degrees in the afternoon.

SKU: WN600P
Weight: 2 lbs 0 ozs

Labonville's own cold weather black nylon Pants. Made of tough 430 Denier black nylon w/ increased urethane coating. Lined with thinsulate c100 black quilted nylon lining. Two deep back pockets with bar tacks and flaps, two full front pockets. Draw strings on pant hems. Front and back inside buttons for suspender and front snaps for our safety pads. Made in the USA.
You made need to order the next waist size up to provide a proper fit over your pants.

those have to be hang dried.

Arborwear just added flannel lined "original" pants. 'Haven't tried them but may be a partial solution.
Phil

if you put them in the drier,the flannel shrinks more than the exterior material.

For light weight and flexability in very cold I suggest the base layer be thin then thick fleece then a tough shell then you are warm and toasty in there.
Hoodies are heavy, the hood obstructs vision.

Under Armor Cold Gear. Get a top and bottom and go from there. It'll take moisture right out of the equation. I like uninsulated (layer underneath if need be) Carhart bibs over the top (eliminates draft), with the short Carhart Artic coat for climbing (fleece under coat if needed). Also, throw in a Under Armor full face mask and an insulated hard hat liner.

Last edited:
For light weight and flexability in very cold I suggest the base layer be thin then thick fleece then a tough shell then you are warm and toasty in there.
Hoodies are heavy, the hood obstructs vision.

Agreed 100%.

It also depends upon how active you are, but you need some base clothing that wicks the sweat away from your body and transfers it to the outer layers. Older clothing did not do that well, but there are a lot of company's who make marvelous cold weather clothing for both active and inactive users.

There are dozens of choices out there, the ones I have picked lately are made by UnderArmor (called ColdGear). They have Base 1, Base 2 and Base 3. I seriously doubt you will need the 3rd base layer unless you are in something that is going to be sixty below or colder and sitting still. Really Base 1 and Base 2 are likely all you need plus the outer layers. Most company's today provide the base layer technology and the ability to wick the sweat away from your body. Still carry a change of clothing as the outer layer will get drenched with sweat. The first base layer surprisingly does not get soaking wet.. just passes the water through it. (I was using it this week myself - just the first layer though)

Try looking in stores like Bass Pro as they likely carry this or similar products as well. Get only the best - the price you pay for it will more than pay you back on the cold days. I have about a dozen pairs of top and bottom.

This will cover your underneath layers.

I don't think any of that stuff "wics" anything. It be BS, total. It gets wet then cold just the same as a T shirt though not as much. I also find it binding and tight to wear.

Smartwool, or a like-merino wool base is very good.
wool is the only fabric that will retain heat even when wet, actually, it gives off calories or heat when wet..
I wear wool all the time bow hunting; and even when very wet, it is warm.

Now I would not wear wool outerwear climbing, would be too heavy, but the longjohns and long underwear top? for sure :) Add a fleece mid layer, then some type of breathable, windproof layer for the outer shell and you will have a bombproof system.
The new Sitka-gear line would be good, albeit it is camo, if they ever come out with it in black? it would be great.

I'm in the middle of this question for the upcoming hunting season, sitting in a tree styand al day in winter gets cold. But you'll be moving so you can create the warmth.

Over the years, its always been layer after layer of thermal clothing topped by a hooded sweatshirt. One major layer is a turtleneck longsleeve shirt. Major heat retention!:clap: Even with this, it still seems to get cold so this year I'll be buying some of the previously mentioned smarttwool or merino wool clothing, all the qualities of regular wool but a bit softer and more comfortable. One place where the cold always gets me up in the tree is my hands. I never wear gloves in winter, can't find a pair that fits right, but that also means up in a tree, they get REAL cold. If I climbed everyday, I'd find a pair of warm gloves before anything else. And no, I'm not a fan of the UnderArmour yet. Seems all fashion and no proof.

Latest posts

Back