Hardest part of my job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fish, its funny. Everyone in the shop was talking about the same thing the other day about why people piss and moan about paying the lawn mower shop to fix their equipment. Its one thing when Joe Shmoe wants their jet ski or quad fixed up so they can go blastin on the lake or rippin down the trail. They will dole out the cash with no prob. But when it comes to that same person fixing up a peice of equipment like a saw or a mower, its always in the back of their mind that this equipment isn't for play, this equipment means "I" have to work! Oh no:eek: This is why I think people hate spending money on outdoor power equipment. Well there is the "Landscaper" but we won't go there. :D

Is it really that bad? I have always found the servicing shops here fixing poulans, and weed eaters, and then when I bring my Stihl in, they wanna gouge me..lol I guess that they think I have money!..thats why I drive to a shop thats 54 mi away from me they actually do good, reasonable, honest work, and I am willing to bay a bit extra for it.

fun, wouldn't the differance in milage make up for the differance in cost???I.E. gas+time+hassle of the drive+down time in my opinion unless the guy is a REAL @sshole its not worth the drive!! you can't fault a man for making (or trying to make) a living. it really makes me mad when people complain about the cost of services but if someone balks at THEIR cost to do things they get pissed off!!! people commonly b!tch at what a doctor charges, thats wrong as well because his costs are 8 plus years of school and student loans as well as his malpractice insurance ect. ect.:angry:

gouging

OK, so we should fix things for nothing,but that will get you in the end. Say I clean that wasp nest out of the muffler in the spring for nothing. In the fall, the pulse has a crack. The first words out of the customer's mouth are"but you just worked on it!" NOW who is doing the gouging?

pea u back on the answer list. its just that those in the service buisiness,deal with this a lot and it can get old.
ill work for anybody but ive been known to tell a customer ,i just didnt need to deal with her grief ,so get somebody else. people[some] want me to charge 1980
prices ,while i pay 2002 bills

I wish some of you guys were close to me. I would like to see some of your shops. I don't think anyone on here is near me at all.

Man you guys are fixated on the black and white, I am willing to pay a mechanic more for better work, more honest work, than pay a jerk who will do something to get me out of his shop just to get something else in. I am willing to drive out of the way to go to a better mechanic than a con artist who is out there to do shotty work and lots of volume....I look for quality not quantity

You want honesty, and quality work? Drive on up here to N.H. we will fix you up.:)

We have 2 chain saw/weed trimmer/lawn mower etc. regular dealerships within 20 miles of us. Neither place has ever charged me too much and on some small things didn't charge at all. However, I bought some chains and files from them. Yes, I could get them cheaper from a catologue or some online store but they don't offer any service.

Latest posts

Back