Cold weather clothing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i personally use under armor as my first layer but not the compresion gear but the gear that fits just a little loose like cotton thermals would, i cant remember the exact name but its awsome. Here is the crazy sounding part but it works great and prevents me from wearing alot of layers and constricting my movement, i keep a small bottle of crystals brand hot sauce with me and nip at it when i get a little chilly. Crystals brand is not firey hot and has more of a vinager taste so you can handle small shots without burning your mouth.I know most of you will laugh or say something not so nice but until you try it dont knock it.

Cold weather here means mid 60's F, and a long sleeve T-shirt.

You guys who work in temps below 40º are a tough bunch. I find it difficult to climb with gloves.

Looks like Ive got an essay here....

Arborwear just added flannel lined "original" pants.

I've always found flannel to be too bulky. Then it does not address the wind blowing up your pantsleg while hanging. They mat be good for ground work, but suck in the tree.

for a good cold weather pant go to Labonville they have a winter pants(black) that will also take a kevlar insert.

Fancy is a relative thing, though saw pants are good in the very cold, because we tend to make more mistakes then.

A very good thing about LaBonville is that they will make anything that they sew custom measure for us freaks that size outside the normal range. They made my saw pants at no extra charge. With Dave being a skinny little whip, he may need some help there.

For light weight and flexability in very cold I suggest the base layer be thin then thick fleece then a tough shell then you are warm and toasty in there. Hoodies are heavy, the hood obstructs vision.

We are singing from the same sheet of music here Danny Boy. Mountaineering clothes were made for rich people to be comfortable, now they have made cheap alternatives for us common people. STP makes it even easier to stomach the cost.

Boots and shell are my two biggest outlays, cuz they good work and last. Look for a good shell that is helmet friendly and it can go over the pot when you have intermittent problems, or under it when it is nasty and blowing all the time.

they also have draw strings on top so you can adjsut them out of your field of vision. Balaclavas are good too, though the heavy ones are usually too warm for me.

Under Armor Cold Gear. Get a top and bottom and go from there.

I think you pay too much for the UA lable. Maybe it's the anti stink tech in it, but the cheap stuff works just as well. Wickers is great, but i find it sizes too small for me to wear. Kenyon has been my brand of choice for the past few years, when STP has a big sale.

Lastly, we,ve forgot about the feet. I like an over sized boot, and 2-3 pair of socks, one a thin dress like liner, and then a heavy wool. The third may be a normal weight in between. This gives a double advantage of reduced friction, and more air room for insulation.

This is were the wicking effects really show through. I used to have sweaty feet until I listened to a hiker when in the USMC and layered my socks. my feet feel much better at the end of the day with layering then with only one pair, no matter the temp. (well, I've not done it in +100* for years)

cold weather gear

Funny, no one mentioned what gloves to use. i know,climbers hate gloves, but if you climb when its 10f outside, your gonna need gloves. I guess at that temp, most of you are burnin wood, not cutting it,lol. As awkward looking as they are,very few people try the best i have found. U.S.army surplus trigger finger mittens are great. they usually work best without the liner in them for climbing. They cost about $10 at your local flea mkt or army surplus. Do not wear them near a chipper.There are 3 different generations of these gloves,the lined ones are best,prefferably the brown ripstop nylon ones, but take what you can get. they have large collars that can comfortably hold little pocket handwarmers for below zero days, and the triggerfinger on them makes them great for running a saw. Just be careful they dont catch on a stub as a limb flies away.My hands will actually sweat if i use them above 20f outside temp,without the liners in them.A thick ski mask type hat is good,too. If you get too hot,just take off the hat and your whole body cools down some.Definitly wear layers. I go cheap, and usually wear sweatpants under army cammo pants. If its nasty,wet,snowing,etc, i wear a pair of ski pants over the cammos. Army chemical pants are very warm,as well. Any type of coveralls/jumpsuit/onepiece thing usually gets too hot for climbers. on top, i wear a tshirt then a loose sweatshirt,with a sweater over both.If thats not enough for the morning,i have a nice,loose army fieldjacket or weatherproof garmet company jacket to throw on top. The army field jacket liners are a great layer to throw in on super cold days,too.those things feel like they give off heat, and cost about $10-20 surplus.

Ski bibs are my mainstay. You never get that chill at the waist (yeeeowww) and it is like walking around in a sleeping bag. Gathers at the ankles and I tie the shoulder straps together so they don't drift over your shoulder and drive you nuts. A large chain called "####s" (Dihk's) carries them every fall in the cheapo version for about $25. When getting muffler burns and tears I just get another pair every couple of months.

I also like the full turtle neck tucked into the bibs and a bacclava (sp) -hat with only a face opening- tucks right over the turtleneck. I top this off with a down vest (not fluffy or rigid) and might add a plastic windbreaker inside that (the vest) if real cold.

When climbing I use a pair of real tight leather gloves that are lined and cinched at the wrist and I have found this to be the best grip. They can be bought for around 8$ instead of the 35.$ marked on them at outlets. (TJ Max) Sometimes I take an extra pair of gloves (ski gloves) up for when all the moving around is lessened.

I usually draw the line at 15 degrees f. unless a real busy takedown. It is one of the perks of not being a desk jockey as I see it.

I have been through cold weather training through the Marines a few times and we have had lengthy classes on this type of stuff..I agree with the simple phrase cotton kills..when it gets cold and windy..go with a thin synthetic base layer(I HATE the tight fitting stuff..it makes all the hair on my legs get irritated kinda like when you get hat hair)..Fleece is a modern miracle for cold weather..it doesnt shrink like flannel.it retains most of it warming ability when it gets wet..it dries SUPER fast and easy..its cheap..and it lasts a long time..as far as on outter layer..wind proof for sure..I like the dense nylon stuff for durability..gore tex is nice..but it tears pretty easy..and gloves..I found these fleece lined ones with a rubber coating called frosty paws..kinda like the climbing gloves I use..when they get wet or too damp..I just put on the other pair I have..put the wet ones on the dashboard of the truck and turn on the heater to let em dry..

Well guys, some good advice here. I appreciate the feedback on brands and styles of clothing. I've been working outside for 35 years now, and even though Va winters get down into the teens, and I work regularly in 20 deg. weather, these Illinois temps are gonna test me.

I'm gonna buy some high end wool under clothing as suggested, (I've already got the right boots), I will be looking for the right outerware suit, and the only thing I'm worried about now are my hands.

My hands have been beaten up pretty bad over the years doing comm. electrical work, and when they get too cold, THEY HURT. and when they warm back up, they HURT WORSE. so I try to carry several pairs of gloves aloft, and always with me in the truck. good hunting gloves are expensive, and do not last long climbing. My problem is having gloves I can work in, (tying knots, working rigging gear, etc.....) keep advice coming on that, please.:cheers:

I like the idea of hand warmers, too, got lots of pockets in my BDU's.:D

This was KY last year, about 5 degrees, 25+ mph wind, and started snowing as soon as I went up in that :censored: metal bucket. I was warm though, until the wind finally got me.
3 - 4 layers, and toasty.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Cold weather here means mid 60's F, and a long sleeve T-shirt.

You guys who work in temps below 40º are a tough bunch. I find it difficult to climb with gloves.

Below 40º ? Try minus 40º and see how that feels.. now have not done much work at that level for 20 years.. but between zero and minus 20º is common.

As far as gloves i would look into some Dakine gloves, they're meant for skiing an stuff, but i do alot of work in the winter, and because the cold cant be avoided (i live in the sierras) they keep you very warm, and they are a thin glove that lets you still use your fingers to tie knots an such. good luck this winter, fleece, wool and gortex, an remember, "cotton kills". :cheers:

Last edited:
my girlfriend has some insulated pantyhose maybe thats what you need. Give you that flexability your looking for:spam:

Why's this getting neg-rep?
Back when I was in college, the football team was issued Big Mama pantyhose for cold weather games. Of course, a 300lb linesman doesn't have to worry about anybody calling him a pansy to his face.

For traditional long underwear, polypropylene has great warmth to thickness, but it can get stinky.

..and gloves..I found these fleece lined ones with a rubber coating called frosty paws..kinda like the climbing gloves I use..when they get wet or too damp..I just put on the other pair I have..put the wet ones on the dashboard of the truck and turn on the heater to let em dry..

As far as gloves i would look into some Dakine gloves, they're meant for skiing an stuff, but i do alot of work in the winter, and because the cold cant be avoided (i live in the sierras) they keep you very warm, and they are a thin glove that lets you still use your fingers to tie knots an such. good luck this winter, fleece, wool and gortex, an remember, "cotton kills". :cheers:

You guys have any links for these gloves?

Originally Posted by WolverineMarine
..and gloves..I found these fleece lined ones with a rubber coating called frosty paws..kinda like the climbing gloves I use..when they get wet or too damp..I just put on the other pair I have..put the wet ones on the dashboard of the truck and turn on the heater to let em dry..

You guys have any links for these gloves?

Sorry bro..theres a local general store I get them from..but heres a link to something pretty similar..these might even be better..I like Atlas gloves the best..they FAR and above hold up better than any of the others that I have tried..

http://www.palmflex.com/product.php?productid=1038&gclid=CI_X0eTJ2p0CFRHxDAodYn_trw

awkward looking as they are,very few people try the best i have found. U.S.army surplus trigger finger mittens are great. they usually work best without the liner in them for climbing.

Mittens? on a climber? :confused: :dizzy: I need more than my thumb to climb.:laugh:

I do have several pairs of the 2 piece chemical suits, they work well.

The Dakine gloves look good, but no pricing, so I know what that means.:laugh:
The Atlas gloves work well at moderate temps, not for me in cold weather, though.

GF bought me a pair of real nice gore tex hunting gloves from Dihks, and I like the Snap-On gloves from ACE hardware until it gets below 40.

Cold Weather Colthing

Karl Kuemmerling inc out of OH has some of the best stuff for treework. I spent 28 years in NE IL.20 doing treework try to find a catalog or go on-line www.karlkuemmerling.com. They have a Double Thick Sweat Shirt. Made by Sewing two togather, Heaver Weather Hard hat liners, Face shelds,all the Carhart Bib overalls, Linded Vests and a one finger gauntlet mitten with a Liner. I know this mitten can do tree work , have two pair 1 fron 1982 and I baught another pair in 97. Offten overlooked Kuemmering has some great stuff

Latest posts

Back