Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got to remember the time frame, and most by then had switched to plastic pieces where there was metal before. Trying to keep it reasonable in weight and price I would imagine, and they aren't that fragile. Just don't try to free a stuck bar by pulling on it. About the only weakness I've heard of, other than lack of spares, but thats just par for saws of this vintage. Try to keep an eye on the wiring, thats also hard to find.

All true...now you just have keep an eye peeled for a parts saw...this is how it starts you know???? Then you find a parts saw.......but it's to good to tear apart as it only needs a few things...so then you're looking for two more parts saws!!LOLOL!!!

The ign on the 910E is rather funny.....the spark coil is made onto the sparkplug boot...on a brighter note the later 451E/EV used the same ign setup and can be swapped out I've heard. They are more common than the 910E...but you have to make sure as the earlier 451E used a different ign.

More 670 info

There is no cross-bolt, at least there isn't supposed to be. I added a modified (shortened) Stihl 066 roller chain catcher, that is what You are seeing at the bottom. It bolts onto the outer spike and just sticks into a hole in the inner spike. Here is a better picture:

HPIM3929.jpg

As a side note, I don't think 670's ever came with an outer spike, just the inner. Husqvarna 272's definitely did, though and they are the same spikes.

Here is a set of spikes on ebay, a bit pricey but they are new.

Here is the thread documenting the buildup of that saw if You're interested.

Thanks a lot for sharing your 670 build-up info link, that's a goodly amount of special effort you put into your 670!! I kept looking for a video of it making chips as I'd LOVE to hear that modded exhaust under load!! Sooo what was your take on the final outcome of all the work you did!?? I'd sure be interested in knowing how the porting and MM affected the performance of your 670.....I'm presuming you had ran the saw in the stock configuration prior to the build-up!??

I also appreciate the info on the Husky falling spikes vs. what the Jonsered came with stock. I would like to configure my saw with the same falling spike setup as yours. You are correct about the NOS spikes from Canada being a bit on the pricey side........I sure don't need new but at least I now know what I want style wise!!

I'll have to look when I get home, but I believe I put a set of those dawgs on my 630S.
On edit: Bailey's has those dawgs for $14.95

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for sharing your 670 build-up info link, that's a goodly amount of special effort you put into your 670!! I kept looking for a video of it making chips as I'd LOVE to hear that modded exhaust under load!! Sooo what was your take on the final outcome of all the work you did!?? I'd sure be interested in knowing how the porting and MM affected the performance of your 670.....I'm presuming you had ran the saw in the stock configuration prior to the build-up!??

Aside from the porting and muffler mod it's also 5cc bigger with the 272 piston and cylinder. I've never run a stock 670, this one was blown up when I got it. The way it is now it will outrun a stock 372 by a fair margin. I really do need to make a video of it. My camera sucks for video, though. It does sound pretty cool.

I'll have to look when I get home, but I believe I put a set of those dawgs on my 630S.
On edit: Bailey's has those dawgs for $14.95

Thanks a bunch........that's the kind of deal I was lookin' for!! Got them added to my "cart" along with other stuff I'm getting for this project!!

Last edited:
insulation on the coil wires is shot. I'll probably tape them up and see how it runs whenever i get her back together. Unless someone has a better option than vinyl tape...? heat-shrink isn't going to work so great due to the limited flex of the stuff I'm used to.
attachment.php

The AV part at the bottom left is weird. The hole in the grommet is conical, but the sleeve insert in cylindrical. I assume due to wear... I may just assemble and fill the void with some kind of epoxy. the AV will still be fine, and the slop will be taken up. epoxy may be too brittle though. I'm missing whatever goes on the post and through the holes in the top right. A generous AS member hooked me up with the IPB, so I'll at least see what is suppose to go there.
attachment.php

Just an update as I'm waiting on the carb kit.

Eh..........Thanks!!

Aside from the porting and muffler mod it's also 5cc bigger with the 272 piston and cylinder. I've never run a stock 670, this one was blown up when I got it. The way it is now it will outrun a stock 372 by a fair margin. I really do need to make a video of it. My camera sucks for video, though. It does sound pretty cool.

Well now I've got all kinds of thoughts for the future of my 670!! Thanks for your time/knowledgeable input, sure enjoyed the conversation and sorry about the poor connection.

I'll be working on the .404 / .063 24" bar configuration tomorrow and hopefully they will work with me.

PS..........it's 93(F) degrees outside right now.........but it's a dry heat!! :)

Don't hate on me too bad for no pic's yet - I'll get some up tomorrow, but I JUST GOT MY FIRST JONSERED!!! A Snellerized 2153, and boy does it run. Ran two tanks thru it in some really hard, seasoned locust and some other hardwood, and I gotta' say I'm very impressed. This also happens to be my first ported saw, and for 50cc this thing flat rips. Can't wait to run it again!

:blob4:

Well it's pretty obvious from my sig that I'm pretty much a Husky man. I have to admit the Jonsereds kinda grow on ya. I'm certainly happy with the 3 I own.

Back