Husky 3120

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not for "homeowner's", eh? Maybe not every homeowner, but I can tell you from personal experience that nerds can certainly handle it. I horse around with my 3120 just for fun. Not only that, but I had Ken Dunn do a little work to it just to guarantee it would be much badder than it was when it came from the factory.

While I've seen pictures of the 3120's with 8 foot bars on them, I go the other route and run it with the smallest bars I can get away with. Here's a pic that I posted a while ago of my saw being administered to by Rotax Robert. 16 inch bar and Art Martin chain.

The Husky 3120 and the Stihl 088 typically run neck and neck. We ran um last week and proved this out. Next time you have a 16" or so pine log, whip out your favorite saw and see how it compares. These saws were dead even in the 2.2 second range with modified mufflers (no pipes).

You don't have to be a big guy to run one either. John, here, is 5'7" tall and weighs about 155 if he has no beer in his belly. This is an upcut with his 088 KD. John routinely runs his 088 for whole days out in the bush when he's logging.

Hello Big, welcome to ArboristSite. Doug is a special case and John and Rotax are ... well ... not naked in the previously posted pictures. Big, THESE ARE PROFESSIONALS, DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME. :D

Hi big,

Now that you have started working your way through this site, you should at least be forwarned that 1/3 of the members are crazy, 1/3 are insane and the last 1/3 well you will find out for yourself.
Enjoy and have fun :blob2:

I don't want to hear it Brian, especially after a few of the PM's that have been floating around lately.:D

How about the old 084s 7.44ci vs the 88s 7.42ci and the weight the 084 at 19.4lbs vs the 088 at 22.2lbs compare that to the weight of husky 3120 after a day with any of these saws you wish you had an axle to slip on the bar so you can throttle them to the next tree. I retired my 084 to just bucking or felling the monster trees. I would like to try the 3120 even though I'm not a husky fan
Welcome to the site Big lots of experience here just ask someone knows.

Big,

I am what could be considered an ADVANCED AMATURE with saws. I have been running a STIHL MS 310 while cutting firewood. Nice saw but wanted more power. Last month I bought a STIHL 066 Magnum off E-Bay used, for about 1/2 what one would cost new. I have been using it in some fairly large Oak I am working on here in Texas. It definitly has the power I was looking for. The 3120 Husky you were talking about is an even bigger saw - a good expllanation of the saw is on the Masdens site: http://www.madsens1.com/husk3120.htm

Most of the answers here are good, but sometimes the "Pros" forget that there are some of us that are not born with wood chips in our mouth. There really is a lot of good information on this site - even though you have to wade through some BS to get to it.

Hal

Originally posted by confused
BiG,

Just watch out for Tundraotto, he is a freak (toyota truck and husky saw) thats all there is too that, but he does have his facts right more than not.

Just thought i would mix it up with him again since its been so long since the four stroke fight. How ya doin Otto

good to see you here - where have you been? We need some qualified engineering knowledge here - especially from Stihl owners:D hows the 046 going?

PS. Its not all Huskies, I have an old Stihl 051 too..:p lots of torque, heavy as a b^%#, slow chain speed even with an 8pin sproket, running 3/8" .050 on a 20" solid nose. Gets eaten up by its smaller orange brother (but of course he's on steroids).:blob2:

Originally posted by BIG
Anyone own a Husky 3120 saw? I saw one yesterday and this looks like a beast. What size engine is it? Are these a good model? Is this a professional saw?

the biggest and the baddest of what husky makes - if your spending that kind of money though I would talk to one of the experts here and talk about hopping it up for you - might as well have the complete package:D . Like Ryan said you'll need waders to get out from under all the wood chips streaming from that saw...;)

Back