Exhaust Delayed Scavenging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crap. You know, I bet I'm darn close to having a problem there. I'm not used to even having to look at that with these engines, but on this version they've raised the whole intake, and I did see the ring gets into the intake port. I'm going to have to look and see if it's going to hang a ring.
I was half tempted to drill a new hole and press a pin just north of the transfer ports so I could port the intake.

Carb is flat spotting. Gunna block off accelerator pump and drill another low range port
What carb is on it? It sounds like it's pig rich on H. Although I like how the smoke blows out both sides!

I was half tempted to drill a new hole and press a pin just north of the transfer ports so I could port the intake.
I'm really curious if the ring end is on the port now. You know I played around with it while the sealant was setting up, and I saw the ring in the top of the port but don't recall seeing the pin or the ring end, although it could have been off to the side and obscured. That would be boneheaded if I missed it.

However, the chassis I used was advertised as having low compression, but it turned out there's nothing wrong with the engine, and it's an older one. I just built this one because it was different. So if I screwed this cylinder up I'll just cut down the better one and use that.

What carb is on it? It sounds like it's pig rich on H. Although I like how the smoke blows out both sides!

I'm really curious if the ring end is on the port now. You know I played around with it while the sealant was setting up, and I saw the ring in the top of the port but don't recall seeing the pin or the ring end, although it could have been off to the side and obscured. That would be boneheaded if I missed it.

However, the chassis I used was advertised as having low compression, but it turned out there's nothing wrong with the engine, and it's an older one. I just built this one because it was different. So if I screwed this cylinder up I'll just cut down the better one and use that.
Yeah it is rich on high end and a Lil fat on low circuit too but the low circuit ports are spaced very far apart for a smooth transition. Plus I think it's a accelerator pump carb that isn't really pumping as it should. So like most all pumped carbs I've deleted the accelerator pump and run a torch tip cleaner through the 2nd and 3rd low circuit port and worked great on other carbs n saws. Just didn't mess with this carb yet just slotted splined needles so I can use a screwdriver. That running fat sound may also be the rev limiter too. I believe its,a 13k redline

For the ring location I put a mark with a sharpy about a 3/16" from the ring end slid it into the jug I think I'm about a strong 1/16" week 1/8" safe from edge of intake port

So like most all pumped carbs I've deleted the accelerator pump and run a torch tip cleaner through the 2nd and 3rd low circuit port and worked great on other carbs n saws. Just didn't mess with this carb yet just slotted splined needles so I can use a screwdriver. That running fat sound may also be the rev limiter too. I believe its,a 13k redline
I've never had a problem with the accelerator pumps - I like them because I don't have to set the idle as rich.

I have not detected any rev limiting on the Poulan ignitions. Have you run into any info about that? On my fastest one I run the older Phelan ignition & flywheel, but on this one I used the Walbro parts.

For the ring location I put a mark with a sharpy about a 3/16" from the ring end slid it into the jug I think I'm about a strong 1/16" week 1/8" safe from edge of intake port
It would not have been hard to deal with had I even thought about it, but on the older cylinders I'm used to the top edge of the intake is lower and the ring never gets into it. I would have just widened the intake to one side instead of both - I have several saws where the intake port is not centered. I'll have to wait until I get home tonight to see if I made a grenade or not.

I'm pretty sure they are a rev limited coil. My pp4620avx on turns 13k with stock exhaust or pipe on a digital tacH sounds like the pullchit was turning the same no load and light load I heard it starting to cut out when I lean it out in a cut.

I've never had a problem with the accelerator pumps - I like them because I don't have to set the idle as rich.

I have not detected any rev limiting on the Poulan ignitions. Have you run into any info about that? On my fastest one I run the older Phelan ignition & flywheel, but on this one I used the Walbro parts.

It would not have been hard to deal with had I even thought about it, but on the older cylinders I'm used to the top edge of the intake is lower and the ring never gets into it. I would have just widened the intake to one side instead of both - I have several saws where the intake port is not centered. I'll have to wait until I get home tonight to see if I made a grenade or not.
I noticed that too on the older jugs with the intake port running lower and if I'm not mistaken it is at a downward slope.
I might try relocating the pin on the piston one day so I can widen my intake I can't rotate my piston now cause the exhaust port is to wide now.

Well, I lucked out - there is no pin in the port, or ring end either! I'm betting it's really close, but it should be OK.

IMG_2321-1024.jpg

Here it is in all its glory. I had to use a mismatched clutch cover until I fix the brake on the green one. The muffler doesn't really look that rusty, it's a flash thing.
IMG_2325-1024.jpg

Now I can keep experimenting with this project.

Well, I lucked out - there is no pin in the port, or ring end either! I'm betting it's really close, but it should be OK.

View attachment 487702

Here it is in all its glory. I had to use a mismatched clutch cover until I fix the brake on the green one. The muffler doesn't really look that rusty, it's flash thing.
View attachment 487703

Now I can keep experimenting with this project.
Did you slot the bottom half of you baffle out

Did you slot the bottom half of you baffle out
I do them like the one on the right now:
IMG_5476-800.jpg
That's an older picture but I've used that same method on quite a few now. I put the opening towards the bottom - you could cut the top of the baffle but I like to pass the exhaust through a longer path before exit.

View attachment 487709
That's an older picture but I've used that same method on quite a few now. I put the opening towards the bottom - you could cut the top of the baffle but I like to pass the exhaust through a longer path before exit.
Me too. Next on the bench is a poulan wood shark strato 42cc. to flip it's cosmeticly nice with all stickers. It's gunna get a Lil muffler mod and I punched out the main carb a bit cause my 36cc strato woke up nice with muffler mod and carb work.

View attachment 487709
My pullchit is slotted like that with some bottom fuel dragster pipes on it.

Do we have a welded pop-up yet
I don't have the welding capability. Would probably be a pretty heavy piston by the time enough material was added to make a difference?

I'm going to run it as is for a bit and see how it works, then probably raise the sides of the piston skirt for better transfer access. In the mean time I'm trying to figure out what they intended with the transfers as they are made.

I had a chance to work on a smallish pignut hickory that fell over a couple of years ago, but was still alive even though now sideways. I took the video camera along with the best of intentions of doing a before and after comparison, but it didn't happen. The saw ran nicely, certainly competent, but not exciting. Then the fuel line kept splitting and the filter kept falling off, so I had to fix that. And before I knew it the engine was out and the saw in pieces! I don't even take the handles off these anymore to pull the engine.

At Mike's suggestion I've been looking at the piston skirt at the bottom of the open transfers. Here is the problem - at BDC the transfer is almost blocked by the way the piston meets the counterweights (this is a cutaway engine - try to picture the transfer runner in line with the pin):
IMG_2345-1024.jpg

I decided to use another piston and make the cut for the intake narrower, leaving more distance between that and the notches I was putting in for the transfers. Here is the notch for the transfers (upside down):
IMG_2332-1024.jpg

IMG_2334-1024.jpg

I was conservative about how high to make them. I reasoned that the thing runs OK without them, so I was just trying to augment the flow, and these transfers are narrower than earlier versions anyway. Plus, I did not want to shorten the transfer length, although that was just on a hunch as I have no good reason for that yet.

I only had time to fire it up and cut up a small walnut branch. It actually felt noticeably snappier, and I'm looking forward to trying it out in some real wood.
IMG_2339-1024.jpg
IMG_2338-1024.jpg

I had a chance to work on a smallish pignut hickory that fell over a couple of years ago, but was still alive even though now sideways. I took the video camera along with the best of intentions of doing a before and after comparison, but it didn't happen. The saw ran nicely, certainly competent, but not exciting. Then the fuel line kept splitting and the filter kept falling off, so I had to fix that. And before I knew it the engine was out and the saw in pieces! I don't even take the handles off these anymore to pull the engine.

At Mike's suggestion I've been looking at the piston skirt at the bottom of the open transfers. Here is the problem - at BDC the transfer is almost blocked by the way the piston meets the counterweights (this is a cutaway engine - try to picture the transfer runner in line with the pin):
View attachment 488897

I decided to use another piston and make the cut for the intake narrower, leaving more distance between that and the notches I was putting in for the transfers. Here is the notch for the transfers (upside down):
View attachment 488901

View attachment 488900

I was conservative about how high to make them. I reasoned that the thing runs OK without them, so I was just trying to augment the flow, and these transfers are narrower than earlier versions anyway. Plus, I did not want to shorten the transfer length, although that was just on a hunch as I have no good reason for that yet.

I only had time to fire it up and cut up a small walnut branch. It actually felt noticeably snappier, and I'm looking forward to trying it out in some real wood.
View attachment 488899
View attachment 488898
Ok ur gunna hate this then. I think you still can go higher with the skirt for transfer. It loss more opened up now but when you have the bearing saddle there in view nearing bdc it still looks a bit tight. Jmo the simple odd **** with these small cheep engines can really change the way they run and respond. Looking forward to a vid

Back