Husky 3120

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIG

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Anyone own a Husky 3120 saw? I saw one yesterday and this looks like a beast. What size engine is it? Are these a good model? Is this a professional saw?

Great way to promote this site

The above responses are not the best way to promote a site such as this. I am new to the chainsaw world in the sense that I am not a "logger" and don't use saws to make my living. Most people I know don't - They use 50cc (or thereabout) saws to cut firewood for themselves and that's it. Given this information, I know nothing about big saws or "hot saws" at all. I did what I should have done in the first place and went to Husky's page to get my questions answered. It's a shame, I usually find that special interest type forums like this are more interesting and fun to get these questions answered but I guess not in this case. Sorry to bog all you stud loggers down on such trivial questions.

Now that the boys have had their fun...

3120 is Husky's biggest model, for heavy-duty use, such as Lumber milling, cutting the stumps in large tree removal, and, of course, pulling long bars and chains to work on the big trees in the west, and probably some tropical countries.

There is also one other possible use...bragging rights to having the biggest, baddest saw on the block. The posters above are telling the truth with a twinkle in their eye when they say "if you have to ask...", because only a few sawyers really require a saw that big on a regular basis.

Here's the spec's from Husky's international site:
http://international.husqvarna.com/Folder_263/node533.asp?id=29.

Chill out man it was only a joke :D

The 3120 is definetly a Pro saw and if I were you I don't think I'd buy one just to cut firewood,they're excellent saw's for big felling etc..If you're used to 50cc plus I'd try something a little smaller than a 3120 plus there pretty heavy also...They are a very good pro saw though..I believe that they are 121cc or so definetly not a homeowner saw by far..

Later Rob...

Sorry bout that, the question just came across like a homeowner asking the question at Home Depot or something.
The 3120XP is the largest chainsaw currently produced by any manufacturer. It is slightly larger than the Stihl 088 (I think) and is about 120cc displacement. This is not a saw for someone without YEARS of experience running saws, it can KILL you without even hesitating. The vast majority of people in the industry rarely need a saw this large.
If you had read ANY threads on this forum even casually mentioning the 3120, you would quickly realize that it is a professional saw, not for homeowners or amateurs. But like most uninformed, you instantly posted a silly question without even reading 2-3 threads first.

But like most uninformed, you instantly posted a silly question

I don't think anybody wants to be talked down to. maybe the guy is a little new, not familiar with the format, not certain what he'll find on the site...so what to do? Ask questions? God forbid!

I've seen a few forums on different subjects come and go, and it usually follows the same general theme...a few "regulars" sort of form a clique excluding others who don't share the history of the place. Eventually the forum gets moribund, and even the regulars get tired of talking over the same old stuff over and over again.

I like this one a lot, even if Tundraotto is having a bad hair day:D

3120 vs 088 stihl

hello big,
husky's 3120 and stihl's 088 are the largest models each produce for the us market. the 088 stihl is slightly larger at 121.6cc displacement. the husky 3120 is 118.8cc its bore and stroke are 60 mm bore and 42mm stroke. the 088 stihl has a 60 mm bore and a 43 mm stroke. the 090 stihl is larger at 66mm bore and 40mm stroke and about 134 cc's but its no longer imported to the US. both the 088 and the 3120 run somewhat doggy stock but with some porting and muffler work can be made to cut very strong, also make nice hotsaws with a expansion chamber. also cut big logs very nice if your logging in the old growth or cutting redwoods on the coast. anyway the 3120 is a nice large saw to play with
ken

Hi big,

If you read a lot of these posts you will find that most posters are nice, kind people willing to help anyone out with their knowledge and experience. Sometimes some do get carried away and post silly things or comments or material that will keep you laughing for quite a while. As in anything you will find die hard Hysky or Stihl fanatatics that would never ever recognize another really good brand or model if their life depend it on it.

The 3120 is one big and bad mother. Because of its size and weight it is not your run of the mill everyday go to work with model.

Weight without bar and chain 10.4 kg / 22.9 lbs, ( average saws used by most runs from 10 lbs to 13 or 14 lbs) to my knowledge it can be equipped with an 8 foot bar and matching chain of course which makes a very heavy monster to handle. It is often used out on the west coast to take down old growth trees of the 20 ft to 30 ft diameter size.

Stihl also have something in that size and power range for the same purpose, 090 model I believe. :) :) :)

Thanks for all the 3120 information

It is true that I am a new member of this site. I enjoy playing with saws but don't know a lot about them - especially the large models. I come to places like this to get information that is real from people who know. Sorry to get off on the wrong foot with some of you folks.

Hey Big, did anybody welcome you to Arboristsite yet? Don`t worry, as long as you keep stopping in you`ll be a regular here before you know it. Russ

Don't mess with a Texan

Did you know the Texas state flag is the only US state flag that does not have to fly lower than the US flag?

Well BIG you'll have to tolerate those Kanucks on this site and those northern comrades. They get cooped up during the winter and end up loving their saws so much they don't want to share.

Actually being on this site for a couple of months makes me realize the users on this forum may not want you to use it because they have your well being in mnd.

Yep BIG I would be willing to figuire these guys were concerned you would get the BIGGEST saw Husky makes and well end up hurting yourself.

Some guys on this site only recreation is cutting wood and spend more on their saw than their girl. Well for some the saw is their baby so frankly you entered a hard core site of chainsaws.

We argue for months on what octane of gas , type, brand of oil.

What wood burns best.

We even ignore the facts and safety to prove our point.

So please be patient and tolerant and someone will answer the question.

Big, i would strongly recommed that you RUN while you can and quite visiting this site, its TOO expensive!!!:D lol. in the past two weeks i have bought 2 new saws and am going to send them off to be tuned:rolleyes:
welcome to the site:angel:

BiG,

Some of the regulars even sleep with there saws, i have seen pictures.

Just read previous posts and get alittle familar with everyone first.

Just watch out for Tundraotto, he is a freak (toyota truck and husky saw) thats all there is too that, but he does have his facts right more than not.

Just thought i would mix it up with him again since its been so long since the four stroke fight. How ya doin Otto

Back