Let's Start a Muff Mod Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, no argument there but many similarities. Don't you think that the engineers had their pencils reasonably sharp and although they were not designing a race saw got flow and back pressure designed for a balance of power and economy.

The top main design criteria are emissions, noise, and size(will it fit). If efficiency were higher up, chainsaws would have huge louvres or ports as they did before 1996 when the first serious rounds of emissions laws attacked two stroke engines(a la the dual port mufflers on Stihls). Everything about chainsaw mufflers is foremost a compromise of these aforementioned factors. Tuning a tiny box to 'resonate' properly or add tuned back pressure is like teaching a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig. If you want plenty of back pressure, you couldn't do any better than to use a tiny box with a tiny hole for a muffler unless you simply plugged the exhaust.

Many people cite lower cylinder temps after muffler mod's and porting. If you flow enough raw unburned fuel straight through and out the exhaust things are bound to run cooler but you'll be filling up all the more. If anyone can prove otherwise I'm all ears.

Most of the 'excess' heat is the factory saw running lean into an exhaust that is not designed to flow well. A good mixture out of a free-flowing exhaust will almost always be cooler than a relatively new stock saw set to factory specs to pass emissions.

Is there any "ratio" for the volume of the muffler when compared to the cc size of the engine?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

My hat is off to you fellas that silver braze and make them look that good.

Apparently, I can't hit a bulls ass with a base fiddle!

My hat is off to you fellas that silver braze and make them look that good.

Apparently, I can't hit a bulls ass with a base fiddle!

Just in case someone missed it! Next time in Lowe's I'm gonna look into what it takes to braze.

When should you do a MM on a brand new saw - in this case, my Stihl MS-362 C-M? Wait for the 2 year warranty to be up or.....

Thanks,

Just in case someone missed it! Next time in Lowe's I'm gonna look into what it takes to braze.

When should you do a MM on a brand new saw - in this case, my Stihl MS-362 C-M? Wait for the 2 year warranty to be up or.....

Thanks,

Ideally you need acetylene and oxygen. You can get away with a mapp gas and oxygen setup, which is what I have. You will need flux and also silver brazing rod (NOT silver solder in the roll).

Go watch numerous youtube videos on how to silver braze, then go out to the garage/shop and screw it up. Well, at least that is how it went for me.

I got the front of the dual pipes done with silver braze. It is not beauty queen, but I am sure it will flow exhaust gases.

The way I ran my dual pipes through the internal baffle, I wanted to attach the pipes inside too. Then I had to weld on a "top plate" where I cut the muffler open to remove the OEM exhaust port.

I was so fed up with brazing, I did the inside welds and top plate with the mig welder.

I will attach some pictures after it is painted.

This is the opening that I cut to remove the OEM exhaust port on top of the muffler.

I tacked the nut in the middle so that I could screw in a bolt to hold the "top plate" while I tacked it in place.

I used 10 gauge steel and it covers the whole top. I placed it inside and focused the mig weld on the heavier steel.

Cut the nut off and ground down the weld.

It ain't pretty, but it should work.

uploadfromtaptalk1394252278453.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1394252311134.jpg

9yty5egu.jpg
2yqejeha.jpg
here's my 346,1in pipe but look closely inside.

My first soldering job. Wow that is a lot easier and cleaner than welding.IMG_20140310_163914_887.jpg

Just thought I would throw up some pics of a mod I did on a MS390 I had, the added piece is cut and ported along with the inner structure to direct exhaust out. I was surprised as to how well it sounded, had a nice smooth but not to loud tone, as for performance I hogged the exhaust port a little while in there and the throttle response woke up a little but still wasn't the saw I wanted so down the road it went.Photo301.jpg Photo302.jpg Photo303.jpg

The clamshell stihls seem to really wake up with a muffler mod they are especially choked up .

Thinking of adding some gills to my 362. anyone done those on a 362? I don't want it to get TOO loud.

i did a mm to my ms362 (added another port, w/ screen) and it's a lot louder....that said, the power gains were worth it.

Latest posts

Back