I got to run a KA-211 / DA-211 today!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you like BIG old saws, have a look at my museum collection.....I run them when i have a chance......most of them are runners....... :chainsaw:
You will find the history of your Mercury Kiekhaefer and more.
I am presently in contact with Fred Kiekhaefer.....Carl's Elmer Kiekhaefer's son also president of Mercury marine....gathering historical info and stories about the Mercury company.
KA is not a chainsaw...it is Kiekheafer engine used on waterpumps.
DA is a chainsaw when Carl Elmer had an association with John Henry Disston for private usage..not army saws.
Army saw were branded as KB6AX- KB6AY pre-war.

Alain,

Last edited:
If you like BIG old saws, have a look at my museum collection.....I run them when i have a chance......most of them are runners....... :chainsaw:
I am presently in contact with Fred Kiekhaefer.....Carl's Elmer Kiekhaefer's son also president of Mercury marine....gathering historical info and stories about the Mercury company.

Alain,

I have checked your site many times and love it. Do you just collect or buy and sell as well?

Alain,

Really cool site you have there! Lots of great old saws and lots of info! Thanks for sharing and REP for that.

That's the first video I've seen of a two man saw that is actually in tune and has a sharp chain. Pretty neat!

That's the first video I've seen of a two man saw that is actually in tune and has a sharp chain. Pretty neat!

It did run like a dream. The tuning was spot on. Most of the time, when you hear these run, they have them so rich that they hardly ever clean and and run. The 3/4" chain looked to be brand new and really pilled up the chips. We ran into him as soon as we got there, and I told him he had already made my day. I could have gone home then and been happy:)

Corps of Engineers saw

I picked up an old Disston at a local auction about a month ago. No one seemed to be interested in it, so I just kept a low profile till it sold. It has a Corp plate on it. It had been stored inside for years. Has a Merc Model KB6AX (serial #60291) on it. Plate on it lists DOM as 1945. Seems to have good compresssion, but won't have time to clean it up and work with it till winter. Looks like it will be fun and a "backbreaker" to run.

Birdhunter

I picked up an old Disston at a local auction about a month ago. No one seemed to be interested in it, so I just kept a low profile till it sold. It has a Corp plate on it. It had been stored inside for years. Has a Merc Model KB6AX (serial #60291) on it. Plate on it lists DOM as 1945. Seems to have good compresssion, but won't have time to clean it up and work with it till winter. Looks like it will be fun and a "backbreaker" to run.

Birdhunter

Cool but you know the deal, we got to have pictures.

Awesome vid dude! That is one neat old unit - I woul dlike to have a chance to play with one for a while myself...

Everybody and their baboon is looking for an IEL twin.... :)

oh oh JJ, a little traders remorse there bud ?

Brad, here are some ads for the DA and the KA

pete1.jpg

pete2.jpg

ka211.jpg

Powerful Pete

Pete Sawyer must be a strong "son of a gun". Look at how easy he can hold that heavy old saw. I have enough trouble holding one end of mine up.
I guess those loggers were or are real men.

Birdhunter

Not at all, I'm actually looking for a 'Super' version....

I thought that Solo twin parts rig would fly under most people's radar, but it wasn't meant to be...:cry:

There were many that thought the same thing. We were all mistaken. The pics will show up soon with the story.

Bill

Pete Sawyer must be a strong "son of a gun". Look at how easy he can hold that heavy old saw. I have enough trouble holding one end of mine up.
I guess those loggers were or are real men.

Birdhunter

Yes Bird hunter, these loggers are some strong sons of a guns:laugh:

Especialy here on the west coast where the trees we used to cut were small at only 5 foot across and went to 10 to 15 foot and more at the base..

the DA 211 was a "lite weight" saw weighing only 65 pounds with the 36" bar as shown here.

Remember,, In 1951 when these were introduced many cutters were packing much heavier saws and many more were still using handsaws to fell and buck.

ric
petesawyerstewart014-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back