favorite wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

injun joe

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
alright as long as i have been selling wood no to long i always get people telling they liek the wood for certain reasons. so i was just curious what your guy's favorite wood was. mine happens to be cotton wood. im not going off btu rating cuz to us down here dont matter just cuz it burns hot dont make it great.?

Well seasoned oak, or half green Cherry.

That's my Favorites cuz it's what I have.

Ash would win if there was any left around here.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Any kind of hickory, preferably shagbark
right behind that has got to be white and red oak.

My wood pile is so mixed up I don't have a clue what is going on. The power company came through last year and cut down about 200 trees on my property and left me the wood. The piles are mixed with Locust, Sycamore, Oak, Ash, Shagbark Hickory, Cherry, Honesuckle, Soft Maple and Cedar. By the time I went into the field and gathered it up and then stacked it based on the weird lengths of 12-48 inches that they cut - the wood pile is a complete mix of all the species that grow around here. I do know that the heavier pieces burn longer.....and that is about as much as I can figure out so far. I do know that the Sycamore and Cedar are very light once seasoned and they burn up quickly, and the Oak and Hickory are heavy and burn a long time.

FREE wood always burns the best especially when its delivered .it made me feel all warm and cozy watching a tree service dump the 60 inch oak log in my driveway from a tree removal job down the road aways.
lazy buggars could have cut and split it too,but i guess i'd be asking a little much

Call me crazy, but right now aspen and pine are my favorite, and here is why. I go to work at 5:30, and am usually running late. I go down in the basement and throw in 2 aspen splits, then 3-4 2X4 size pieces of pine horizontaly. Let that go for about 10 min and it really heats up fast, then a few cherry splits on top of that and it brings up the house from 65 ish to 72-73 quickly. I am out the door in 15 min or so, and when my wife and kids get up at 7 its nice and warm.

But, for overnight I love all the maple I have. I cut some shagbark hickory this summer, but its for next year so we will see how that goes.

prefrence for overnight/cold days (whats avalible to me):

Hickory
Sugar maple
yellow birch
cherry
grey birch
white birch

restart/fast warm up:

white birch
aspen
pine
boxelder

:agree2: Free is good. Free and seasoned better. Free, seasoned, split and stacked best.

Someone to load the OWB, priceless. :cheers:

Has to be Ash, it doesn't burn as hot as red oak, but it splits so easy and lights fast I can get a good fire started with it in 5 mins. Ash also takes about the least time to season and coals really well. I like white oak also it burns really hot but it is a little tough to split.

Pound for pound, dry mulberry kicks out the most heat of them all. Hard to believe, but it even beats locust, oak, and hickory--it's plentiful competitors. That's measured in BTUs/lb of wood burned.

Note that dry mulberry is far short of the density of locust, oak, and hickory. Just where it gets all of its heat content is a mystery to me. Problem is, you have to let it season almost a full year, depending somewhat on when you cut and split it. Green mulberry is extremely heavy because the tree is a drunkard.

This year I am blessed with a 1.2 cords of dry, split mulberry. :cheers:

Pound for pound, dry mulberry kicks out the most heat of them all. Hard to believe, but it even beats locust, oak, and hickory--it's plentiful competitors. That's measured in BTUs/lb of wood burned.

Note that dry mulberry is far short of the density of locust, oak, and hickory. Just where it gets all of its heat content is a mystery to me. Problem is, you have to let it season almost a full year, depending somewhat on when you cut and split it. Green mulberry is extremely heavy because the tree is a drunkard.

I thought I read somewhere that all wood has the same BTUs/pound??? They are different in their BTU/volume. I could be wrong but I swear I read that somewhere...

I have to disagree every btu per cord chart I have looked at has mulberry about 10th down on the list at around 25.8 MBTU's / cord
Who weighs there wood? I think we all measure our wood by cords, or volume, how much we can fit in our stove.

Last edited:
I thought I read somewhere that all wood has the same BTUs/pound??? They are different in their BTU/volume. I could be wrong but I swear I read that somewhere...

Not quite the same per pound. Depends on the lignin/cellulose ratio in the wood... which means softwoods with higher lignin content contain more btu/lb I believe. It's just that when going by volume, the higher energy in the lignin is trumped most of the time by the higher mass per volume in denser hardwoods.

Mine is: Or any wood I can get my hands on if I have nothing left ;-)

Tes

You got that right, 3 years ago I was burning 1 week old fresh cut soft maple and red oak. Did it burn well? No. Did it heat my house? Yes

:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back