What is the all time best chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A large part of answering a question, is interpreting it, and answering what you think is being asked. After 16 pages of answers, well, I've got a different take on "all time best saw"..
Arguably, I doubt if there's many members on this site who own less than six saws. Yeah.. It's an addiction, and this is the support group.. This and Jack Daniel's..
My all time favourite saw? For me, it's the one that got this addiction started.
An Echo 400"F".. and .. oh yes.. I shelled out the extra $20 bucks for the "F" model.. Tool less adjustment of bar tension?? Oh Heck yeah!! Mine !! .. MIne .. Mine!!..
Boss was whining about not being able to find anyone to deal with some trees that he wanted down on a few properties he owned.. The words that have rumbled through what I call a brain for a few decades, that have defined my life, reared their ugly heads..
" How much could that possibly cost"...
" What could possibly go wrong?"
"What's the worst that could happen?".

So, down to Home Depot, and a brand new Echo 400 F it was.. I figured that I could drop the trees, make a couple of bucks, and walk away with a free chain saw.

So it was that one saw that started the addiction.. A lowly Echo 400 F, a "meh", all around saw, on the best of days.. It could have been any saw.. Stihl, Husky, Echo.. it wouldn't have mattered. It was the first saw that was the best all time chain saw that I've ever had.. It was the one that got me started.

Best saw ever? The one that got me started down this road.
Funny! I’m actually very fond of the same saw minus the “F” part. I’ll always have one in one fashion or another. I’ve got an old cs370 which is the same chassis from 2009 or so that runs like new but one saw that is always with me is my Shindaiwa 402s, which is nothing more than an Echo cs400 in red. It gets close to more run time than any of my saws. It’s just a light, smooth, and quiet little saw. I run a 16 on it and with a sharp chain it’ll bury it and cut some pretty big stuff from time to time when I don’t want to gas up a bigger saw. Great saw. Maybe it’s because I have one, but I feel like they get mentioned a lot.

Did someone say Black Locust :sweet:
Lots of it!
Dried yes, green(if the whole thing is green, if you cut it you know half can be alive and half dead) it's not that hard, just different.
I'd tend to agree. I don't cut a lot of BL, but I've cut a fair amount over the years. It's my favorite firewood, but I have more access to hickory. Green, I don't think it cuts any worse than white oak or hickory, definitely not as bad as red elm. I've never had a problem splitting BL either. The grain is relatively straight, and once it dries it splits okay with an ax. I've never tried to split it green, so that might be a noticeably different story. Once the end checks, hitting the crack once or twice is usually enough to do the job. Knots, on the other hand, are a different story. That's why god made noodles....

Hedge (Osage Orange), on other hand, makes red elm look like laffy taffy. I've only cut a couple of loads of it, but even though most of the rounds were on the smaller side (8"-12 across") my Fiskars X27, and my 8 lb maul both bounced off like I'd just tried to split an anvil. As my dad would say, that stuff is harder than hammered hell. It even makes my hydraulic splitter angry.

Back on the original topic, and this is strictly from a western timber cutting perspective, my all time favorite saw was the 045/056 Stihls. The 056 Magnum II would pull a 50" bar if needed but I ran a 36" bar most of the time. It was the highest revving "muscle" saw in it's time so it was smoother cutting and the absolute best at limbing. In addition to that it had THE BEST siting of any saw I've ever owned and I've had a lot. These saws had plenty of lines that were either parallel to or 90 degrees to the bar. Even the handlebars were good to site with. Don't forget to "locktite" everything and be sure to run a green weenie. A lot of guys I cut with ended up buying one of these after trying out one of mine. I owned a total of 23 of these from the early 045's all the way to it's final incarnation. My all time favorite.
Yeah I love my 056 mag II so much I now have two of them.

Pulls a 36 inch bar no problems and with the dual exhaust sounds like an angry lion, ear plugs mandatory not optional.

My favourite used to be my 036 then shifted to a 044. They are both great saws but just doenst compare to the old school muscle and feel of the 056s

I'd tend to agree. I don't cut a lot of BL, but I've cut a fair amount over the years. It's my favorite firewood, but I have more access to hickory. Green, I don't think it cuts any worse than white oak or hickory, definitely not as bad as red elm. I've never had a problem splitting BL either. The grain is relatively straight, and once it dries it splits okay with an ax. I've never tried to split it green, so that might be a noticeably different story. Once the end checks, hitting the crack once or twice is usually enough to do the job. Knots, on the other hand, are a different story. That's why god made noodles....

Hedge (Osage Orange), on other hand, makes red elm look like laffy taffy. I've only cut a couple of loads of it, but even though most of the rounds were on the smaller side (8"-12 across") my Fiskars X27, and my 8 lb maul both bounced off like I'd just tried to split an anvil. As my dad would say, that stuff is harder than hammered hell. It even makes my hydraulic splitter angry.
Never tried splitting Osage, but having tried live oak, is why I know there can’t be much comparison considering how others talk about splitting black locust. You simply just DON’T split live oak with an axe, and I’m a splitting fool. With live oak, green or dry, if you’re not ready, the axe is coming right back at you. You might be able to tell where the maul struck. Lol

My primary firewood is BL, I feel blessed to have it. It's a joy to split, just wesr gloves as the splinters aren't nice, and when brushing them out watch out for the thorns :cry:. But a little plantain chewed up and applied to both splinter holes and thorn wounds helps greatly.

Funny! I’m actually very fond of the same saw minus the “F” part. I’ll always have one in one fashion or another. I’ve got an old cs370 which is the same chassis from 2009 or so that runs like new but one saw that is always with me is my Shindaiwa 402s, which is nothing more than an Echo cs400 in red. It gets close to more run time than any of my saws. It’s just a light, smooth, and quiet little saw. I run a 16 on it and with a sharp chain it’ll bury it and cut some pretty big stuff from time to time when I don’t want to gas up a bigger saw. Great saw. Maybe it’s because I have one, but I feel like they get mentioned a lot.
A neighbour had a 488 Shindiawa , nice saw for what it was !

I have
My primary firewood is BL, I feel blessed to have it. It's a joy to split, just wesr gloves as the splinters aren't nice, and when brushing them out watch out for the thorns :cry:. But a little plantain chewed up and applied to both splinter holes and thorn wounds helps greatly.
I have an abundance of Black Ash , Ironwood both are excellent firewood species . They split & season quickly , offer excellent heat with little ash ( pun intended ). Otherwise Hardrock Maple & Silver & Yellow Birch . I cutdown & split up a few Beech this spring & intend on trialing it later this fall as a substitute to the Ironwood . Summer certainly has went by quick , did i mention i love my 346 xp & 357 xp old but proven 300 Series . Wish i had kept my Uncles 272 xp & 372 xp lol.

This might sound crazy but my pops Homeliite super xL and Mac 10/10 has cut a lot of wood. We thought we were the dogs back in the 70’s using them. They still run great.
I’ll have to say the Stihl 361/362 is about the best saw I’ve run for a while. The 500i is good but dang the prices on everything jeez.

I have

I have an abundance of Black Ash , Ironwood both are excellent firewood species . They split & season quickly , offer excellent heat with little ash ( pun intended ). Otherwise Hardrock Maple & Silver & Yellow Birch . I cutdown & split up a few Beech this spring & intend on trialing it later this fall as a substitute to the Ironwood . Summer certainly has went by quick , did i mention i love my 346 xp & 357 xp old but proven 300 Series . Wish i had kept my Uncles 272 xp & 372 xp lol.
Beech is excellent firewood, second only to Sugar Maple in my book. The white ash are completely gone on my property, and I will cut down and burn any dead standing Ironwood that i run across. There is a small stand of Black Locust growing on my property, which i intend to get rid of since it's spreading and non-native in my area.

Well the best saw I ran today was my 461 so the MS461 is the best at the moment!

I think the best all time is probably the 500i until somethin' better comes along. Big power, relatively lightweight (especially for its displacement).

And then you used the big name saws and just kept wishing that 3400 would blow up so you could get one 😆. They did last forever, but slow, heavy, terrible "anti-vibe".
Base gasket delete Trim the cylinder just a bit Widen the ports Open up the tranfers and raise them a litte Gut the muffler and cut a side port in it File off 1/2 the timing key Put a vented top cover on from a 3800 so it can breath Now with very little expence you raised the rpm's a whole bunch Now this old green screamer will cut right with my MS311 and my buddys MS391 all day long in big red oak With a few pretty easy mods these old slugs scream like a Detroit!! LOL

I have

Those are my favorite saws… 272, 372, and 357. I love 353’s also. Very simple, reliable saws. All engine parts are straight up and down, vertical and horizontal. Parts and fasteners are easy to get to, and they perform nicely and don’t vibrate much. The last bunch of saws before the throwaway consumer generation, if you ask me.

Those are my favorite saws… 272, 372, and 357. I love 353’s also. Very simple, reliable saws. All engine parts are straight up and down, vertical and horizontal. Parts and fasteners are easy to get to, and they perform nicely and don’t vibrate much. The last bunch of saws before the throwaway consumer generation, if you ask me.
I purchased a 5105 H & 7900 Dolkita' over the last few yrs . My 2nd go too saws after the xp's . Different feel but very capable saws also . I stocked up on some spare components since they ceased manufacturing in 2022 unfortunately .

I purchased a 5105 H & 7900 Dolkita' over the last few yrs . My 2nd go too saws after the xp's . Different feel but very capable saws also . I stocked up on some spare components since they ceased manufacturing in 2022 unfortunately .
I know the feel… I had a Maryuyama branded 5100. I think it was the same saw as the 5105. It spun up and ran very nicely. The fit and finish on those Dolmars is just unsurpassed. I would have that saw back in a heartbeat and never even have touched a 261 if I could go back. Right now I just don’t have a good slot for a 50cc saw.

A neighbour had a 488 Shindiawa , nice saw for what it was !
I have 3 Shinny 488s, at 77 it’s my go to saw when a neighbor has a limb down, then I go to the CS670,Dolly 6421 or the 394Husky. The balance and easy starting with the 488 with a 20” are the reason I grab it first .

Base gasket delete Trim the cylinder just a bit Widen the ports Open up the tranfers and raise them a litte Gut the muffler and cut a side port in it File off 1/2 the timing key Put a vented top cover on from a 3800 so it can breath Now with very little expence you raised the rpm's a whole bunch Now this old green screamer will cut right with my MS311 and my buddys MS391 all day long in big red oak With a few pretty easy mods these old slugs scream like a Detroit!! LOL
I'd rather run a 311 or the 391, even with the stupid flippy caps and the little chip catcher by the oil fill. I'm a big fan of spring AV and side tensioners, and not a fan of Detroit lol. But yes, Detroits sound great, but the 12sp auto in the 23' Volvo VNL760 I drive shifts just fine for standard freight, vs shifting gears in an old semi :yes:.
My all time best chainsaws all have side tensioners and spring AV.

This might sound crazy but my pops Homeliite super xL and Mac 10/10 has cut a lot of wood. We thought we were the dogs back in the 70’s using them. They still run great.
I’ll have to say the Stihl 361/362 is about the best saw I’ve run for a while. The 500i is good but dang the prices on everything jeez.
The guy who originally owned the farm that dad and I have always cut on used to run homelite saws back in the 70s and early 80s. I think he had 3, but I dont' remember the model numbers. His son in law (our neighbor) and grandson also ran them. Between the lot of them, they were pretty lucky if they could have more than one of them running at any given time.

Latest posts

Back