Let's Start a Muff Mod Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn fine work there Homelite!

Do you just use regular old heat paint when you are done?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
Thank you for the complement, I have about an hour and 15 min in that one. I use stove paint on my mufflers when I'm done. It lasts about 2 yrs or so..
Does anyone on her sell modded mufflers? I picked up a Walbro 215 for my 025, and now want to add a modded muffler.
None for sale here but I have done some mufflers for hire, or barter:cool:

Thank you for the complement, I have about an hour and 15 min in that one. I use stove paint on my mufflers when I'm done. It lasts about 2 yrs or so..

Do you just spray them and let them dry?

I was thinking about using that ceramic header paint, then baking it for about 30-45 minutes.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Helpful video for MS290, 310, 390 family

Louder isn't necessarily better or more powerful. Baffles are sometimes designed to improve flow @ specific RPM. Think cars with "tuned exhaust", "tuned intake" and the geometry of car engine header tubes. These are all built like musical instruments to RESONATE at a specific frequency(RPM). If you can do this to your saw, BAM, power band. If you want it to "look cool" just go ahead and hang some "danglies" (bar fastening devices) off the rear handle and make it match the hitch on your truck.

Here's a couple examples dealing with cars but the same techniques and theories apply

Hope this was helpful

I was once working on a truck with an exhaust leak and tightened up a bolt with the rattle gun while the truck was running. The rattle gun damn bear stalled the truck, if that's not proof enough right there to what anlrolfe is saying I donno what is. That's why engineers get the big $$!

What do you guys think.
abyqebeb.jpg

Louder isn't necessarily better or more powerful. Baffles are sometimes designed to improve flow @ specific RPM. Think cars with "tuned exhaust", "tuned intake" and the geometry of car engine header tubes. These are all built like musical instruments to RESONATE at a specific frequency(RPM). If you can do this to your saw, BAM, power band. If you want it to "look cool" just go ahead and hang some "danglies" (bar fastening devices) off the rear handle and make it match the hitch on your truck.

Here's a couple examples dealing with cars but the same techniques and theories apply

Hope this was helpful

That would be helpful.... if your chainsaw has a pipe and was a four stroke... Tuned exhaust for 2-strokes are an entirely different principle.

Tuned exhaust for 2-strokes are an entirely different principle.

Yup, no argument there but many similarities. Don't you think that the engineers had their pencils reasonably sharp and although they were not designing a race saw got flow and back pressure designed for a balance of power and economy.

Many people cite lower cylinder temps after muffler mod's and porting. If you flow enough raw unburned fuel straight through and out the exhaust things are bound to run cooler but you'll be filling up all the more. If anyone can prove otherwise I'm all ears.

I understand what your saying here but, would you spend a little more in fuel so that your saw runs cooler and in return lasts longer? I like cutting and hate waiting on a saw to cut, so if it costs me a little more to get the wood home faster and my saw runs cooler, than so be it. It is no fun cutting wood with a epa choked down turd of a saw!

Little more fuel? Depends.

I have opened up the mufflers on my Stihl 026 and 039 to the point that they are equal or slightly more than their European brothers. I believe that the US emissions choked them back and slight improvement in flow returns them to the "As Designed" performance. So will this effect the fuel consumption? Sure. Does it effect it drastically? Nah!

All that said, I'm probably running ever slightly cooler and ever so slightly dirtier but with noticeable improvements "in the cut".

Latest posts

Back