Growing up with Redwood's. Truely God's country.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see truckloads of 3-6' or so second growth Redwood heading north through Santa Rosa on HWY101 at least once a week or so. Not sure where they're going to (or where they are coming from). Most of the mills in the area are long gone. There was a HUGE one in Cloverdale years ago.

Last edited:
Thank's Randy, there was a good right up in the press democrat, but can't find the article. Tried many searches no luck. I know it took some effort for Will to get it down. It was 1986, and little Brian is the boy in the pic his son. He has two John, and Brian. Two of my best buddy's. There dad and I ran around first then the son's, and me. I learned alot from this bunch. The 750 Aaron is working on along with a 056 I believe took that tree down.

203172d1318823382-100_0777-jpg

Man, I hadn't realized that saw had taken down anything that big. Aside from missing paint, some rotted ruber bits, and a buncha gunk...............the saw's still pretty fresh considering the work it's done.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for that answer, it is what i expected.
To see the operations back in the day would of been something.

I remember going throught Ft Bragg, CA in the late 60's and they had a log loader that was much larger that a 988/992 cat.

My neighbor is into steam powered equipment and he has a picture of a restored steam powered log loader that is 20' tall or so. It is kept in a building that has a pop up in the roof for the cab.

Yep Ausneil, woulda been something for sure. Frank that redwood plywood would be worth more than gold today eh? Joe46 you have redwood in Washington right? Randy I bet you brought down a few like that, and more you guy's are all right on with youre point's about milling environmental, and numbers. Too bad there werent many more to look at, and yes it would be a lifetime experience to drop one. Aaron he took down a few like that with the 750. It alway's wore the 48in Canon, and bigger.

The big top is in a fir, about 100 plus feet in the air. Parmeter, and me in redwood country about 4 years ago. Took down 3 good firs, 2 about 150ft, and one about 175. And 9 oak trees. My lost archives I recently found LOL! The guy with the skill saw is me saturday before last, building a goat coral. The skinny tree was John, and me again a peperwood takedown, with my portawrap.

The big top is in a fir, about 100 plus feet in the air. Parmeter, and me in redwood country about 4 years ago. Took down 3 good firs, 2 about 150ft, and one about 175. And 9 oak trees. My lost archives I recently found LOL! The guy with the skill saw is me saturday before last, building a goat coral. The skinny tree was John, and me again a peperwood takedown, with my portawrap.

now thats showing off climbing up like that, i have never done that.
just a guess, that would take balls...
We aussies do it a little different, we stand on the ground and fall em.

Neil, there was no layout to fall the 3 fir's. The tops would have broke off, and ended up over a bank, and we would'a had to drag em up. We fall what we can, but have to top quite a few. We toped 3 the other day, and them bull rope, and pulle'd em. By the way the pic 2dogs brought back up the big log. My buddy John who was topping, his dad Will fell the big redwood. They come from a family of logger's.

Neil, there was no layout to fall the 3 fir's. The tops would have broke off, and ended up over a bank, and we would'a had to drag em up. We fall what we can, but have to top quite a few. We toped 3 the other day, and them bull rope, and pulle'd em. By the way the pic 2dogs brought back up the big log. My buddy John who was topping, his dad Will fell the big redwood. They come from a family of logger's.

Thats fair enough norm, one day i want to come visit your country and timber. The only ones i know of who top trees like that are tree loppers working in town and they mostly use cherry pickers and work down.
Good to see family timbermen still exsist, i think i am the last in my line as my kids won't take it on and in todays world i cannot blame them, there are easier ways of makeing a liveing.

203172d1318823382-100_0777-jpg

Man, I hadn't realized that saw had taken down anything that big. Aside from missing paint, some rotted ruber bits, and a buncha gunk...............the saw's still pretty fresh considering the work it's done.

Had a short-haired golden lab named Bucky in Ohio looked like that dog in the picture. Loved that dog! Used to love to chase deer. Went everywhere with me.

Stihl doesn't build a saw like the 056 any more.

Neil, thats awesome would be great to have you out here man. Bob that dog was Blondy, pig dog galore, caught some nasty ones. Died of old age, and one of the only times Will cried, mand he loved that dog.

Been along summer, a long month, usual hussle and bussle stress. Working hard no money Not much going right, time for a time out to breathe some real, and fresh air with the smell of redwood in the air mixed with smoke from chimney's, in the brisk air. A place to collect my thought's, and realign relax take in the sight's, and bring my camera and hunt for an outlaw.

Im hiding in the bedroom, tv going and A.S on the laptop. Jeanie's mom and sister here love em, but need a breather. Need some Redwwod country, but it's late and storming outside, so I settled for some whiskey instead.

Im hiding in the bedroom, tv going and A.S on the laptop. Jeanie's mom and sister here love em, but need a breather. Need some Redwwod country, but it's late and storming outside, so I settled for some whiskey instead.

Been there my friend. Last spring my oldest had a slumber party on the weekend that I was supposed to be spending in Oregon at the PNW GTG. Since my diesel died on the way to the GTG, I instead ended up spending a LONG night in the back room of the house watching war movies and sipping whiskey, while hordes of pre-teen girls ravaged the rest of the house.....:msp_scared:

Jenn stocked a cooler with ice and beer, and brought me pizza and other 'man food', so I was doing OK back there. Made a good dent in the Makers Mark that was intended for the GTG...:D

Seem's to me I remember that to Aaron. Man I love the Makers mark. I got this other stuff Samuel Grant it's dam close. Finished the Makers mark, and found a full bottle of the other.

Great thred Norm

Just found it and have enjoyed reading it. Our family has been redwoods vacationing for about 16 years now. Once we started camping up there for vacation there was never any desire to go anywhere else. I finally got a decent camera this year and will try to post up some pics soon

Old Blue
abusivelly over regulated and punitively taxed in
Kali-bone-ya

Have you guy's heard of the milard ranch? If I spelled it right. Chuck at the saw shop was telling me that they have one of the last, virgin old growth stand's, and more than one. It is on fish rock road, and they logged it in the high climbers, and timber fallers book. Be neat if we could set it up, and go take a look.

Back