Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really hate to seem like a slope snob, but that there ground doesn't have enough elevation change to even bother mentioning.:msp_wink:

Mr. HE:cool:

I know it doesn't look like #### to me either, but I know the Appalachians and its broken ground, so if you're averaging 40% slopes over a unit and theres a good bit of 30% and some 60% and some 100%, you love the easy but sure notice the steeps. The skidder isn't on bladed skid trails so it has a fair bit of moderate slope there,youcould run a heck of a lot faster if that skidder was ona bench instead of a sidelin. I'm cutting similar ground now and I will say this, its ####ing gravy compaired to what I cut in WV. You could easily bump that avg. slope from 40% to 60% plus, and it was less broken.

Anyhow, good pics, looks like really nice job

I know it doesn't look like #### to me either, but I know the Appalachians and its broken ground, so if you're averaging 40% slopes over a unit and theres a good bit of 30% and some 60% and some 100%, you love the easy but sure notice the steeps. The skidder isn't on bladed skid trails so it has a fair bit of moderate slope there,youcould run a heck of a lot faster if that skidder was ona bench instead of a sidelin. I'm cutting similar ground now and I will say this, its ####ing gravy compaired to what I cut in WV. You could easily bump that avg. slope from 40% to 60% plus, and it was less broken.

Anyhow, good pics, looks like really nice job

There are plenty of places where if you drop your saw, it is going for a ride. I saw some very nasty ground right in Roanoke a few miles form tanglewood mall.

More stump butchery. Today I did all Humboldts. I do not do them well. I need practice. This is the result of trying successfully to swing a tree a little bit from where it wanted to go. I left a thick hinge on the one side, then remembering to cut longer, cut the hinge off on the other side, the tree slammed down so fast I did not get my bar out, but no damage done. The tree hit right on target, much to my surprise. Most required a Kubota Assist to get them on the ground.

Here's the horrible stump.
202631d1318471276-ppthin0001-jpg

My Froo Froo pickup weighted down.
202632d1318471279-ppthin0001_1-jpg

The patch.
202633d1318471281-ppthin0001_2-jpg

View attachment 202631View attachment 202632View attachment 202633

Last edited:
I'm guessing about 50 ft^2/ac BA and 20% LCR left in the residual stand -- far off?

I'm just cutting the suppressed ones. We had a discussion about cutting the bigger ones. I convinced her to wait, and maybe ask a real forester who knows about growing trees, to see if maybe the bigger ones would grow more without thinning. They already have a log in them. She is planning a real harvest in the near future, just another species in another area of their place.

I mostly know about killing trees and getting them out. Which, the getting them out takes a lot of maneuvering of the little Kubota. I have to think about this before I dump the trees. I am also the choker setter. :redface:

I do have a little teeney tiny orange wedge. I could try it...I used it to get stuck windows open in an old house.

We could use a teeny tiny skidder too, with a nice winch on it. We are also lacking a log truck driver to give us advice and "information" from the scale shack.

Slowp

Want some really really small wedges? I ordered some stuff from Baileys and I must have hit the wrong button. Included in the order were three of the tiniest wedges I've ever seen. Each is so little it will fit in the palm of my hand. Looks like about 5". I don't have an idea what I'd use them for.

Trade for a huckleberry pie?

Want some really really small wedges? I ordered some stuff from Baileys and I must have hit the wrong button. Included in the order were three of the tiniest wedges I've ever seen. Each is so little it will fit in the palm of my hand. Looks like about 5". I don't have an idea what I'd use them for.

Will the UPS guy fling the pie against the door of your house, like he did with my package today? Which wasn't breakable. I do have two of those wedges. I've used one once, in my backyard to get a tree down.
The trees are all going the way I want them, but they still get snagged in the tops of the leave trees. I swear there is a tractor beam put out by leave trees. The cut trees get sucked right in. There are no rocks to throw at the trees, just chunks of elk poop. I haven't tried that.

Today, I announce that the tree would go right into the blackberries. And it did, after we pulled it loose from the leave tree.

I'll take the teeny wedge out tomorrow. But they do work great for unsticking windows. Don't tap them too hard though, the window could break.

They make good door stops

I accidentally got a few of those two, so small they kind of creep me out. Laughable little things.

Nice pics mingo! looks like fun.

Bob, I believe I am coming around to the acceptance stage of logging, as in this is the way its going to be for a while. Its never a dull moment.

Cut for five hours in the rain this morning. It's funny how you can't tell how hard its raining when you're in it and it gradually picks up. Fueling up the last time I realized how much of a dirty dishrag I was. Decieded to call it. Here are a few from this morning.

Yep, cookied this one. Shouldn't have made it the first stump of the day. Just outside of 4ft. The 32" bar doesn't get much play as you can see. I mostly run 25-28" as most of what I'm cutting is 20-30" dbh.
attachment.php

Stump number two.
attachment.php

attachment.php

This is why we look up! This branch came out of the second oak and was nearly catapulted out of the small hickory it hung in. The butt of it looked to be about 6-8" and probably 15' to 20' long. As the tree started to tip I ran about 20 steps and watched the action. As I saw the limb come out and the hickory bend away and start to come back in my direction I was at a FULL sprint out of there, yelling, "####,####,####!" That got the heart goin a little.
attachment.php

View attachment 202691
View attachment 202692
View attachment 202693
View attachment 202694

Last edited:
This is why we look up! This branch came out of the second oak and was nearly catapulted out of the small hickory it hung in. The butt of it looked to be about 6-8" and probably 15' to 20' long. As the tree started to tip I ran about 20 steps and watched the action. As I saw the limb come out and the hickory bend away and start to come back in my direction I was at a FULL sprint out of there, yelling, "####,####,####!" That got the heart goin a little.

Great picture of a potential throwback. I think that is an often-neglected hazard. Of course, if it's a widowmaker now, that's almost just as bad...

Latest posts

Back