E-Ba Etiquette

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WOLF_RIVER_MIKE

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hello, just want to get some opinions on E-bay ratings. I bought a saw on E-bay last Friday morning (2:30 a.m.) or so Central time.
Contacted the seller immediately to work out pickup/payment (local). Got a can't deliver e-mail return. Got a reply from seller on Saturday evening that he was now receiving e-mail and he sent me his phone # and cell #. I sent him back an e-mail on Sunday that I couldn't make the pickup that day, to mail me the saw. He sent me back instructions on that Monday. Tuesday morning I put MO in the mail. Called him Friday evening and got ahold of him on his cell. He had to come out of an auction to hear me (surely spending my money order). Said he would ship the saw tomorrow (Saturday). He reassured me that the saw was as described (like new). Would like opinions. My limited e-bay experiences, I've tried to be punctual and responsive with communication. This boy is really dragging, seems to me like. If I get the saw as described, I suppose the trade was fine. What do ya'll think?

eBay

We sell some stuff on ebay and treat an "end of auction" or an email inquire just as if it was a phone call... prompt, professoinal, "flexible" and most importantly; timely. When we started over 2+ years ago on there (just to get some slow moving inventory out and to suppliment our local sales)- there weren't many "chainsaw nuts" on there. Now, I know for a fact that there are people hitting local auctions, flee markets and pawn shops with only one motive and that is to resell... I guess they can make a buck OK- but buyer beware- that great looking Stihl saw the guy is selling- he hasn't a clue about.

The biggest thing is a persons feedback and you can usually look at what they sell to determine if they are just recycling stuff or its legit...

Doesn't sound too bad,you sent the MO on tuesday and he ships saturday is actually about right.Very few Ebay sellers will ship 'til they actually receive payment.E-mail occasionally fails,when I was using netzero I'd sometimes receive mail a week after it was sent,dont use netzero anymore....if he's giving you his phone numbers he's probably legit,doesn't mean he knows jack about saws but if his feedback looks good he's probably trying. hope it works out.

E-bay

Hello. I bought a 084 short block 2 weeks ago. The seller made a fast responds and I made a prompt payment. But the saw came about a week late. the seller packed it in little foam balls and didn't plug the spark plug hole or the ports oh well :angry:

My wife sells on ebay and many times may get 2 or 3 emails within two days from the buyer. She does this as a side line, has a regular day job, the kids have school activities, etc. She trys to reply to the emails as soon as possible but many times the items do not get packed until the week end. I boxed up 3 large items for her yesterday and they will go in the mail monday. Buyers have to remember sellers have a life outside of ebay.

I've been buying and selling on eBay for over 2 years. Ebay is just like the real world, you meet a lot of nice and concientious people and then you meet others who are too wrapped up in themselves to worry about whether or not they provide good service, they just want to get paid.
The initial contact sounds like a bunch of running around to me. Sometimes sellers will try and discourage from completing the transaction because it sold for less than they had hoped. They get you thinking twice about sending money, if the guy doesn't even answer emails. Always pay with a credit card or postal money order. These are your best chances of being protected from getting ripped off.
A week from the time you sent payment to shipment sounds fair unless you live close and then he has been spending your money instead of packing your saw.Sellers have to remember that buyers have expectations of prompt service.
I'm sure it will work out, but if it doesn't I wouldn't count on eBay to be of any help!

My 2 cents, Buyers and sellers both must have respect for each other. If you are a seller and only ship once a week, say so in your auction. Don't demand prompt communication if you are un-able or unwilling to reciprocate. Buyers should read the aucton carefully and ask any questions before the end of the auction. As a buyer more often than a seller I won't leave feedback until it has been left for me, I feel the person spending money for something he has not seen yet has the right to have the last word in the feedback forum. The only bad experience I had on E-bay was a saw part I bought for $10.00 then paid $10.97 to ship it. The auction said "buyer to pay shipping" but I didn't think that should mean an hourly wage for the guy to put the part in a box! Actual shipping on the label I got from the seller was less than $3.00 ,he got NEGATIVE feedback.

As most have said here, etiquette is a must, but can be a factor that can be misconstrued very easily. More than once have I, as both buyer and seller, run into problems with servers..emails..etc...I personally always leave a phone number to contact me..that way...anything can be resolved...When buying, I feel more comfortable when the seller offers their number...

I have found, for the most part, that the people on Ebay, with a decent feedback rating, are people who are genuine. I personally have never been worked over...and I have friends who are big ebay sellers, they too, have nothing but good things to say....

It doesnt matter where you are, what you do, or how you do it..there is always going to be someone who tries to take advantage of the situation, and that is why most sellers will wait until the money arrives..or cheques clear...and that is their right...

When crossing borders you have to give additional time for payments and shipments...but one week...from payment sent to shipment..sounds reasonable....heck, up here in Gods Country, payments take two weeks to get here by dogsled sometimes...;)

Hi There, Ebay has been good to me, I only have about 4 bad feedbacks out of 400 or so and they are all over those freakin toy chainsaws, they seem to want them yesterday, and I know for sure some buyers have got the same saw at least twice, I even got a bonced check for one. I never engage in confrontations or post bad feedback , but rather respond appropriately to bad feedback. People that buy real saws from me are generally happy and if they arent I take it on the cheek to ensure their satisfaction if I did something wrong.
This is the royal road to success I believe, try to give more than you take and you will always come out the winner. It's only a mathematical fact.
Anyway, does anyone need a new 088 Magnum for a paltry 999$ U.S. delivered, or 1200$ modified?
John, the Pontificating, Pedantic, Procrastinating Ebay Power Seller, thanks to all my Saw purchasers and modifiers and chain filers.

I appreciate everybody's comments. Guess I'm probably being a bit pushy, I really gotta work on that...yeah that's it. But if that saw doesn't get here in the next day or so, I'm gonna be pissed.:p

I consider one of the best options for auction payment to be on line payment services,of which there are several.I've sold several items,some international,and received payment within a hour of the auctions close.As a result some of my buyers in Europe receive their items faster then buyers in the states using snail mail to send payment.It's a option that makes on-line transactions easier and faster for both buyer and seller.
Not all sellers or buyers use this option,but when both do it can make transactions a snap.
I would NEVER bid on a item that does not note shipping cost in the description.Ask the seller what the shipping costs would be to your location to avoid any hidden costs.
Be cautious and ask any questions you have about a item before you bid.
Best Wishes,
Rick

I bought a saw off ebay,had heck getting ahold of the guy. E mailed wrong phone #, wouldn't answer email etc...The guy probably had a real job and had trouble getting time to reply. Finally got together and both sides were happy, Mother always told me to be patient,although she knew ???? good and well I wasn't born with that luxury.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Having fun cuz I want to do it

I just bought a dodge Ram grill. Am trying to use paypal. I am getting so mad at trying to make a payment. I tried to pay by credit card (in which I have never had a balance). It won't verify it. Now it wants me to pay by their bank account service. Why is this happening. I also tried 3 different credit cards. This makes me afraid to put this on arboristsite to buy shirts etc. I would be so pissed by now, just like I am and give up. Any advice?

Never had a balance? ... that could be the problem. If you can do it online, check to see if your card(s) is/are valid. You may have to phone them to validate.

many credit card companies are invalidating accounts that net them no profit, others allow the holder to keep and use them, but for an annual fee.

There is no free lunch.

It was 67 bucks. If I was to rob someone it wouldn't be for 67 bucks. Could it be on the sellers end? Like to many so so transactions? I will call the credit card company to see if they have a hold.

Her we are boys, w/the Dolmar 115.

Billy Edwards, I'm still waiting on my saw. Have you mailed it yet? If so do you have a confirmation or tracking number of some kind. I think I've been farily patient Billy, but this is starting to drag out now. We are in the same area code, ya know what I mean. Let me know something, Billy.

hi dad is oput of town and i have mailed the saw for him he told me he
promised it to be sent sat . i didnt know that till he called me and i
mailed it this evening .i will send you the ins.# so you can see . in the
morning it is at my work office .sorry about the delay . dont be mad i am
sorry .thanks jeff.

what do ya think boys, It's been 12 days or so", do ya'll want to see a good mark on billy_edwards name? I ordered a Walkerized saw from Canada and got it here in less time. I've been patient, this is ignorant. I'm sorry but this should not happen. My dad was suppopsed to mail the saw or something. No. Tthe seller is responsible, I don't even need to talk about this. JesusChrist boys. I think now I need to go get the saw. Probably 100 miles.
Oh yeah, I won't be mad.

Don't post negative feedback until you get him to post positive feedback for you. After all, you did send payment right away and you did make good effort to communicate. After he posts feedback for you then you can let your concience be your guide. He will only be allowed one chance to post feedback for you so if you slam him then he can't retaliate. AS THE BUYER I BELEIVE YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO HAVE THE LAST WORD!

Latest posts

Back