File brands

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwaugh

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got an Oregon saw sharpening kit awhile ago (I wanted the depth gauge and roll mostly), I haven't used all the files yet, but the 4mm 5/32" file seemed of very poor quality. Is this a fluke? I'm filing Stihl chain, which I hear is harder, so that may be part of it. I was going to order a box of the Oregon files thinking maybe I just got a bad one, or should I just get Stihl files (or some other brand files). I realize files are consumables, but I want something decent. Thanks

I use only Oregon files (7/32") at work and I have never had issue with quality. They last for a few sharpenings on 28' full comp. Usually filing Stihl chain, as well.
At home I use Save Edge. Very long life. I've also used and liked Pferd, Stihl, and Obergs

I use only Oregon files (7/32") at work and I have never had issue with quality. They last for a few sharpenings on 28' full comp. Usually filing Stihl chain, as well.
At home I use Save Edge. Very long life. I've also used and liked Pferd, Stihl, and Obergs
Thanks, I may just get the box of Oregon files then, my sharpening needs are minor compared to most on the forum.

Stihl files are goofy sizes. They fit Stihl chains. No issue if you are paying attention to your filing, but I was surprised at how an oregon 3/8 chain shaped up after a while using a very slightly undersized Stihl file while not really watching what was happening to the hook. Apparently that 1/64" makes a difference. Or is it 1/32"?

Stihl files are goofy sizes. They fit Stihl chains. No issue if you are paying attention to your filing, but I was surprised at how an oregon 3/8 chain shaped up after a while using a very slightly undersized Stihl file while not really watching what was happening to the hook. Apparently that 1/64" makes a difference. Or is it 1/32"?
Yeah, certainly the fractional inch to mm conversion used causally in marketing is not perfect. I not sure how much difference it makes with sharpening chains from personal experience though.

If you ask the knuckle head behind the counter for a file for a 3/8 chain, the will hand you an 11/64” I believe it is. I just ask for 7/32” files never had an issue with Stihl files, that’s all I use but that’s mostly because I can buy a box of whatever size I need and it’s in stock, oregano for me is harder to get

I dont use oregon file for many years now. But I peeked at where made on the shelf the other day. They were China made now.
No longer better Portugal made like used to be.

Stay away from India made files too. They dont last and half as long as good file. Tested them side by side. Stay away from those black files.

You want Switzerland, Germany, Portugal made ones for better files.

There is no more save edge chainsaw files. I still have some but they quit those during covid.

Attachments

• files.jpg
    files.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 0
  • bwjunkk.jpg
    bwjunkk.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 0
If I'm not mistaken, for 'non-Stihl' 3/8" chain, a file size of 7/32" (~5.5mm) is recommended, but for Stihl 3/8" chain the recommended size is 13/64" (~5,2mm). So the difference is only 1/64" / 0.4mm indeed.
I mention recommended on purpose, normally you can use a 7/32 file on Stihl chain too, for example. Using the 2 file sizes interchangably (on the same chain) might not be the best idea though.

For .325" chain of any brand the recommended file size is 3/16" (4.8mm), and I don't think Stihl files are a different size?

For 1/4" and 3/8"LP it's 5/32" (4mm), but apparently the Oregon 90PX 3/8"LP requires a 4.5mm (11/64") file?

Please correct me if I'm wrong :) . There might be other brand-specific differences too...

I got an Oregon saw sharpening kit awhile ago (I wanted the depth gauge and roll mostly), I haven't used all the files yet, but the 4mm 5/32" file seemed of very poor quality. Is this a fluke? I'm filing Stihl chain, which I hear is harder, so that may be part of it. I was going to order a box of the Oregon files thinking maybe I just got a bad one, or should I just get Stihl files (or some other brand files). I realize files are consumables, but I want something decent. Thanks
I used German made, Swedish made files. They seem to last much longer.

If you ask the knuckle head behind the counter for a file for a 3/8 chain, the will hand you an 11/64” I believe it is. I just ask for 7/32” files never had an issue with Stihl files, that’s all I use but that’s mostly because I can buy a box of whatever size I need and it’s in stock, oregano for me is harder to get
Harder to get but smells better... ;-)

For what it's worth, I've had better luck with the Swedish and Swiss made files. I've got some Husqvarna branded ones that came with some sharpening kits that are holding up really well...

I stopped in at the local saw place (Echo, Stihl, and Husky) and got a Husky, Oregon, and Stihl 5/32 file to try out. The Oregon file unlike the one I got in the kit was stamped with the name (not laser etched I think), is labeled Swiss made, and has a red painted band to indicate the size. It's clearly from a different batch, factory etc. so for all the know the file in the Oregon kit from Amazon was a fake or just lower grade. When I try them out I will report back.

Latest posts

Back