It's here! The M-Tronic MS261C is finally here.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brad,
IIRC you put an 044 carb on the 1st 261 you built at the end of the thread and it looked super strong. I'm thinking if the m-tronic can fuel it like an 044 carb it will beat the snot out of a ported 261 with the stock carb.

I only replaced that carb because I ruined the original trying to mod it. How much that added I'm not sure. What I do know, is that they run super strong with the stock carb. Swapping carbs is not a service I offer, so is really a moot point. Unless the venturi is larger, i don't see how the carb alone can make it make more power.

Last edited:
Just for the record, I'm not expecting this saw to make more power than the original version after porting. In stock form, maybe. Mods seem to level the playing field with the 441s, although I have not compared them back to back. An engine is an air pump. The engines are the same. The difference I'd in the state of tune. That is all optimized as part of the porting process. For example, timing advance alone is worth significant gains on many, not all, saws. MTronic does that for us, real time.

If plans fall through with the stock 261 to compare with,
I'll take up your offer to muffler mod mine. It's brand new with only a few tanks through it. I can send it off on a hurry.

I am VERY peticular about my saws. Don't worry it is in good hands.

Yours has been run and is cleaned back up. I didn't think about it until later, but I used your chain, which means I'll have to keep that chain until I'm done with this. I'll be done within the next few days though.

Videos coming.

1. MS261C - Stock
2. MS261C - Muffler Modded
3. MS261 - Ported

Tomorrow/Saturday, I'll be cutting the cylinder base, and retesting. I'll then advance the ignition and retest. After that, it's time to port it. The new regular MS261 is on it's way, so will be getting the vids of it stock, MMd, and timing advanced.

I'm just beginning the editing process, so it'll be a while.

Here are the times that I recorded using my dumb phone's stopwatch.

Stock MS261CM:

MM MS261CM:

Ported MS261 (Rich):

Ported MS261 (Lean):

Looks like Rory's saw is about 32% faster than the MMd 261C.

Look at the difference re-tuning made. That's why it's so important to have a saw tuned right when making comparisons. In this case, it made for a 6-7% improvement.

Back