Importance of vacuum/pressure testing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most here will understand this but I feel somewhat obligated to reiterate the importance of vacuum/pressure testing small two stroke equipment. Just sold a top end job on a mtronic 362. Don’t throw parts at anything before you know how it failed.
View attachment 1207501View attachment 1207502View attachment 1207503
PS apologies for the long ranting. Sunday afternoon here and I was *literally* waiting for paint to dry. I’ll try to reel it in…

Apologies to OP BallisticDoughut I don’t mean to undermine the point he was making in this thread—which is an *excellent* point and I ++++1 it wholeheartedly.

Where can I get or what is the name of the tool you use to screw into the spark plug hole?
The Stihl compression tester is usually around $100 US. I just googled what it looks like and the part # for it. It’s an excellent excellent tool but it will only work on small motors—if you want it for measuring compression in cars or motorcycles or whatnot it probably won’t be able to reach the spark plugs. But for chainsaws and small motors there is no “better” tool on earth:

1727704181497.png

For less than 20 US dollars you can buy one in any auto parts supply store or from Amazon if you search for “compression tester”

I just found this one on Amazon for 14 US

1727704266865.png

If you buy the 14 dollar one the instruction manual will tell you that you can skip inserting the threaded fitting into the plug and simply push the rubber nipple attachments to the plug hole firmly—the ones in the top half of the red box above. I would STRONGLY suggest never to use the pressure fit rubber nipple connection method—always always always thread the gauge into the plug hole. Those press-to-fit will never give you any consistency in the results because they fail to create a seal.

I’ve never used the inexpensive ones but I’ve seen them used plenty. Mine isn’t made by Stihl but it’s one that actually cost more 🤣 and is of the same quality.

Good luck fella!

Back