Hows Gypo doing??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I didn't know better, I might think that Cleaning Wench is actually John. Why, you say? It's all in the spelling.

Robyn,
Thank you for the compliment on the pictures of my oil paintings that I sent John. After all the talking we have done on the phone, I thought it would be nice for him to see what I looked like.
As for my oil paintings, I just started painting one day on my own. I never took any lessons so the style is strictly my own as well as the my interest of the subjects. I may try some woods scenes of the old days since I have tons of pictures of old time loggers, trees, and equipment. I don't know how to post pictures, so if John wants to show any of them, it's fine with me.
Best regards,

Art Martin

Art,
If you or John want to send them to me, I can resize them for posting here. If they are not digital, I can scan them digitally, then post them. Also, if you have some old ones that need touching up, I'd be happy to do that for you as well as print them if you wish. It would be my pleasure.

Best Regards,
Doug
Your Full Service Photo Representative

Doug,
First of all I would like to thank you for your phone call a few days ago. Thanks also for your concern about my recent medical problem. I had an M.R.I. today after spending 6 hours in emergency last night (11pm to 5am). Should find out the results in 5 working days.
About the pictures that I sent to John. Those were the only copies that I had at the present time. He probably has your address and could send them to you, if he likes. Thanks for the offer. Best regards.

Art Martin

Hi Art, It was a nice visit to the post office today, I got your package and a check from the mill as well. Thanks for the great pictures. I really enjoyed them.
Glad to hear you are doing fine. You are a very accomplished artist in every way.
I dont have a scanner so I took the liberty of taking a picture of your picture to post here.
Anyway, heres Art Martin with just one day of trophy winings .
Art had just won his fifth " Best All Around Logger" award.
We are all proud of you Mr. Martin.
Gypo

Hi Doug, Art sent several really nice pictures of logging in the early days of huge timber in California. The pictures are very impressive and I think I should do them justice by sending them to you so you can reproduce them to post here. The pictures would be a very good addition to Art's book that I hope he writes one day.
Gypo

You know, on further inspection of that picture I wonder how a faller running a saw with those side grips could possibly get enough side pressure on that honking guide bar to cut efficiently. Saws like that must have weighed a ton. Backbreaking work for sure, but certainly better that doing it manually as Art said in a previous post. We ought to see if Websters would take one of these pictures to use in their unabridged dictionary under the word "rugged".

ART MARTIN PICTURES

Hi Doug,
Art is the quiet type, You should get hi to send you a picture of his den. One whole side of his room is lined with trophys of logging competitions Then he's got many,many pictures like the one you just posted of the big timber and the west coast loggers. the reason he can make such sharp chain is that for 30 years after they came in from the woods he would hand sharpen 1-2 1/2 inch chisel chain. you get good at it after a few years
Ken

Art Martin

Art all I have to say is, "Now that's a 'real' logger!" I don't know if I've ever seen a tree that big. How did you ever keep the tree from clamping down on the saw when you made your first cuts? Wouldn't the weight of the tree come down n the blade? Of course, what do I know about logging?

Just curious

Good to see you posting

Love CB:angel:

Hi Roger ( RBTree), sorry I didnt answer your question earlier about the funky looking sawwork on the felling cuts of that Red Oak I posted earlier in the thread.
The oak was leaning over about 15 degrees, and not wanting to barberchair it or shatter the butt, I plunged out the heart just behind the hinge wood. When the backcut is made and reaches the plunged area, the tree falls fast and doesnt shatter. The uneven edges and resesses are a result of the plungecut.
This particular stem scaled approx. 700 BF and weighed about 20,000 lbs.
When Yoda first saw the picture, he thought I just merrily ran around the tree as fast as I could in one big circle with the 088KD.
Gypo

Leroy felling a tree

Nice Pictures leroy,
but when you set the camera up and set the timer and finish the backcut and get it started over and turn and look at the camera your supposed to smile at all of us out here in arboristsite land
lol.
ol ken

Latest posts

Back