Help Request on Stihl 028 AV Super Wood Boss - Bogging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two things to consider regarding pressure and vacuum. First, if you’re using a Mityvac, it measures vacuum in inHg, with roughly 2 inHg equaling 1 psi. So make sure the vacuum scale is around 15 and the pressure scale around 7. Second, turn the crank over multiple times under vacuum.

My initial suggestion is to lean out the L screw on the saw slightly. While it may not be the main issue, it’s definitely too rich and not quite right.

The fluctuation at full throttle suggests some restriction, which could be due to the tank vent, a carb/fuel blockage, or an intermittent air leak.

Amazon carbs can be hit or miss—your success rate is likely below 50%. I always advise people to hold onto their original parts unless they’re beyond repair.

Also, whenever you’re explaining something like this, it’s helpful to include a short video clip to illustrate your points, for the reasons I’ve mentioned.

In your case, I’d recommend retesting the vacuum at 15-20 inHg and turning the crank at the same time. If everything checks out (and you haven’t used rubber to block the intake), make sure the tank vent is functioning, the filter is clean, the fuel line is in good condition, flexible, and properly sealed. Then, try putting the knockoff carb kit into the OEM carb and check that all passages flow properly with brake cleaner under pressure.

Diagnosing faults can be a long and frustrating process, especially if you’re not used to it. Take a step back, breathe, and approach it with a clear head—problems get solved faster that way.

Apologies if I’ve repeated anything you’ve already tried. The thread’s gotten quite long, so I may not remember everything.

Just a few additional points:
- I agree that the amazon carb could be a problem. Id keep going with the original carb, but rather than just cleaning it, use a new carb kit as well , the flexible rubber parts will have aged and become brittle. Sorry I don't know your experience level but make 100% sure the diaphragms etc are reassembled in the right order.
- All old rubber should be a focus for leaks. Clean Fuel tank breather or run the saw with the fuel cap slithtly lose. examine fuel line closely, bend it around for cracks or use your new pressure tester on it. Replace / remove fuel filter temporarily.
- you don't describe your procedure for pressure testing, but I prefer to block the exhaust port, block behind the carb and send pressure through the impulse line. try performing the pressure test under water, the bubbles are better than a guage at revealing a leak. Don't do a vacuum test under water!

...Maybe I knocked some crud loose under that welch plug that came back down and is now completely blocking something.
Unlikely. The issue with removing welch plugs is to get them to reliably seal again. Even the factory can't do it reliably and the have the proper tooling! They resort to using a proprietary sealant.

I only remove a welch plug as a last resort and if I replace it I I clean the area under (idle passages and metering chamber good with automotive brake cleaner and let ti completely dry. I thn apply a bead of water thin superglue around the edge of the plug. Now set the carb metering chamber up in a humid place for several days until you can verify that the superglue has completely cured.

BTW, what is the model of the OEM carb that is on the saw?

Back