Growing up with Redwood's. Truely God's country.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you guy's heard of the milard ranch? If I spelled it right. Chuck at the saw shop was telling me that they have one of the last, virgin old growth stand's, and more than one. It is on fish rock road, and they logged it in the high climbers, and timber fallers book. Be neat if we could set it up, and go take a look.

I've heard of it, but know nothing more about it than what you just said Norm....

I will look into it. Maybe we could get in, and give em a look that would be sweet! Pot holed youre neck of the woods today, gave it some love!

as growing in cazadero i know Rain! as well, you do to Norm. floods of 55 and 64. I live a little south of placerville ca at 2500'. Ive been here 5 yrs (lived in napa for 34yrs) we got 72" of rain here last yr. (normal is around 40") the old guy i bought from had a 100 yr rain chart from 1884 to 1984, and the most rain was 72" witch i tied last yr. and i only measured the snow that melted in my rain gauge + rain of course. we will see if it will be wetter-------------

Aaron sometimes with the road work I feel I am pissing in the wind. They fall apert faster than we can put on a band aid. Randy hope you are doing well glad you are stopping in! Kimble I remember when I moved to Cazadero. An old timer was talking about hoping to get more rain, as they only got 120 inches the last winter. I thought WTF? Only! I think the average was 120-145 at the time LOL! Its a little rain forest, but man sure get alot of nice weather out there. Told people that before they looked at me funny, like how with all the rain? I told em we got it first, harder and all at once. By the time they saw it there way, I was enjoying the sun LOL!

Aaron sometimes with the road work I feel I am pissing in the wind. They fall apert faster than we can put on a band aid. Randy hope you are doing well glad you are stopping in! Kimble I remember when I moved to Cazadero. An old timer was talking about hoping to get more rain, as they only got 120 inches the last winter. I thought WTF? Only! I think the average was 120-145 at the time LOL! Its a little rain forest, but man sure get alot of nice weather out there. Told people that before they looked at me funny, like how with all the rain? I told em we got it first, harder and all at once. By the time they saw it there way, I was enjoying the sun LOL!

Norm, I guess we're in a La Nina. That's what the weather guy said last night. We've had one monsoon after another it seems for a year now.

Man Bob, thats sucks we had a year like that in 06. Seemed like it would keep raining till the end of time.

wasn't somewhere in the middle 90's real wet (96/97)? as an outdoor worker for ma bell i remember in February of one of those yrs, in napa we got rain everyday. they had us working a min. of 10 hrs, a day and i worked 32 days straight. no fun! for some of you guy's up north, we went to fort bragg just before xmas after the big wind storm that took everything down. that was 12hr day's up there. I better quit rambling----

The worst winters I can remember in this area were 2005 (Jan 1, 2006 was TERRIBLE, I couldn't make it out of the county to go to work.), 1995, and 1986. Schools were closed here for 10 days in 1986 due to flooding. We didn't have power at my house the whole time. Makes things interesting when you're on well water. No power means no pump/pressure...

Kimble, and Aaron I remember those winters well. How about the one the deep freeze. Snowed in sebastopool, austin creek froze, and it was 0 degrees in cazadero.

LOL! Shiat had a hard time dealing with it myself. Well untill I realized with the frozen creek, my three wheeler was more fun than any ice skates!

I'm off until monday. Hopefully I will get to the Redwood country. I am planning too, been too long. I get there while I am working, and saw a few nice tree's last week. Unfortunately no pic's. I did not have a good spot to turn around, and pull off. And the weather was shiaty! But mad a mental note, I'll be back.:rock:

In Hopland, where I live there are few Redwood's. I am starting my own Redwood country in the Oak land. We have Balck oak, live Oak, blue Oak. One giant live Oak in the yard. We have started 3 coast redwood's. And have three dawn redwood's to plant. The Coast-semeprviren's have been in the ground, 3 year's maybe. They are doing really well, of course I supplement water in the summer, and much of it. I watch them every day to see how much they have grown. I love the Oak country, but wouldn't be the same without redwood's.:clap::clap:

Norm Hope you had a great turkey day, and everybody else------some pic's of my S-44AView attachment 208870View attachment 208871View attachment 208872

Kimble that S44A is FANTASTIC! Happy Thanksgiving.

208870-dsc06738-jpg

208871-dsc02338-jpg

208872-dsc02342-jpg

Back