Home made log spliter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cledoux

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey,

I had a old log splitter give to me, the engine was shot so I bought a 13Hp brigs and stratton, and it is running a 22gpm pump. and small and medium logs work just fine for spitting, but when it comes to bigger logs it won't split, it doesn't have enough power. The hydraulic cylinder is only 16 old crappy one but it is going to be replaced eventually to a bigger. An then i adjusted the pressure on the pump and now it just bogs the engine down to the point it shuts it off. What am I doing wrong. I can upload a video and pictures of my log splitter. Is the engine to small for the pump or what. Thanks

Chris

I ran a 22gpm pump for years with a 15hp kohler, and when I re powered another splitter (same pump) I went with a V twin, I think it is 17hp... Seems likely that your 13 is "close". if you adjust the pressure a bit lower, it will work. but there in is the problem of not having enough oomph when you need it.
a 2 stage pump is what I hope you have! and that 13 should be enough to kick it to the second stage.
There is a adjustment on the pump for when it will drop out high speed, about 500 psi, and run the low speed to the max pressure (2250, if stock).

I run a 5 inch ram on mine, gets me a honest 22 tons68817139920__97E1D233-29B3-4CF7-B442-960BC88F2C1C.jpg

I ran a 22gpm pump for years with a 15hp kohler, and when I re powered another splitter (same pump) I went with a V twin, I think it is 17hp... Seems likely that your 13 is "close". if you adjust the pressure a bit lower, it will work. but there in is the problem of not having enough oomph when you need it.
a 2 stage pump is what I hope you have! and that 13 should be enough to kick it to the second stage.
There is a adjustment on the pump for when it will drop out high speed, about 500 psi, and run the low speed to the max pressure (2250, if stock).

I run a 5 inch ram on mine, gets me a honest 22 tonsView attachment 1213759
Some pumps have a high low adjustment, not all. most pumps haven't for years now. Kick down should be 700 psi, not 500. It sounds more like his relief is too high. 13hp should be fine for 22gpm 2 stage pump, if he has a 2 stage.
I'm running a 16 gpm, 9hp, 2800 psi relief and pump kick down is the factory 700 psi. (Non adjustable) Same size 5" cylinder on my current home built splitter. Been operating fine for the past 10 years.

it is a 13.50 briggs and stratton and this is the pump that i got for it

RYFT Hydraulic Log Splitter Pump 22GPM 2-Stage Gear Pump, HI/LO Gear Pump, Wood Splitter Pump 3000 PSI, 3600RPM Aluminum Log Splitters Pump for Log Splitters

Or can it also be my hydraulic tank, isn’t big enough I read on a website for the pump you need at least a 12 gallon tank.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3410.jpeg
    6.8 MB
  • IMG_3407.mov
    3.4 MB
Unless you're running the tank dry, your tank isn't the issue. This wouldnt cause the engine to stall. It would cause the pump to suck air and cavitate. The tank requirement is to keep the fluid from getting too hot. Your issues sounds like either an engine problem or a relief problem.

Latest posts

Back