Hows Gypo doing??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shut up Kevin, your gonna get me into trouble! The Woodlot owner is also my Lawyer, so I was told it was ok to cut my way West till I get to the Western slope of the Rockies.
Gypo

Saw this on another site that John had posted to. Mike

I need to edit my profile!

Re: Look what Kickback can do......
« Reply #29 on: 12/02/01 at 01:53:10 » Quote Modify

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi There, I read most of the posts on this thread and thought I would throw in my 2 cents.
I have some whitefinger ( Renauds Disease), from using a saw to make my living in the woods for the last 20 years, but it is not very debilitating. I have just lost a bit of dexterity, such as in hand writing, in spite of a severe chainsaw laceration to my left wrist which required the skills of a neurosurgeon in 1981, who specialized in chainsaw injuries only.
Although most dont realize it, our mental, physical and emotional state is more responsible for keeping us safe than the gear we wear. Over confidence is also a killer.
Of the 6 lost time injuries that I have had in the woods in the last 20 years, I would say, as I look back on it now, that my mind wasnt on the job and I was bothered by something at the time. Most injuries are the result of "high balling", working to fast. So combine the two and we have an accident looking for a place to happen.
If I could only choose one arcticle of personal safety equipment it would hearing protection. I plain and simply cant use a saw without using Peltor muffs and never could.
The best assurance against injury in the woods, is to be happy, comfortable, relaxed and aware.
Knock on Wood, and send me some Lumber!
John Lambert

Be safe Johnny! Mike

Hi Mike, thanks for attaching that post. I know I always dont set the best of examples sometimes, but I guess it goes with the territory. I finally got into shape after lugging around the 22 hp. 088KD which makes things easier.
I really am a different sort, most of my time is spent alone in the woods, I feel happy and safest this way.
Anyway, everthing is going fine and no one needs to worry about whether I make it out of the woods or not.
Gypo

When are you gonna spring $10 for some safety glasses, Gypo? Eye injuries really suck. I got a piece of dirt/sawdust in my right eye about 15 years ago, and it got infected. I was out of work for 2 weeks until the antibiotics finally cleared it up. :cool:

Hi Tree climber, thats a good question. I usually do the hardhard, screen, muff thing when the weather gets cooler. Glasses get sweat and sawdust covered, plus my skidder gobbles them up like marshmallows. I was thinking of getting my glasses tethered to me, but I worry that they may get intwined around something on my escape route. I think in the last 20 years I have had at least several pounds of needles, sawdust and dirt in my eyes. The eye is a very tough muscle indeed. I have had screen from a face shield embedded in my eye as well as other foriegn matter. Generally I just squint while in a cut. Some sawdust causes me an alergic reaction such as Walnut, which makes my eyes feel like two buzzards arseholes in a power dive.
Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions how I may keep prescription glasses on with the string thing without the feeling that I am a dog on a leash or a vulture about to take flight?
Gypo

hi john,

i'm not sure if it would help...but i just found out that you can buy lightweight prescription safety glasses at walmart for under $30. as far as those rope thingees to tie them on with....i've tried them and never got comfortable with them.....

whatever you do.....i don't think you eyes are anything to take chances with...even if you only lose one....there goes you're depth perception....Mike was without one eye for only a few days on one of hus close calls and it;s not a fun thing.

enough typing with this puppy in my lap..........che

RE John Lambert, our hero:

I've worn prescription glasses for 35 years and wouldn't be without them at any time, even though I can see well enough to read or file a chain without them. I can't drive, esp at night without them, though.

I just feel naked without the spec's, and they have saved my sight once or twice, and aggravation from dust and dirt countless times. I currently have a pair of prescription specs with safety frames made by Ziess, and locally produced safety glass lenses. They are able to accept side shields (which I get several pairs of) but the side shields come off easily so that the spec's look stylish enough to go out on the town with. The side-bars are spring-loaded and never break, as well as having little folding soft plastic hooks to keep them anchored behind the ears.

I have never lost them, even in a tumble. Yes, the frames were expensive...around $125 US, but they have lasted about 3 years, wearing them everyday (I get so used to safety glasses, that's all I wear unless my wife makes me change). That's pretty reasonable, really.

Glasses

There are pretty much 3 types of lense materials out there today.
Noone will make glass since a splinter can cause sever damage to your eye.
First plastic, the cheapest you can get a couple pairs for $40 frames included.

Second Polycarbonate better quality lens and offersbetter scratch resistance. A pair of lenses cost $60 plus frames

Third High Index are very scratch resistant, lightweight , thin etc.
They cost anywhere between $80 to 300 for a pair of lenses.
Some can take a blow from a sledge hammer and won't break.

I have been wearing glasses for 40 years and I would recommend the type that has a frame with ear loops they don't fall off your face. They will come off if they are hit I will try to find a picture for you.

I put rainX, or baby oil on a lens to keep the water / fog off of them. For chips I would go with the RainX over the oil.

John,
If you get a cheapo sunglass "string thing" they will break away if snagged on anything. The more expensive neoprene or rubber ones have a tendency to want to hang you by whatever you snag on

Bill

Hello Cinnimon Girl and Gypo Logger!! Am I Here??

Well sis, I made it here I think ? **scratches head**
~~~waves at my sisi's fella too~~~

Darlin sister, you did not tell me this was a forum...ahhhhhh!! How I love forums....

just a lil notey here for now...checkin back laters

**throws roses to all the members here**

Virt

:angel:

hey John,

I wear various keepers, but the stringed ones with little rubber keepers will pop off easily if snagged.

The stuff around my neck gets to be a pain for sure. Helmet strap, plastic banded ear plugs, and glass string...aargh.

John, I really cant see falling timber without head protection. Widowmakers can outfly a running balding (rapidly getting) old man sometimes.

Of course, it would just be one more thing for that hungry skidder to munch on....

Just lookin out for ya... I know your feelings about PPE, they were mine for years, i still am lazy on the chaps issue....

Face Plant at Clearwater!!

Hey rbtree, make fun of my honey's baldy, that isn't nice....what is this I hear about you having a "face plant" during a choker race at Clearwater while up against my honey....Babs sent me the pictures...I think you had better be nice....there isn't that much timber between you and i as you think.

Love CB

P.s. Watch out our I might start up Wagon Burning again!!
:angel:

Kisses of sweet torture....all for my honey!!

Oooh, nothing like a good chiding to bring a feller into line...

Yes'm....I promise to be a better boy....

Face plant...well...that too...but nothing new... probably had a million of em at good old Crystal Mt in the last 30 years.;)

Course, then i forgot that was a choker I wuz draggin' and acted like i'd never seen one...had just about caught the great gyro too...

I think a whirlwind, or some alien moved his beer can just as gyro's tree was falling in the felling contest....dont know how such a pro could have missed by so much......

dodger

Hi Roger, you got me there. I was at least 3 ft. off in the falling competion, for two reasons: #1 as you said, the wind blew the beer can a bit to the right, but the exhaust from the predator did that. #2: the saw that I borrowed was one of those newfangled Western wraps, so I had to use it upside down and crosshanded with the chain on backwards.
I was very impressed indeed though Rog, when you hit the beer can perfectly, but I couldnt understand for the life of me why it looked like you were going to climb the tree more than you were going to fall it. To the casual observer, it looked more like you were using the saw as a spring board and a harness belt.
See you in Clearwater 2003 again Roger, your a good sport.
Gypo

Hi there, I forgot to thank you all for the help you have given me on the subject of glasses for the woods. Im getting tired of my skidder making a spectacle of me by gobbling up yet my third pair.
I like Che's idea of going to Walmart for them, that way it doesnt cost me 300$ everytime I forget where I put them. I will definitely
try out the string keeper as well. I think I still like those ones that Mike Rupedoggy has though. Am I entering Fuddyduddydom or what? I'm only almost 50!
And oh ya, thankyou Cinnamon Girl for putting the run on that pesky BRB tree, after all there is alot less timber between you and him than you and I, but I can look after that with no problem.
See You In September WB.
Gypo

Latest posts

Back