Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah yes, I was wondering, how a person could get good footage numbers with that stuff in the photos. Is it heli'd out or skidded out or do they use a forwarder? Do you buck to length where it is dropped or pull it out tree length and then buck somewhere else?

It would be interesting to see the company numbers on that job, hard to imagine it being profitable, even if you had a laser beam that could cut the tree down in a few seconds, still rough to walk to enough trees just to touch the footage, then still have to get it off the hill.

Neat stuff,

Sam

All yarder wood. If it's over roughly 23" on the stump, we sidehill it and pull a log off. Otherwise, straight down the hill and the stroker takes care of it in the landing. Supposedly, due to the tight grain, this is primo ####. It must be working out for the big boss, otherwise we wouldn't be doing it, and the mill is screaming for wood. Go figure. No one close to home wants any wood. Local mills have us on load qouta. At least it's a job at the moment. Keeping 3 yarders going, along with two strokers, 1 clipper, 2 skidders, 1 loader and 5 trucks. We'll take it. Got 3 yarders running on other jobs spread across the state as well. 50 men working in the woods for one company, in this economy, in Montata, ain't a bad thing. We'll keep going till we can't - Sam

All yarder wood. If it's over roughly 23" on the stump, we sidehill it and pull a log off. Otherwise, straight down the hill and the stroker takes care of it in the landing. Supposedly, due to the tight grain, this is primo ####. It must be working out for the big boss, otherwise we wouldn't be doing it, and the mill is screaming for wood. Go figure. No one close to home wants any wood. Local mills have us on load qouta. At least it's a job at the moment. Keeping 3 yarders going, along with two strokers, 1 clipper, 2 skidders, 1 loader and 5 trucks. We'll take it. Got 3 yarders running on other jobs spread across the state as well. 50 men working in the woods for one company, in this economy, in Montata, ain't a bad thing. We'll keep going till we can't - Sam

Yup...get it while you can. Our mills are still screaming for logs. The Annual Fall Panic. We're going six days a week. Same old thing every year. One more cup of coffee and I'm out the door and up the hill. Take care Sam.

Hi John, yes the bar is good and Im surprised by the chain Woodland Pro ? you don't really see it in the pics but those Chestnuts have real "loopy" branches so you tend to almost pinch a bit on the tip on the small stuff 'cause you don't always see what it's doing and it went very well and even after finding some wire in a couple of the Ash it took an edge well and quick by hand.

Didn't really take any falling pics, kind of going through a bit of faller's burnout. Just a few random pics from work.
It happens. Just make sure you don't get hit, a burnt out moment is a real bad time to take a hit.

yarder man is on his way for a visit. maybe we'll get a target start date, that'll add about 2 mmbf, hmmmm.

Another Cotton wood pic on a short steep face,landed the thing up on the ridge so we can drag it out with a shovel.
attachment.php

I'm not seeing it either Brian. . . When I right click on the icon that's in the place of your picture, it says "invalid attachment".

Looks like you're working a mild slope there.:jester:

Mr. HE:cool:

About like my last one, every 12" forward took you 18" up.

Nice pics Brian!

Kid- I'll pm you when I get a rain day. Been crazy busy.

Sam- My advice to you is to start drinking heavily! A good hangover lets you know you're alive. Changes your whole perspective on ####. I've got similar saw problems- changing over to orange tomorrow.

Heres a couple from this week- Yep, pancake job.

attachment.php

attachment.php

High stumpin a couple of beauties.
attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 205466
View attachment 205467
View attachment 205468
View attachment 205469

Franklin 132. Yep its a forwarder. Most of my jobs have very tight landings like this. I'm going to need a cable skidder in the near future though for jobs that I can use it on.

Well, I tested the limits of my homemade jack today and found them. Hard leaning maple over a drive way with the top swooping out over the driveway. I didn't want to deal with the mess and also did not want to hit the electrical box on the other side.

Single stack nearly snugged up and no movement of the top. At this point I realized the gravity of my situation. I was in for some fun.
attachment.php

Here I had it nearly standing up. I was hugging the stem while stepping on the pipe to work the plunger. Somewhere around this point I heard a crack that was not wood. The wood was definetely talking to me though.
attachment.php

The jack continued to lift and I had to throw a block in under a wedge to keep it going. Eventually I ran out of lift and had to cut er off. Brought it around 90 degrees though and back in the woods.

attachment.php

Guess its time for the 20 ton stubby.
attachment.php

I left the jack on the stump and kept cutting. The mill's forester showed up later and said he'd never even heard of anyone doing that. He said I should let him know before I jack another one over so he can video it. I thought that was funny.
View attachment 205596
View attachment 205597
View attachment 205598
View attachment 205599

Looks like the jack couldn't take the lateral forces at work on it.

Time for this little fella...
hijacker_sm.jpg

By the way, looks like Silvey got 'em a new website. Looks good!

Back