Let's Start a Muff Mod Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
westcoaster, how far out do your dual pipes protrude from the muffler?

depends what muff i'm modding and where i put the outlets. i get them far enough to give the exhaust direction. sucks when you don't have them far enough and they melt plastic and stuff. my 372 pipes don't stick out that far.

Mine is a 359. I was planning on 3/4" but I am thinking that is a little bit much. Maybe 1/2" would be better.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

are you planning to close off the factory port? i pretty well do with all my saws. if you do close it off i'd go with 1". if you leave it open i would go with 11/16 or 3/4's. whatever i could find. i don't really get to picky about sizing. as long as it's bigger then factory you did good. i aim for 100% of the exhaust port. a little less, a little more, i don't really care.

From what I was reading online the black flux is very corrosive and it is recommended to wash it with detergent and vinegar afterwards.......

Is there any truth to this?

Could be,

I leave my stuff in the 'buff so to speak.

I see some patina but doesn't look too bad.

Sure flat black grill paint will make it look sanitary, but I leave my welds/brazes 'naked' reminds me to do a better job next time eh?

After all it is just a muffler, even stock they tend to get pretty ratty looking after time.

My best suggestion is try some different methods and stick (pun intended) with what works best for you.

'Black' flux used here, no wash, two+ years since soldered/brazed;

059.JPG

wanna see a strange one?

Uncle Lee (leeha) the known King of Big Inch Saws once told me this was THE most "unique" muff mod he had ever seen.

(guess that was about as nice as he could put it)

It's an old 1100 'jungle' muffler (four screws and it can go back to stock)

I was shooting for sumthin' akin to the old Max Wedge/HEMI Super Stock hood scoops (always been a mopar man)

Well as you can see it looks more like Daffy Ducks bill eh?

Oh well, bet there ain't another quite like it.

QUACK, QUACK!

062.JPG 062.JPG

are you planning to close off the factory port? i pretty well do with all my saws. if you do close it off i'd go with 1". if you leave it open i would go with 11/16 or 3/4's. whatever i could find. i don't really get to picky about sizing. as long as it's bigger then factory you did good. i aim for 100% of the exhaust port. a little less, a little more, i don't really care.

Yes, I am plating over the OEM opening. Here is my rough fit muffler mod. These are 5/8" inside diameter, but I am not sure how far they stick out of the muffler case.

20140221_171947.jpg

Here is another 59 I did
quneve9a.jpg
and another
jebyzuha.jpg
and another
quhy8a3u.jpg

wanna see a strange one?

Uncle Lee (leeha) the known King of Big Inch Saws once told me this was THE most "unique" muff mod he had ever seen.

(guess that was about as nice as he could put it)

It's an old 1100 'jungle' muffler (four screws and it can go back to stock)

I was shooting for sumthin' akin to the old Max Wedge/HEMI Super Stock hood scoops (always been a mopar man)

Well as you can see it looks more like Daffy Ducks bill eh?

Oh well, bet there ain't another quite like it.

QUACK, QUACK!

Good thing you got those extra large felling dogs. ;)

Here is another 59 I did
quneve9a.jpg
and another
jebyzuha.jpg
and another
quhy8a3u.jpg

Those look good!

If my brazing work turns out even a fraction as good as yours I will be happy. Whoever had my non-CAT muffler be must have painted over the surface rust. I took the wire wheel on the angle grinder to it yesterday and got it all cleaned up. I will use some heat paint after I get the tubes brazed in and will be ready to roll.

I have to braze in the patch to cover the OEM opening. I am just not sure whether to put the patch inside and braze it shut or put it on top and braze around it.

Yes, I am plating over the OEM opening. Here is my rough fit muffler mod. These are 5/8" inside diameter, but I am not sure how far they stick out of the muffler case.

View attachment 335275

oh my bad. your going with dual ports. no way would i consider 1" for that. single pipe ya but not dual. 5/8's is a nice size for dual ports.

In the event it needs it, can that silver braze be ground down after work is completed?

Yes, you will not be able to mig weld over the braze though. As for cleaning with the wire wheel you may want to consider blasting as the white wheel can tend to hear up the paint and smear it isn't any small pores and the flux and silver solder will not like it.

Latest posts

Back