Husqvarna 555 not listed on Husqvarna web site? Review after being out for ~1 year?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikelleen

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am looking at getting a Husqvarna 555, however I am concerned with two things:

1) The "auto-tune" technology is new and typically I do not buy in to "new" technology, but rather like to wait a while for issues discovered in the field to be resolved. So any long term reviews on this product.

2) The 555 is not listed as an available saw on the Husqvarna web site, why is that? Is this saw discontinued or not being actively sold, or ?????
Chainsaw | Husqvarna | Homeowner

My dealer does have one of these for $609 with a 20" bar and 3/8 standard chain.

I had an earlier thread http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/185909-3.htm where I was doing some investigation on various saws, but am now getting close to a decision and wanted some feedback on the 555, thanks!

Autotune has been out for years on the 576XP, it's a well tested technology and the consensus is that it rocks. As for Husqvarna's website, it's a mystery. No 555, but the vaporware 562XP has been up for months. Bizzare.

The 555 is of course not listed among the xp saws, as it is a "detuned" version of the 560xp...:msp_wink:

Anyway, it isn't really an alternative to the 346xp, as it is much larger and heavier, despite it is light for a 60cc saw. More power as well, although it isn't an xp.

Have no doubt about the 555 my friend. It will be one of if not the best saw purchase you will ever make IMO. I really believe that. Check out mweba's thread "Inside the Husqvarna 555" ......you will see what im talkin about. Good luck!:msp_thumbup:

The 555 is of course not listed among the xp saws, as it is a "detuned" version of the 560xp...:msp_wink:

Anyway, it isn't really an alternative to the 346xp, as it is much larger and heavier, despite it is light for a 60cc saw. More power as well, although it isn't an xp.

What does that mean, a detuned version of the 560XP? I am note seeing the 560XP either.

As far as larger and heavier than the 346XP, the specs state it's only about 8 oz heavier, so 1/2 pound? Is that significant? Did not feel that different to me when holding both. The weight difference was there, but hardly noticble.

So auto tune has been around for how long for Husqvarna? How reliable is it?

One interesting thing my dealer told me was that due to the brake being mounted on the external cover, if I somehow pulled the cover off with the brake engaged, I sould have to bring it in to him, in order to unlock the brake. That did not really make sense to me, any comments?

The 555 seems to be working great. I think its a better choice for a 1 saw firewood plan. The autotune on both saws has been flawless.

What does that mean, a detuned version of the 560XP? I am note seeing the 560XP either.

As far as larger and heavier than the 346XP, the specs state it's only about 8 oz heavier, so 1/2 pound? Is that significant? Did not feel that different to me when holding both. The weight difference was there, but hardly noticble.

So auto tune has been around for how long for Husqvarna? How reliable is it?

One interesting thing my dealer told me was that due to the brake being mounted on the external cover, if I somehow pulled the cover off with the brake engaged, I sould have to bring it in to him, in order to unlock the brake. That did not really make sense to me, any comments?

The 560xp is like the 562xp, but with the same "small" bar mount and a smaller air filter, like the 555. The weight is also the same as the 555, lighter than the 562xp. It is not planned sold in the US (yet).

Detuned means that they have made some changes to the stronger xp engine, instead of developing a weaker engine from the start. The most common way is to use different cylinder porting or a different piston (or both), but there may be other differences as well (carburettion, intake or timing). I haven't really looked into what they did in this case, but there is a significant difference (about .4 kW/.5 hp). The 555 also lack the rev-boost feature.

Weights;
346xp, 11.0 lbs
555, 12.3 lbs
560xp, 12.3 lbs
562xp, 12.6 lbs

This is the updated weights, as far as I know, but some older specs are still present on some websites and documents.

I was in the market for the 562xp, but will likely get a 555, because I want the small bar mount and lighter weight. I'm also lookin forward to the auto-tune and have no worries about it.

The 555 will not replace my 346xp, either one of them... :msp_smile:

The 555 seems to be working great. I think its a better choice for a 1 saw firewood plan. The autotune on both saws has been flawless.

It surely is, I didn't mean to say that there is anything wrong with it, just to make it clear what it is, and what it isn't. :msp_smile:

The auto-tune has been around for more than 5 years, and I hardly have heard of a single problem with it.

Last edited:
The 560xp is like the 562xp, but with the same "small" bar mount and a smaller air filter, like the 555. The weight is also the same as the 555, lighter than the 562xp. It is not planned sold in the US (yet).

Detuned means that they have made some changes to the stronger xp engine, instead of developing a weaker engine from the start. The most common way is to use different cylinder porting or a different piston (or both), but there may be other differences as well (carburettion, intake or timing). I haven't really looked into what they did in this case, but there is a significant difference (about .4 kW/.5 hp). The 555 also lack the rev-boost feature.

Weights;
346xp, 11.0 lbs
555, 12.3 lbs
560xp, 12.3 lbs
562xp, 12.6 lbs

This is the updated weights, as far as I know, but some older specs are still present on some websites and documents.

Come on Troll, you know the 346XP doesn't weigh 11.0 lb.! It's more like 11 lb. 6-8 oz.

I know of a couple guys that weighed both the 555 and 560 and I believe they weighed 11.9 and 12.0 pounds. Dry pho I believe. I see now the 555 is 12.3. Oh well, its no big deal for sure.

The 562 has crank stuffers if I remember. I can't see spending a little less and getting the 346 or 455. I wouldn't take a 346 over a farm boss personally. I think they're the most over hyped saw ever.

The 562 has crank stuffers if I remember. I can't see spending a little less and getting the 346 or 455. I wouldn't take a 346 over a farm boss personally. I think they're the most over hyped saw ever.

Now Mike, the 346 weighs 2-3 lbs less than a Farm Boss.

It's a small saw! You like big saws.

Some of us old farts need a small saw. It works great for most of us.

:msp_smile::msp_wink::msp_tongue::msp_thumbup:

That's true don, I don't like small sws like the 346. I want something to pull 3/8s full comp on a 20" bar minimum in 7 year down locust. Anything smaller than a 660 is a light weight saw any way. After messing with the 125 mac everything seems lighter.:laugh:

It surely is, I didn't mean to say that there is anything wrong with it, just to make it clear what it is, and what it isn't. :msp_smile:

The auto-tune has been around for more than 5 years, and I hardly have heard of a single problem with it.

That's good to know, I was concerned about the system.

So just to throw another wrench in the machinery, it's now down to either the 555 or a Stihl 361, which a dealer near me happened to have as new old stock.

Any thoughts on these two?

That's good to know, I was concerned about the system.

So just to throw another wrench in the machinery, it's now down to either the 555 or a Stihl 361, which a dealer near me happened to have as new old stock.

Any thoughts on these two?

The Stihl has more power, at least on paper. They weight basically the same, as the 361 also is a light 60cc saw (actually 59cc), and is well handling for a saw with an inboard clutch. I really like my 361, but that is an Euro one. The US one isn't quite the same (different cylinder and muffler, less power). Remember that the 555 isn't a true pro saw, while the MS361 is.

Anyway, you better find out which one feels right to you, as that may be more important than a small power difference. :msp_smile:

The Stihl has more power, at least on paper. They weight basically the same, as the 361 also is a light 60cc saw (actually 59cc), and is well handling for a saw with an inboard clutch. I really like my 361, but that is an Euro one. The US one isn't quite the same (different cylinder and muffler, less power). Remember that the 555 isn't a true pro saw, while the MS361 is.

Anyway, you better find out which one feels right to you, as that may be more important than a small power difference. :msp_smile:

Ive ran both the 361 and the 555. I would take the 555 hands down. The 555 felt a lot stronger to me anyways.

Back