Fiskars original 7854 vs new X25

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

333.okh

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My original is still doing fine. It has over 30 cords under it, but not sure how much more than 30, and I do not own or use a wood-splitter. I just wanted a longer handle [hence the 36" handle of the X27] so bought by Dad one so he wasn't punishing himself with the old 12 pounds maul.

When it came I didn't notice the head was different, but I did notice it didn't split even as good as my original 7854 Super Splitter with its 28" handle. Plus the sweep on the end of the handle is painful on the X27, and more mellow and an actual help on the 7854.

The 7854 was replaced by the X25 which has the same new head as the X27 only a shorter handle [28"] with the same poor sweep. I tried it as well against the 7854...hands down the old 7854 is significantly better in our PNW hardwoods and especially the softwoods like Douglas fir.

That being said, I am not saying the new X-series are bad, just not as good as the old design. They still beat an ordinary axe or maul.

Best tool I have ever purchased....very close would be the log rite pevy.

Last edited:
I would like the original wedge head, one lb heavier, on a 36 to 40 inch handle...it would still be lighter and faster swinging than a traditional 6 or 8 lb maul, and the shape is near perfect.

I would like the original wedge head, one lb heavier, on a 36 to 40 inch handle...it would still be lighter and faster swinging than a traditional 6 or 8 lb maul, and the shape is near perfect.

I'm bigger than most people, but a 6 pound head in the original design with a properly shaped 36" handle would be amazing. Fiskars makes other models and mauls for Europe just not here.

it seems most must like the X25/27 or never tried against a 7854.............I will write my friend at Fiskars......

it seems most must like the X25/27 or never tried against a 7854.............I will write my friend at Fiskars......

If I could get my hands on a 7854, I'd give it a go against the X27. If it had a longer handle just think of all the damage I could do! :msp_w00t:

N yes, that is a picture of what I did to a 4 foot oak log doing a vertical split using the X27!

View attachment 295478

Suggest to your friend a 7854 head with a 40 inch handle! :msp_w00t:

I'm bigger than most people, but a 6 pound head in the original design with a properly shaped 36" handle would be amazing. Fiskars makes other models and mauls for Europe just not here.

yep, they don't sell them here I emailed and asked no reply

If I could get my hands on a 7854, I'd give it a go against the X27. If it had a longer handle just think of all the damage I could do! :msp_w00t:

N yes, that is a picture of what I did to a 4 foot oak log doing a vertical split using the X27!

View attachment 295478

Suggest to your friend a 7854 head with a 40 inch handle! :msp_w00t:

I found a shop in the UK with the mauls...wonder what shipping will be like.

I found a shop in the UK with the mauls...wonder what shipping will be like.

Interesting... I work for a company based in Belgium, with facilities throughout Europe and around the world. We get visitors regularly and it's very common for them to bring extra (empty!) bags with them to load up with clothes for the family while here to return with. Some will just buy all knew luggage while here too. Apparently, clothing is much less expensive here in the US than in many other parts of the world. Who knew?

I wonder if I might be able to get someone to wrap a European version up to ship in their luggage when they come this direction? Or, maybe they could slide it into their golf bag and say it's for getting out of the woods on all our beautiful wooded courses here? :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back