Fast, effective, poison ivy/climbing vine killer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess you could scrape the vine open, apply 2,4D, and let it die before removing it. This would get rid of the foliage, which is the biggest source of rashes. You can get it from the vine, too, but dealing with a dry vine is better than dealing with 4,000 leaves.

You can clean your tools later. I would not use a motorized tool on it, because they are hard to clean.

This is what the guy at Home Depot suggested, but wasn't sure about whether or not multiple applications were needed - so I thought I'd seek out a more knowledgeable source, hence my joining here.

Essentially, I'm trying to kill the ivy quickly (without need for multiple applications) and without harming the tree(s). The grass near the tree is expendable in the near-term.

IMG_7181.jpgIMG_7181a.jpg

Well at $90 a gallon for crossbow concentrate, its is expensive to me. It works really good, and yes only targets woody/broadleaf plants. So a cheaper option with similar performance would be great.
He said "crossroad," not "crossbow." It is $72/gallon on Amazon, still a lot more than generic glyphosate.

Excellent point. Thank you.

By "stems" do you mean any part of the ivy which is above ground - the leaves and the stems of the leaves?

Is there a way to de-oil the dead stuff/render it harmless?
Any and all parts of the plant contains the oil. So transfer can still happen if it's dead. I guess only time will help as the oils degrade/evaporate. I don't know. And if you are very sensitive to it, be careful burning the brush. SUPPOSEDLY, the oils can become air borne and contact to the skin/eyes can cause the rash. Breathing problems can also occur if the smoke is inhaled. That's what THEY say.

This is what the guy at Home Depot suggested, but wasn't sure about whether or not multiple applications were needed - so I thought I'd seek out a more knowledgeable source, hence my joining here.

Essentially, I'm trying to kill the ivy quickly (without need for multiple applications) and without harming the tree(s). The grass near the tree is expendable in the near-term.

View attachment 1183041View attachment 1183044
My neighbor gave me a small bottle of than when he moved. I used it on some poison ivy and it did the trick. Not sure what else it might kill. Google the label for it and see what it says. Regular roundup is weak on PI. Whatever you get, READ the label!

Any and all parts of the plant contains the oil. So transfer can still happen if it's dead. I guess only time will help as the oils degrade/evaporate. I don't know. And if you are very sensitive to it, be careful burning the brush. SUPPOSEDLY, the oils can become air borne and contact to the skin/eyes can cause the rash. Breathing problems can also occur if the smoke is inhaled. That's what THEY say.
I can confirm that if your sensitive to it, burning it and breathing the smoke as my mom did, is not a pleasant experience. It doesn't bother me, but some of my family members, if they so much as even look at it they break out.

My mother thinks she killed a large oak by spraying the PI at the base. To start, if you can find a major stem cut it close to the ground (I usually cut a chunk out). Paint your preferred killer on the ends of the PI stem and see how much dies after a day or so. Anything still going strong... see if you can find it's supply stem and repeat. As others have said it may take a couple years for the active oils to die. But at least you've stopped the choking until you can dispose of the ivy sans leaves.

THANKS loads for all the responses! I greatly appreciate every detail & warning.

Another question, since Crossbow seems to be the favored recommendation... what's the difference between the various Crossbow products out there: one by Southern Ag, another by Winfield, another named "Crossbow QT", etc? Because of the cost, I'm trying to get the least amount of the most effective product.

Thanks again.

THANKS loads for all the responses! I greatly appreciate every detail & warning.

Another question, since Crossbow seems to be the favored recommendation... what's the difference between the various Crossbow products out there: one by Southern Ag, another by Winfield, another named "Crossbow QT", etc? Because of the cost, I'm trying to get the least amount of the most effective product.

Thanks again.
The stuff I'm using is the Winfield, brand shouldn't matter, but check the ingredients to be sure.

I'm a regular user of crossbow for PI, honeysuckle and lawn weeds. I use it at 2.5oz/gallon, so filling a 2-gallon sprayer costs about $3.00. That would be plenty to clear the PI around dozens or trees. Then come back in a week or two with a pruning saw and cut the vines from the trunk.

Thanks again.
Check the brands available to you and look at the percentage of active ingredient. It will usually be the first one listed. The higher the percentage the better bang for you buck. I'm not familiar with crossbow because I have access to some restricted use herbicides.

I’ve used 2,4-D and triclopyr and dicamba to cook poison ivy in the past. If you can find something with dicamba in it that’ll really burn it down. The Diquat in that roundup branded mix is some nasty stuff !! PPE up for sure with that stuff !!

Cutting it down to 6” above ground and “painting” it on the stems is the best way to kill it. Spraying it doesn’t do much as the leaves are all oily.

Back