Husqvarna 254xp chain not moving freely, when ...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ernestro

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
left clutch bolt tightened fully...

Hi there,
bought a relatively well preserved 254xp for cheap...165 psi compression, starts after 3-4 pulls, runs great - for now. I think the piston ring was changed, they look quite new, because the machine marks on one part of the piston have dissapeared. Also a tiny slight bit of transfer on the jug. Will most probably clean the jug and replace the piston in the near future.

I bought it knowing the brake is kaput. Missing spring. So when i took the clutch cover off, two washers fell off the studs...kinda homemade looking, or at least the hole drilled out, and overall deformed. They're about 1,3mm thick.
Without them, when i tighten the clutch cover, i can't move the chain with my hand, even if i hold the brake back - fully released. Was trying to remove the brake band, to see if it's behind all of this, but have not yet managed to get on to it..

I hated the way these washer look (and fall off), so i cut out a plate of 1mm thickness..a bit less than the washers....but didn't quite do it - i could tighten the right clutch cover nut fully and the chain move freely by hand. But when i tighten the left c.c. bolt, it holds the chain tight.

.. .. but in any case...not sure i want a fix like this on the saw. Previous owner also sharpened the chain under the wrong angle and damaged - thinned out the tie strap to much for my idea of safety!...I threw that chain and bought a new one.

So until and while i'm trying to figure it out on my own, anyone have any idea what it might be?

Cheers!

Attachments

• 1727127391329.png
    1727127391329.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 0
Back