Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Loven the Silveys, have a whole collection of Duff-Norton's and plates. Use the twin Silveys the most, you can see why you need the gages. It can get real interesting if you cuter off, where it will go. Local fallers climbed and rigged a big Redwood this week and pulled it, it will get scaled tomorrow, it was like 7 1log loads mostly on a low bed. In a normal year in the past we would get several one log short log loads, them days is gone mostly. Wife took the camera so no pictures to prove it...

Last edited:
Loven the Silveys, have a whole collection of Duff-Norton's and plates. Use the twin Silveys the most, you can see why you need the gages. It can get real interesting if you cuter off, where it will go. Local fallers climbed and rigged a big Redwood this week and pulled it, it will get scaled tomorrow, it was like 7 1log loads mostly on a low bed. In a normal year in the past we would get several one log short log loads, them days is gone mostly. Wife took the camera so no pictures to prove it...

That wouldn't happen to be a private ground job with Jerry B taking pictures would it?

Bitzer, those hard maples can have really heavy tops, eh. Deceptively. And big, and bushy, a great way to brush out a bunch of other stems you need to top is to lay a hard maple down with them.

Hollow too, and that heavy top, no wonder it broke off the hinge as it was falling. But, good enough. Thats when we say "#### it" and carry on. #### it.

Great work, and your butts look good, nice clean cutting. Are you circling around from your dutchman to cut your good side to get them to match, or just careful?

Are you trimming all that flare off for hauling?

Had a couple of Beech to lay down today both with their own problems the first one had a bad lean into another tree so had to take a few liberties with the hinge and it was lifting it's root plate then the next was badly decayed with a crown wanting to pull it sideways into a load of small trees and shrubs along with a fence but I was in luck as I only had to do the best I could since the fence was being replaced and was told not to worry about the small stuff so ended up killing a small Euc and a bit iof shrub and a load of ear ache from the woman who rents the house next to the tree !
The first gave a 8' , 14' and two 10's for milling and a heap of firewood. and it was a great day for the first week of November.
Only got a couple of the second tree and battery went in my camera so when I go back to clear up I will get a couple more and post.

Last edited:
attachment.php

October 29,2011. Last tree on the job and the biggest and only one pulled. Around 30mbf gross scale. Yes Jerry B. took the pictures, I wasn't there.

Sup everyone, my pc broke so Im not around much. I bucked some nice sitka spruce recently, been busy
that's about it. Il try and get some pics up somehow. Hope everyone is havin fun and stayin healthy!

Bitzer, those hard maples can have really heavy tops, eh. Deceptively. And big, and bushy, a great way to brush out a bunch of other stems you need to top is to lay a hard maple down with them.

Hollow too, and that heavy top, no wonder it broke off the hinge as it was falling. But, good enough. Thats when we say "#### it" and carry on. #### it.

Great work, and your butts look good, nice clean cutting. Are you circling around from your dutchman to cut your good side to get them to match, or just careful?

Are you trimming all that flare off for hauling?

Yeah I tell ya a few days of flush cutting maple logs gets me beggin for ash or hickory. The tree looked nice and sound as it stood, but as soon as I layed into the back cut I knew. This is a pretty mature woods. Some big white oaks, 5-6' dbh and big maples. The majority of the maple seems to be overripe. The big white oaks are staying. That hollow maple I jacked is going on the log pile, but its up to the trucker to swing it on or past his truck to the firewood pile. It was hollow all the way to the top.

Thanks for compliments on the cuts! My crappy cell pics might make them look better than they are. Generally I put the face in and then cut the entire far side off, pistol grip pointing to the lay. Then I either back bar the rest or just dog in and swing through on my side. Depending on the size of the tree I may need to back bar out towards the other side and cut some more off until I can come back to the hinge on my side. I usually don't circle from the other side unless my hands have had enough back-barring for the day. I think you said it about the circulation going in your hands. Mine feel like ballons every morning or like they are asleep. Most of my cuts are from the near side of the tree. Yeah in type it sounds all garbled as hell I'm sure. I do flush up the butts. It usually doesn't take much and the mill is not crazy picky. I haven't heard any complaints yet and the forester says he likes the look of my logs. I'm not a real nut for low stumps, but If I've got a tree that I need those extra inches to get a decent first log or I'm going to be driving over it its going low. I would say the vast majority of my stumps get a humboldt. Thanks again!

Last edited:
The dirty secret to Wisconsin handfalling- Makin 8' 4" pulp/firewood sticks.

attachment.php

Waited almost three days for a ####in wing bearing! So I figured it was time for a little TSI. Normally I would just cut these along with the logs and hand bunch them all together. There are several spots on this job with all pulp sticks though, so I figured I'd get it done when I can't move logs. Yes I know, thrilling. Just trying to show the seamy under-belly. There is something very old-school about hand bunching pulp sticks.

View attachment 206206

It depends on what type of wood and how tall. I cut basswood whips all day Sat. They were 50-60' tall. I used my tape for those. These ironwoods were only 30-40' tall and the tape's nail doesn't like to stay in the wood much. Usually I just cut a small 8' straight piece and use that for my stick in this situation. The pickeroon ends up being more of a pain than anything for me. Something else to drag around.

Yrs ago for our senior trip we went to the southeast. C60's with front & rear bunks were backed into the brush then the pulp cutters carried a 8' whip, used bows instead of bars, & hand loaded.

I cannot recall how many loads they could get in a day.

It was amazing how far they could back those trucks into the brush. They would put the inside rear view mirror on a stalk outside for better side clearance.

The Russians thinning on the Westside reminded me of those pulp cutters in terms of efficiency.

Well I made a stump today. Around 23" sycamore with a good lean. I had to back bar the undercut since the 576 doesn't have a full wrap. If I stood in the creek it was around head high. I'm a little rusty but I hit both corners on the first try. Took the pic from on top of the log.

attachment.php

This one is for HBRN. Some of us really make a living cutting trees, not just bull####ting about it.

Tippin the last tree of the day. It was slowly brushing through on its way down. Time to sharpen some chains, clean my filter, get my coffee and lunch made, and maybe suck a beer or two watchin something violent or a western. Can't wait for freeze up.
attachment.php

View attachment 206638

This one is for HBRN. Some of us really make a living cutting trees, not just bull####ting about it.

Wish I could make a living BS'ing about it, seems it would be lots cleaner and probably pay more.

Mr. HE:cool:

Back