Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"I'm not as young as I once was, but I'm as young once as I ever was.":rock:

Mr. HE:cool:

Yeah. Being able to run is good. When I lost that ability, I realized a noisy death was highly likely, even more so than before. I sauntered along for a year, then had one of those direct indicators that reduced my timber falling actives to a true hobby level. It was a tree that went into another tree, that went into another tree, all I could do is stand there and watch.
Bob is my hero.

Yeah. Being able to run is good. When I lost that ability, I realized a noisy death was highly likely, even more so than before. I sauntered along for a year, then had one of those direct indicators that reduced my timber falling actives to a true hobby level. It was a tree that went into another tree, that went into another tree, all I could do is stand there and watch.
Bob is my hero.

LOL...nothing heroic about me...just too dumb to quit. Besides which I failed the "charming personality" part of the pre employment exam to be a greeter at WalMart.

You're right about those "direct indicators", though. A guy (or gal) had best pay attention when those little life lessons come along and adjust your game plan accordingly. I've spent enough time in plaster and stitches. I didn't like it then...no reason to believe I'd like it any better now.

I want to know the story behind the wood angles in the face and that side stepping action. Looked like it was in the butt of the tree..

Looks to me like he either had a really thin hinge, or the face broke it early, and the crown made it roll.

Hard to say though.

Right now is one of those times. Waitin for the store to open at 8 to get my machine running again. Burning daylight. Its been a rough start. The actual physical labor, bruises, cuts, etc... is not the hard part. Its the stress and justifing spending my money before I make it. The, "What is going to break today" kind of thing. I've got a machine that is 20 years old and is in far better shape than a lot of them at that age, but man its just nickel and diming me! I'm turning wrenches almost daily. Its supposed to rain starting this afternoon too until Friday. I'm not trying to ##### or complain and I won't from here on out (on this site anyway). But like you guys said, it is doing something that most guys daydream about at their desks. The moments when you've cleared out a spot for a hard leaning bastard to swing into and you've got all you're cuts set up and as it starts to tip you you see the top headed for the hole just like it was meant to go there. I have a college education and I could be sitting behind a desk right now probably making $70-$80k. I did not want to be one of those guys, never knowing what its like, old and grey, regretting that I was too much of chicken #### to take the dive. Well now I'm in deep trying to figure out how to swim. I've got to figure out what kind of beer my truck driver drinks, hes got me on the backburner for guys he has worked with all his life. I guess I can't blame him though, but he better start picking my wood up on a regular basis. I NEED a check every week. He always seems to show up after the cut off for the week pushing it to the next. Well I gotta split now. Store is open in 15 minutes. I can't wait to get back in the woods! Thanks again boys!

I heard that too. The guy who said it was hobbling around on ankles that were broken once, and all the other injuries. He was in his 60s and didn't run so well anymore.

I prefer the term, skedaddle. Or sometimes, mosey.

Your right about that the The Old Guy wasn't going to win any foot races. Well heck I'm and old guy now to and I'm not as fleet of foot as I used to be. That "Old Guy" label got here quicker than I thought it would.

Right now is one of those times. Waitin for the store to open at 8 to get my machine running again. Burning daylight. Its been a rough start. The actual physical labor, bruises, cuts, etc... is not the hard part. Its the stress and justifing spending my money before I make it. The, "What is going to break today" kind of thing. I've got a machine that is 20 years old and is in far better shape than a lot of them at that age, but man its just nickel and diming me! I'm turning wrenches almost daily. Its supposed to rain starting this afternoon too until Friday.

Yup...welcome to our world. Spending money before you make it? Normal. Machinery breaking down? Normal. Doing all-night maintenance marathons to get the machinery up and running for the next day...and then running it all day and hoping nothing breaks so you can go home and actually sleep for a couple of hours that night? Normal. Catching a couple of hours sleep scrunched up on the pickup seat 'cause there wasn't time to go home and having a can of cold beans for breakfast? Normal.

After awhile you'll figure what your high wear items are and keep a few on hand. Maintenance doesn't cost near as much as downtime.

We won't even talk about taxes and depreciation schedules, and taxes, and permit fees, and taxes, and parts bills, and fuel bills, and insurance, and taxes, and trucking costs and....

They never showed all this stuff on AxeMen.

LOL...maybe this ought to be moved to the Whining Thread.

Last edited:
Sure does felt like I had one at the end of the day going up and down that slope lol.

I really hate to seem like a slope snob, but that there ground doesn't have enough elevation change to even bother mentioning.:msp_wink:

I really hate to seem like a slope snob, but that there ground doesn't have enough elevation change to even bother mentioning.:msp_wink:

While I tend to agree with you there, I will say this, if you are used to flat ground and you get into even a lil bit of steep stuff it'll have your knees bawlin like a bastard calf

While I tend to agree with you there, I will say this, if you are used to flat ground and you get into even a lil bit of steep stuff it'll have your knees bawlin like a bastard calf

In addition, cameras can play funny tricks on ya. Sometimes they don't quite capture the severity without a point of reference.

Latest posts

Back