Help Request on Stihl 028 AV Super Wood Boss - Bogging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you order a new aftermarket carb off sawzilla they made me a offer recently when completing my purchase to add their solo tachometer to the order for under 30 bucks. I own a solo tac and it has worked great for setting carbs up on saws, mowers, generators, 4 wheelers, blowers etc
I have experienced very few problems with their parts over the years when oem is nla, and they have a few rapid shipping options. When dealing with carbs on saws I replace the fuel pickup hose, impulse hose and fuel filter at the same time, the hoses loose their grip/stretch, their rigidity/strength and if disturbed can cause further gremlins and a tune up never hurts.

Looks like I've got a couple paths going for a carb at this point. I ordered a Stens aftermarket carb since I have had good luck with their mower parts over the years. Maybe better quality than the standard Amazon? I also ordered a new Walbro check valve and aftermarket repair kit for the OEM carb (including the Welch plug). Assuming the plug and check valve fit, maybe I can fix the original carb. It will be a while before any of it arrives though.

If neither of them fixes it, I likely will stop putting time and money into this saw and put it aside as a tinkering project for later rather than a 'main line' saw as I had been hoping for it to go back to being. It's one of the few things I have to remember my aunt and uncle, who both passed over a decade ago now, so it's not getting trashed. I just need something I can trust to run when I need it. I'm not sure what a replacement saw would even be though - Stihl dropping parts support and only selling stuff through their dealer network makes me mad. But I don't know if there's really a better option...

The 028's are normally worth the extra effort. I have some I use in the woodlot and one is at least 40 years old and has only needed a carb kit once. (and very reliable as a go to saw)
One thing that they don't like is long term storage without being exercised and stored in a area that get temperature gets hot.
Your looks like a low hour clean saw.

You need to do a careful check of the fuel tank after long term storage as you mentioned the saw has been subjected. (BEFORE INSTALLING ANOTHER CARB) I've found sticky molasses type film inside chainsaw gas tanks and also a very fine mold usually black or grey color and both will get past the in-tank filter and clog/restrict the inlet screen in the carb and do it fast and make the saw starve for fuel at high rpms but still idle and start ok.
The carb inlet screen has to be REMOVED for proper inspection and cleaned. It will sometimes appear to be clean when viewing still in the carb, but restricted due to being fine screen and bright color.

Back