Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heres a couple of my imfamous Cotton woods. First one you can see hinge is just opening wedge is dropping. Second one is just a slight hill that have a bunch of em on.

View attachment 204177View attachment 204178

204177d1319429881-dsc_0044-jpg

204178d1319430007-dsc_0063-2-jpg

Here is a few pics of a job a couple of weeks ago in the largest collage in the country or as far as we were concerned the most crowded !! We spent two days falling and chipping with far to many distractions in tight clothes and that was just the guys !!!
Just looked at the pics I took and didn't take to many, there were 6 eucs and about 16 Holm Oaks along with 4 larch and a Sitka Spruce.

This was some of last week, Friday, then Tue and Wed at another collage in Dublin falling hazard trees and some Elms ready for a new water collection development. As you can see in the pics it got a bit wet !

Not a fallin' pic, but a big tree pic; part of it anyways. Fremont Cottonwood.

Fell some pinon pine the other day for the landlord. Nothin' special, but it sure did smell good! Damn the falling itch!!

attachment.php

That is a good size tree ! I know what you mean about that "itch" If I'm not out falling or climbing for someone I have an arrangement with a local estate that I do the storm/natural damage and turn it into fire wood which is great since I'm always in work , but, after a few days I start looking for things that "need" to be worked on !

Didn't really take any falling pics, kind of going through a bit of faller's burnout. Just a few random pics from work.

Home sweet home.
View attachment 204783

Guess I did get a falling pic of cutting pard.
View attachment 204784

That's your timber guy! Ugly stuff on the East side of the divide at 7000 feet. Not sure why we're there.
View attachment 204785

Cuttin pard saying hi. Good dude.
View attachment 204786

Bridgers
View attachment 204787

Nice pics Sam, that's some grodey country it looks like about half of what was there has been down and rottin for a few years :jester:

One more.

Yours truly with some more of those money sticks in the background and the Friday, headed-out, #### show in the truck.
View attachment 204788

Hope you all had a good, safe week - Sam

Sam,

Given the appearance of that timber, how do you get paid. Is it by the hour, tree, board foot, day or what? That appears to be some rough stuff.

Are you making a go of it out there?

Have a good one,

Sam

Randy, just sick of cutting high elevation ####. It's work though. Brittle ####, won't swing worth a damn. As for saw color, I like my huskies too.......but those 2 stihls are just where I want 'em.

Sam- we are hourly on this crap. I wouldn't be there if it weren't. The timber is old as ####,tight as hell grained Doug Fir. It's got massive strength to weight ratio....so that's why they want the ####. The mill's geared for studs, so all they need is 9 relatively straight feet in the log here and there to make it pay. It still don't quite make sense to me.......but it must be working for the big boss.

Last edited:
Randy, just sick of cutting high elevation ####. It's work though. Brittle ####, won't swing worth a damn. As for saw color, I like my huskies too.......but those 2 stihls are just where I want 'em.

Sam- we are hourly on this crap. I wouldn't be there if it weren't. The timber is old as ####,tight as hell grained Doug Fir. It's got massive strengh to weight ratio....so that's why they want the ####. The mill's geared for studs, so all they need is 9 relatively straight feet in the log here and there to make it pay. It still don't quite make sense to me.......but it must be working for the big boss.

Hi elevation fir has a growth ring every 1/32". :dizzy:

Makes great firewood! Dense as a politicians head. :laugh:

Keep yer chin up. :)

Hi elevation fir has a growth ring every 1/32". :dizzy:

Makes great firewood! Dense as a politicians head. :laugh:

Keep yer chin up. :)

You want firewood, you got it. We're required to cut all snags, popped 2 fir snags the other day that were 36" across the butt. Too much spiral check to make logs, but holy hell, what nice firewood! Too bad it's so far from home. It'd be worth taking a horse trailer to get. The yarder boys had a real nice landing fire cooking.

Sam- we are hourly on this crap. I wouldn't be there if it weren't. The timber is old as ####,tight as hell grained Doug Fir. It's got massive strength to weight ratio....so that's why they want the ####. The mill's geared for studs, so all they need is 9 relatively straight feet in the log here and there to make it pay. It still don't quite make sense to me.......but it must be working for the big boss.

Ah yes, I was wondering, how a person could get good footage numbers with that stuff in the photos. Is it heli'd out or skidded out or do they use a forwarder? Do you buck to length where it is dropped or pull it out tree length and then buck somewhere else?

It would be interesting to see the company numbers on that job, hard to imagine it being profitable, even if you had a laser beam that could cut the tree down in a few seconds, still rough to walk to enough trees just to touch the footage, then still have to get it off the hill.

Neat stuff,

Sam

You want firewood, you got it. We're required to cut all snags, popped 2 fir snags the other day that were 36" across the butt. Too much spiral check to make logs, but holy hell, what nice firewood! Too bad it's so far from home. It'd be worth taking a horse trailer to get. The yarder boys had a real nice landing fire cooking.

Yeah, it does suck you're so far, or I'd be on that like white on rice.

I remember burning up some nice firewood on the landing. . . But I also remember not feeling bad about it when you were wet and cold, and the snow was up to your jimmy. :laugh:

Back