Husqvarna question "288's"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome saw's, every day I think about how I can try, and talk my buddy out of his. They definatley have compression.

200973d1317354168-288-005-jpg

130#s of compression and they will run. I have a few with less, that run. But definitely arent anything special.
IDK how the elevation would effect your saws though

Last edited:
Thank you little possum! The handle I have must be bent or tweaked somehow, and i'm sure the seller didn't realize it cause visually it looks fine but just does not line up correctly. :dunno: So I'll have to look for another one I guess.

Awesome saw's, every day I think about how I can try, and talk my buddy out of his. They definatley have compression.

Norm, hit up all the yard sales, and church rummage sales for old books. Eventually you'll find one or two your buddy will be willing to trade that 288 for..................................:laugh:

Matt,
You have a lot to answer for starting this thread.
I already have a pile of saws in the 80cc class and certainly don't need a 288. But stupid me, I jumped on a 288 for $300.00 and thought I was being real smart. Seller said it was good goer - oh yeah.
Well it's got about 50lb compression, so I lift the jug and I find a toasted piston, and I mean nuked. Piston looks a bit small so I throw the vernier on it - 52mm. Oh no, it is a 281.
I turn the saw to look at the tag and it has been removed. So this scum bag has put a 288 starter on his crapped out 281 and suckered me.
And the way I see it - it is all your fault! ;)

I still don't need a 288 but now I have the IPL printed out it looks like a I will have to find one soon.:msp_biggrin:

Al.

My 288xp lite wont start. Has compression,spark,fuel cant get it to fire up. I even put a little squirt of fuel into the cylinder and got a little smoke out the exhaust but still no start.

Took it apart and found bad piston. Scraped up on the exhaust side. Can I hone it and get a new piston and ring?

Took it apart and found bad piston. Scraped up on the exhaust side. Can I hone it and get a new piston and ring?

Lots more to it than that. I'm sorry, but it's the truth.

I don't ever hone a saw jug. If you cut through the plating it's trash. It's savable by using muratic acid and some sandpaper. The very most important thing is being 100% sure of the reason it was scored in the first place. If the root cause isn't found the new parts will be junk again in no time.

Hate to hear you got shafted Al. But they do make pretty nice runners :)

No need to feel sorry. Update is that the seller's lovely wife put the squeeze on her nasty husband and I got the 281 for the cost of parts. She said she would take $100.00 but I gave her $125.00, which I thought was fair. It is the low top version and it must be an early one as it has the metal brake lever. Even has a nice Oregon 25" bar and new chain.
I pulled it down and everything is fine - even the rubber AV mounts are good. And that bear of a spring out the front hanging off the dawgs kind of gives it a mean look. Anyway the piston is toast and the cylinder is so grooved I am going to scrap it too.
I figure an aftermarket 288 p/c and it will be good to go. Any suggestions to which one I go for?
Now what am I going to do with a 288, Matt? But it does look kind of retro sitting there beside an old 266 I have.

I will post up some pics soon.

Al.

I've had good luck finding used, but decent, OEM 288 cylinders on Ebay. I
just used one a while back to convert a 281.

For sure Jon, my buddy had a nice one right here in town, only problem I would have to trade my 044 for it. Man the 288 is one of the best, and my favorites but me an the 044 seen alot of wood togehther, and I cant part with saw's. My plan is to find a nice runner 044, and trade him. He is the type of guy a saw is a tool, and no more. He has agreed to trade when I find a replacement, preferebly a Stihl. In the mean time it's 288 this 288 that on the site, and I will suffer!

HOLY $#i+ BATMAN!

Did anyone else watch THIS one!

I mean it's a real slick saw and all but $770! :dizzy: You could put one together off partstree and a few used parts just as slick for that much money! Wish I had a truck load of em!

Got all the bits and put her back together with new seals, lines, 288 top end, carb rebuild and muffler mod. A bit of a clean up and the old girl is staring to look respectable. Very pleased with its power but have only put a couple of hours on her so far and still running it a bit fat.
Matt, I see what all the fuss was about now.

PA250930.jpg

PA250928.jpg

Al.

Nardoo sweet!! Fuss oh its much more than that it is a need that will grow, and you wont be able to live without! I want one!

If I get to love that ugly old 288 as much as its little sister I will have to keep it in the bedroom. :msp_wink:

Make a nice pair, don't they? (That little 266 has 185 lbs compression and cuts a banshee.)

PA250934.jpg

PA250935.jpg

Al.

Last edited:
Back