Growing up with Redwood's. Truely God's country.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was through Cloverdale and Hopland this T Day weekend. The mill in Cloverdale had 3-4 acres of Redwood logs on the ground. I was shocked by how small the logs were. I saw a couple of 4' Diameter ones and a lot of 6" to 3' dia.

Frank, I was just thinking of you my friend! Was just going to PM you, and check in. Glad you are doing well, I know man Jeanie and I just drove by that mill yesterday. Fence post's brother!

Love this thread! I went to college in San Francisco (before my passion for woodworking) and unfortunately never made it to see those incredible trees. Now, being in Ohio, I envy those who get to see them everyday. Maybe in my next life I'll be more ambitious and get to live out there. I got a book for Xmas one year simply titled TREE, and it has some amazing pictures of those giants and the men who worked em.

Redwood1-1.jpg

Love this thread! I went to college in San Francisco (before my passion for woodworking) and unfortunately never made it to see those incredible trees. Now, being in Ohio, I envy those who get to see them everyday. Maybe in my next life I'll be more ambitious and get to live out there. I got a book for Xmas one year simply titled TREE, and it has some amazing pictures of those giants and the men who worked em.
Glad you like the thread! Nice looking dog's on your'e avatar. You have to make a trip sometime to see some big beautifull tree's! Nice picture's Randy. Neil they will break for sure, without a good layout, or hitting stump's, or being launched downhill. In my High climber timber faller book, they said the worst area they worke'd for unforgiving ground, and steep, was mountainview road, out of Manchester. I was in a hunting club there, it is Point arena, Eureka hill rd, at the air force base. I ran my dog's up there, and some of the canyon's could swallow up city's and state's.

? for Randy. I have heard that sometimes they would use cats to pile up branches to make a bed to fall into to lessen breakage. Did you ever do that or see that?

Last edited:
View attachment 209182View attachment 209183View attachment 209184View attachment 209185View attachment 209186 not to answer for randy but here's a little doug fir that if you look you can see the bed that they cut with the cat for said reason. the guy climbing the tree was to take some of the large limbs off top so they wouldn't break out good wood when it fell.

WOW, that a nice pic, would of like to fall that tree.
Is that normal to clear fell like that, we would of been jailed for doing that on forestry or private land in my part of australia.

awesome tree.that is some straight stick, make a good mast if ships needed that big.
looks like quite a turnout, i'd show up for that !

This my Redwood country friend's, was a wonderfull day. I was going to get a couple pic's like promised, and way overdue. I spoke to you of this tree, and it is a beauty, awesome. Truly awesome, it is on Laurie lane above Occidental off joy rd, near Bodega. It is a tru Outlaw, and can be seen towering above the neighbooring Redwwod's, who are tall as well. And the picture from Bodega hwy, looking back in about 4-5 mile's you can see the giant. I am in love with this tree, my jaw droppe'd, when it was shown to me two year's ago, for the first time. I am guessing the top blew out, before I was born, and obviousily sprouted a new one, and still tower's above the rest. I think at a quick conservative guess it is 10-12 at least, the narrow way. I am jealous, of the people who own the house, and property. It is right behind there garage. I would never get tired of looking at this tree in my yard.

Drag yer sorry butt over here. We will make certain you see the best of what is left, and that is more than you might think.
I agree, some real Jaw dropper's left. Some are easy to find, and you drive right up to, and some Neil you have to hunt for, and may be unseen or unoticed. Real outlaw's, that is a big payoff, about running dog's through the wood's. I have found many wonder's of nature I never would have seen. Don't know if you caught it awhile back, but I mentione'd the Millard ranch Randy, I don't know if spelle'd right. But it is a ranch on Fish rock road I believe. Between Gualala, and 128. I believe, anyway they are supposed to have some real impressive virgin grove's in there. Found this out at my saw shop, they work on there saw's. I was going to see if I could contact someone there. If it work's out, maybe some of us could make a run and bring the camera's.

Back