It's here! The M-Tronic MS261C is finally here.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That much gain with a MM, and how long do we have to wait to see tightened squish? Advanced timing? Fully ported? I can hardly wait!

With these initial rough numbers, any revised gain predictions on future mods?

Remember, the MM gains are inflated due to the knot in the wood, but still....!!! I'm going to stick with my original prediction. You're hoping I'm right, right?:D

Let's throw this in the mix. Different B&C, don't know what rim is on it, and didn't touch the chain. What do we have here, Rory? Thanks for the times.

[video=youtube_share;GSNk7tTTW9U]http://youtu.be/GSNk7tTTW9U[/video]

Nice videos! Is it accurate to say that the M responds more to a muffler mod than the regular 261?

Not to disrespect cookie times and stuff, but as a work saw I'm liking what I'm seein' in the C-M with just a MM. Really anxious to see if the squish-tighten yields any grunt, which BTW it looked like it really had for it's class of saw. Might be fun to see how it (the 261C) would stack up against other in-class competition with "too much" bar, pitch/raker, and/or sprocket. Not to imply that any of that stuff happens in the real world. ;)

Last edited:
Is there a link to the 261 muffler mod? Interested in trying it out on my new 261! Not sure what opening sizes to go for, etc.

For the 2nd exhaust opening added, where does one get the extra screen? (yeah, I'm a dumb newb :( )

Thanks!!

Not to disrespect cookie times and stuff, but as a work saw I'm liking what I'm seein' in the C-M with just a MM. Really anxious to see if the squish-tighten yields any grunt, which BTW it looked like it really had for it's class of saw. Might be fun to see how it (the 261C) would stack up against other in-class competition with "too much" bar, pitch/raker, and/or sprocket.

Often, I won't even test a saw before modding the muffler. This just goes to show just how choked up many saws really are. I'm going to guess maybe another 10% with the added compression and intake duration that will give. I'm expecting to end up with ignition timing in the stock position. Just my guesses.

You can expect this saw to be done sometime Saturday. I'll probably have the cylinder base cut and tested tomorrow evening after work. Saturday will be for porting.

Is there a link to the 261 muffler mod? Interested in trying it out on my new 261! Not sure what opening sizes to go for, etc.

For the 2nd exhaust opening added, where does one get the extra screen? (yeah, I'm a dumb newb :( )

Thanks!!

I open up the hole under the factory deflector to the edges of the deflector. I grind a slot in the tube inside the muffler, from the back side. I then louver the opposite side of the muffler. There are no screens currently on this saw. If a spark arrestor is needed, the louver would have to be replaced with a deflector and screen.

Brad any idea if your gonna be able to get your hands on more 261cms once you get this one uncorked to your liking? I know I have a credit card waiting to melt when your ready to sell them all done up and I'm surly not the only one.:msp_thumbup:

Brad any idea if your gonna be able to get your hands on more 261cms once you get this one uncorked to your liking? I know I have a credit card waiting to melt when your ready to sell them all done up and I'm surly not the only one.:msp_thumbup:

I have not discussed this any further with my dealer. I will definitely be crossing that bridge as soon as I see the results of this project.

MM

attachment.php

Not to disrespect cookie times and stuff, but as a work saw I'm liking what I'm seein' in the C-M with just a MM. Really anxious to see if the squish-tighten yields any grunt, which BTW it looked like it really had for it's class of saw. Might be fun to see how it (the 261C) would stack up against other in-class competition with "too much" bar, pitch/raker, and/or sprocket. Not to imply that any of that stuff happens in the real world. ;)

So, what do you think of maybe a "Snellerized Stage 1" mod that cuts the cylinder base (retaining the factory gasket), mods the muffler, and alters the ignition timing (should that be necessary)? It would include everything but the porting. This mod also leaves the strato intact, meaning better fuel economy and less fumes. I've had at least a couple guys suggest I do this, but haven't pursued it. I could offer maybe 75% of the gains for less than 1/2 the cost of traditional porting. For the guys that want the max, we know what that takes as well.

Just as a reminder, I do not add any additional compression other than that gained by tightening the squish. I end up with 180-190 PSI, and that's all I want in this saw. I've tried more, and didn't like the results. It's just not needed. The squish on a 261 is in the .035" ball park, so tightening the squish makes a pretty good difference.

So, what do you think of maybe a "Snellerized Stage 1" mod that cuts the cylinder base (retaining the factory gasket), mods the muffler, and alters the ignition timing (should that be necessary)? It would include everything but the porting. This mod also leaves the strato intact, meaning better fuel economy and less fumes. I've had at least a couple guys suggest I do this, but haven't pursued it. I could offer maybe 75% of the gains for less than 1/2 the cost of traditional porting. For the guys that want the max, we know what that takes as well.

Sounds like a really good idea. Massive power is great and all, but there is more to life. Having reduced fumes and nice fuel economy are good things in my book. Saving a few bucks is also nice, and "stage 1" is probably all that would be needed for a non-competitive work saw for us mere mortals.

My credit card is standing by... :D

Back