knot-free rigging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plasmech

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was pondering a way to make rigging branches down a little faster and more efficient. Yea yea I know I'm in no position to be worrying about this yet blah blah blah.

Anyway, instead of constantly tying, and then having the groundie un-tie, a running bowline, why not just DFL a steel 'biner to the end of your rigging line and use speed slings to girth hitch the limbs? Seems a lot quicker to attach and a whole lot quicker for the groundie to un-do after it's been loaded. Is there any reason this isn't done in practice?

Yep agree, my 1st real job for 3 years was with a contract co that just used "as you say" a bull / work rope and tag line with good solid snaps spliced into the ends. It worked a treat, lashed up the limb snip in the tag line & down it went. Easy un hook n snap the 2 ropes together pulled back up and so on. Unsure why this is not seen more in the trade. Sure others will advise on unseen down sides.

I do exactly that for light rigging with no shock loading. It's easier, faster, and works pretty smoothly. I carry up about a dozen 1" tube slings, and have 'em sent back up five or six at a time.

The downsides are less tensile strength, more pieces in the chain, and multiple more pieces to monitor for safety while in use. I wouldn't be willing to shock load the system with much weight at all with the extra (and weaker) pieces in the rigging chain.

edit: referring to Plas's OP.

I was pondering a way to make rigging branches down a little faster and more efficient. Yea yea I know I'm in no position to be worrying about this yet blah blah blah.

Anyway, instead of constantly tying, and then having the groundie un-tie, a running bowline, why not just DFL a steel 'biner to the end of your rigging line and use speed slings to girth hitch the limbs? Seems a lot quicker to attach and a whole lot quicker for the groundie to un-do after it's been loaded. Is there any reason this isn't done in practice?

Also do the same thing, web slings are cheap keep two or three on your belt and you can be setting up pieces while your groundies are unstrapping, or hook up two or three at a time for smaller stuff.

No I never read about it, was just thinking about it. Why do you say it won't work?

I get the feeling you've alread read about such a system.:laugh:

It won't work!

You would have the hardware to zip those limbs out...it would be quicker.

If strength is an issue you can make an endless loop by making an End For End splice on a piece of 1/2" or larger double braid rope. This loop can be girth hitched to the limb and attached to the rigging line quickly with a steel carabiner. Can be removed just as quickly on the ground since no knot untieing is involved. Makes for a rather efficient system.

Are you drunk man?

You're telling me that girth hitching a speed sling to a limb, then 'binering that sling to the end of a rigging line would not make a connection? Where is the logic here?

And no I never read Ekka's thread.

You must be channeling Ekka!

He chose the same title you did to explain the same system and had photos!

Even to the casual observer it's obvious it would never work.

I carry six slings w/biners on the back of my saddle almost all of the time. One has a small rescue pulley but if I don't have it I use a sling with biner for a false crotch.

I have been doing the biner thing, and small slings with girth hitch on lighter limbs, especially some of the pines with tons of branches. Makes it quicker. Also rig a few branches at the same time with clove hitches, just have to cut in the right order to keep tension on( start with the bottom branch and work up ) usually no more than 3 branches at a time though. I have only had 1 branch slip out on me, but thats also another reason to not have ground guy standing under fall path. I'll take a couple pics next time and post here.

Last edited:
You must be channeling Ekka!

He chose the same title you did to explain the same system and had photos!

Even to the casual observer it's obvious it would never work.

If this EKKA had photo's why would say it wouldn't work.

I know it wasn't intended as a joke. It was intended to look like you had come up with the idea out of the blue.........when really such ideas have been discussed here hundreds of times.:laugh:

You rock!:rockn:

/

Seriously...how old are you again? 17?

I know it wasn't intended as a joke. It was intended to look like you had come up with the idea out of the blue.........when really such ideas have been discussed here hundreds of times.:laugh:

You rock!:rockn:

/

Thanks for the psycho-analysis and no, you rock.

Anyway, I don't really like it, knotless rigging that is. For one the knot is always tied at the same spot on the biner that is used. Also it adds more links to mind. You got the limb, the rope, the loose strap and everything else to pay attention to. The falling limb gets all smashed up going down and that is no place for a biner to be. With just a knot its no problem if it gets beat up and smacked around. But there is no reason that it can't be done. When I worked with Treeco years ago we used a snap tied to the end of rope and just wrapped that around the branch. Treeco had a lot of bent snaps.
Its no big deal, you can if you want and it can be better is some applications. I , personally, just like to use the rope and tie the knot everytime. I enjoy watching the guy on the ground work to get it off.

Thanks for the psycho-analysis and no, you rock.

Anyway, I don't really like it, knotless rigging that is. For one the knot is always tied at the same spot on the biner that is used. Also it adds more links to mind. You got the limb, the rope, the loose strap and everything else to pay attention to. The falling limb gets all smashed up going down and that is no place for a biner to be. With just a knot its no problem if it gets beat up and smacked around. But there is no reason that it can't be done. When I worked with Treeco years ago we used a snap tied to the end of rope and just wrapped that around the branch. Treeco had a lot of bent snaps.
Its no big deal, you can if you want and it can be better is some applications. I , personally, just like to use the rope and tie the knot everytime. I enjoy watching the guy on the ground work to get it off.

:agree2:
It doesn't take that long to just tie an RB or a clove hitch .
The only excption would be if I need to cut and throw some pcs. but they are just a bit out of reach or too heavy to hold with one hand.
Clip it,cut it,tip it over,unclip it,throw it,move to next one.

Plasmech,

Knotless rigging with a sling and a 'biner has been around for awhile.

For light rigging, I use it all the time, because it's quicker, especially for the groundman. It's also quick in the tree if you need to move around for the next rig, just clip the 'biner onto your saddle and move.

The dan makes a point about rigging being no place for a 'biner, that's why they make steel 'biners rated to 32Kn. A slam off the trunk, or a clink off a patio stone doesn't worry me with a steel 'biner, like it would with alloy. I also use sewn Dyneema slings, rated to 27Kn, equal to my light rigging ropes.

It's not a new idea, just a good one.

RedlineIt

Latest posts

Back