Jonsered 2165 turbo vs Jonsered 2171 turbo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR.STIHL036

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have been hearing a lot of talk that the 2171 is a whole lot better saw than a 2165. I have at one point run both saws and have noticed no more than a slight raise in power for the 2171 other than that they seem the same.if any one knows of any differents let me know

The 2165 is 65cc's. The 2171 is just under 71cc's.

Everything is the same except for the P&C. The Husky 365 / Jonsered 2165 are good strong runners for saws in the mid 60cc class. Lots of power there.

I for one am a fan of a 365 / 2165 with the 372xpw P&C in them, makes for a nice sleeper. ;)

I say 2171, more power, same weight, but go with whatever fits your wallet.

2165 is actually a very good choice for the weekend warrior that doesn't spend a lot of time with the saw learning the art of keeping the saw on the power band.

It has a little less power, but a wider, flatter torque curve, so is more forgiving.

I would say that the place where the 2171 really has it over the 65 would be in the conifers out west, where sawyers consider anything under a 24" bar a toy. It would be hard to load either saw hard enough with a 16" bar in 12" oak to tell much difference

2165 is actually a very good choice for the weekend warrior that doesn't spend a lot of time with the saw learning the art of keeping the saw on the power band.

It has a little less power, but a wider, flatter torque curve, so is more forgiving.

I would say that the place where the 2171 really has it over the 65 would be in the conifers out west, where sawyers consider anything under a 24" bar a toy. It would be hard to load either saw hard enough with a 16" bar in 12" oak to tell much difference

Lotta truth there

That's exactly why I dumped the 372XP and kept my 357XP.

Take Care

what you talkin about? i hear the thing spool up and whistle:hmm3grin2orange:

back the topic.......both good saws! cant go wrong either way! as stated above they are the same other than the piston and cylinder

I have been hearing a lot of talk that the 2171 is a whole lot better saw than a 2165. I have at one point run both saws and have noticed no more than a slight raise in power for the 2171 other than that they seem the same.if any one knows of any differents let me know

Zama versus Walbro carbs, some of the 2165s had Zamas that could be fussing on tuning without much ability to fix. Lots of ideas for fixes but the best solution was to replace it with the Walbro carb.

Basically a lag, if it was real bad the engine would sound like it was going to stall when throttling up to WOT and when it was severe the engine would die after when returning to idle from WOT.

Squeeze trigger, almost stall.
Release trigger, almost stall.
If it was a bad carb, the saw would stall, especially when cold. Tune the saw and the next day it would need to be retuned.

I have one of those Zamas on the 365 that I currently using. Replaced metering level spring and it was improved but still stalls occasionally when returning to idle.
Starts back up instantly with maybe as little as a quarter tug on the starter every time.

Too much TURBO for the Zama.

If you really want to confuse yourself, run a 2171, 2165 and 2163 side by side.

Both real good saws I have both it depends on your money issue the 65 is a lit cheaper of you go with the 65 and you decide you need more power later for.only a hundred bucks you can get a 2171 372 p&c to put on it or even better yet a big bore p&c and you got a saw that is a lit bigger then a 2171 so spend the extra hundred now and get the 2171 or spend it latter if you think u need more and have a lit more power then a 2171 but both are really good saws and depends on what you cut the best all around saw for most is deff the 2171 372 well the 71cc red or orange saws And me saying super charger is as dumb as them calling it a turbo lol

Zama versus Walbro carbs, some of the 2165s had Zamas that could be fussing on tuning without much ability to fix. Lots of ideas for fixes but the best solution was to replace it with the Walbro carb.

Basically a lag, if it was real bad the engine would sound like it was going to stall when throttling up to WOT and when it was severe the engine would die after when returning to idle from WOT.

Squeeze trigger, almost stall.
Release trigger, almost stall.
If it was a bad carb, the saw would stall, especially when cold. Tune the saw and the next day it would need to be retuned.

I have one of those Zamas on the 365 that I currently using. Replaced metering level spring and it was improved but still stalls occasionally when returning to idle.
Starts back up instantly with maybe as little as a quarter tug on the starter every time.

Too much TURBO for the Zama.

I believe the Zama carbs used on those saws just are smaller than the Walbros used, and that is all it really is about. It mainly matters if you want to put a larger top end on the saw, hardly if you keep it stock.

I believe the Zama carbs used on those saws just are smaller than the Walbros used, and that is all it really is about. It mainly matters if you want to put a larger top end on the saw, hardly if you keep it stock.

It mainly matters if you want the saw to run. It is a carb flaw, some of the Zamas work fine and others will be iffy. As the saw breaks in the iffy ones get worse. Lower the metering lever spring tension and they will work better. Being smaller is just one more reason to get the Walbro.

I will pay a bit more for a 365/372 with the Walbro than the Zama, unlike 357/359s.

I've seen alot of burned up 2165s due to the zama junk carb and operators that dont use their ears. I'd opt for the 2171 though, If I can get more power in the same weight package then thats where I go. Granted there is a big price jump for new product from the 65 to 71 if you can find one.

Back