Heeelllp! Need guidance on newish Husqvarna 450

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got this saws as a trade form another member, looks like new, and piston is pretty much perfect. Other member was able to get it to pop sometimes, but not run. He checked the following things.Compression, spark, flywheel key, vac and pressure, no holes in the intake boot. He suggested I try another coil, so I found a used one on ebay. Now, it will almost run, but very slow and will sputter and die within 10 seconds or so. I removed the muffler, wondering if there was an obstruction, no change. Almost felt like the brake was on, but noooo... I removed the fuel filter, no change. Tried adjusting the carb some, but no change. It does seem to start fairly well, but no high idle like I would expect on starting. Oh, and if I touch the throttle it pretty much kills it. Has anyone else had this problem? If you are the smart problem solver, you may be entered in a drawing for a non running Wild Thing!! :blob2: IMG_4065.jpegIMG_4049.jpegIMG_4048.jpeg

I got this saws as a trade form another member, looks like new, and piston is pretty much perfect. Other member was able to get it to pop sometimes, but not run. He checked the following things.Compression, spark, flywheel key, vac and pressure, no holes in the intake boot. He suggested I try another coil, so I found a used one on ebay. Now, it will almost run, but very slow and will sputter and die within 10 seconds or so. I removed the muffler, wondering if there was an obstruction, no change. Almost felt like the brake was on, but noooo... I removed the fuel filter, no change. Tried adjusting the carb some, but no change. It does seem to start fairly well, but no high idle like I would expect on starting. Oh, and if I touch the throttle it pretty much kills it. Has anyone else had this problem? If you are the smart problem solver, you may be entered in a drawing for a non running Wild Thing!! :blob2: View attachment 1180791View attachment 1180792View attachment 1180793
Try pouring a small amount of premix in the spark plug hole and see if it runs normal for a bit.

I would not put an aftermarket coil on it personally, if that is what it needs. I get saws in all the time with aftermarket coils that died quickly. The coil will sometimes develop a crack and when the saw warms up a bit it will ground out to the case. I asked you to try a little fuel in the jug first because it could also be a fuel delivery problem, this would rule out the coil if it runs well. In that case you would only have to rebuild the carb and check the impulse/fuel line, both cheap fixes.

I would not put an aftermarket coil on it personally, if that is what it needs. I get saws in all the time with aftermarket coils that died quickly. The coil will sometimes develop a crack and when the saw warms up a bit it will ground out to the case. I asked you to try a little fuel in the jug first because it could also be a fuel delivery problem, this would rule out the coil if it runs well. In that case you would only have to rebuild the carb and check the impulse line, both cheap fixes.
I tried fuel in the plug hole, and haven’t decided if made a difference, tricky as it just runs for 2-3 seconds, so a little hard to tell. I need to try again

I tried fuel in the plug hole, and haven’t decided if made a difference, tricky as it just runs for 2-3 seconds, so a little hard to tell. I need to try again
Tried it again First time a standard start and second time priming the plug hole. Both times I noticed the plug seemed wet. It may have possibly run closer to normal, too brief to tell. It definitely dies if I squeeze the trigger So maybe I will rebuild carb first a see if that does anything. Not quite as nice to work on compared to a 350.

Interesting that I am working on a Husky 450 Rancher today in the shop. It operates flawlessly. The owner chewed up two chains by not using the tensioner correctly and then running the chains so loose that they kept flying off. The pin on the tensioner was simply pressed against the bar rather than inserted into the bar's tensioning hole. I was able to save both the chains with careful machining.

The model in OP''s pic is newer than the one I am working on as evidenced by the flippy caps. Believe me, this saw is worth fixing. The 10 year-old engine in my shop runs flawlessly.

pressure tested the fuel line in the tank through to the carb, no problem. Then I rebuilt the carb.... No change in how it runs, although the metering diaphragm was quite stiff. So regardless , it needed the rebuild.. On to the AM coil next

Sounds like fuel issues I remember when I fixed my buddy's husky 450 had the same issue and all I did was clean the fuel tank put new lines in new filters new carb and then he had me put a different muffler on it

Latest posts

Back