How to store chainsaws so they work after long term storage.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To store your chainsaws for long-term storage while ensuring they remain in good working condition, follow these steps: First, clean the chainsaw thoroughly, removing any dirt or residue, especially from the chain and bar. Next, drain the fuel tank and run the engine until it stalls to eliminate any remaining fuel in the carburetor; this helps prevent fuel degradation. Apply fogging oil into the spark plug hole, crank the engine a few times to distribute the oil, then replace the spark plug.

For the chain, consider applying a light coat of oil to protect it from rust. Store the chainsaws in a cool, dry place, ideally hanging or on a shelf to prevent damage, and ensure they are covered to keep dust away. This prep will help your chainsaws start easily when you're ready to use them again.

I leave a couple of saw's at my hunting camp and run them once a year. -30 in winter to 85 or so in the summer. I use StaBil in the gas, pull the plug and use an oil in the cylinder then give it a couple of pulls, lightly tighten the plug and put it away. Been doing it for years in the saw and generator with no problems.

Back