Log Splitter Filter Problem.. Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buy a new hose that is long enough to go from the valve directly to the inlet of the tank and install it.Than operate the splitter.
Do not hold loose hydraulic hoses in your'e hand in an operating system. You can get killed doing that. Fluid under pressure will blow right through the skin and you will get a fine case of blood poisoning.
The short spurts were from the pressure relief valve releasing about 2500 PSI of pressure. The burst of oil came from the pressure build up in the system and releasing when the valve port went into neutral.( open).

woodchop said:
Buy a new hose that is long enough to go from the valve directly to the inlet of the tank and install it.Than operate the splitter.
Do not hold loose hydraulic hoses in your'e hand in an operating system. You can get killed doing that. Fluid under pressure will blow right through the skin and you will get a fine case of blood poisoning.
The short spurts were from the pressure relief valve releasing about 2500 PSI of pressure. The burst of oil came from the pressure build up in the system and releasing when the valve port went into neutral.( open).

so....what you're saying is that the relief valve is malfunctioning?

Relief valve is functioning. It's releasing at the pressure it is set at and protecting the hydraulic system.

This might help:

http://www.northernhydraulics.net/ws/aboutus3.php?page_id=3655

Scroll to the bottom of the page.

I know it mentions under leakage to check the relief valve, but this is for leaks on the pressure side of the system.
The return side of the system has some pressure, but not near as high as the pressure side.
Like others have mentioned in the forum, a hydraulic system that has a pump coupled to an engine and that pump is rated for 20 GPM, it will pump 20 GPM as soon as the engine is running at operating speed, all the time. Not just when you operate the lever to move the cylinder.

woodchop said:
This might help:

http://www.northernhydraulics.net/ws/aboutus3.php?page_id=3655

Scroll to the bottom of the page.

I know it mentions under leakage to check the relief valve, but this is for leaks on the pressure side of the system.
The return side of the system has some pressure, but not near as high as the pressure side.
Like others have mentioned in the forum, a hydraulic system that has a pump coupled to an engine and that pump is rated for 20 GPM, it will pump 20 GPM as soon as the engine is running at operating speed, all the time. Not just when you operate the lever to move the cylinder.

great link....thanks!!!

i realize that one side of the system will have flow only and low pressure, but reading his post, he mentioned that while holding the hose it almost flew out of his hand. apparently, something is causing a burst of high pressure into the return line while under load.

since he has checked the hoses for obstructions and the tank vent, then the only culprit can be the control valve. so, and i'm taking a wild guess at this one...the relief valve must be allowing the oil to blow by at a certain pressure all at once. ya think?

Re:something is causing a burst of high pressure into the return line while under load.
The valve position is releasing the pressure from the cylinder and hoses or the relief valve it working.

Re:the relief valve must be allowing the oil to blow by at a certain pressure all at once.
Relieve valve releases at setting and closes when pressure is low.

In both cases the return side is designed to take this burst of oil unless there is a restriction. It's just more pronounced when you do not install the hoses and hold it in your'e hand. If you have a spitter deadhead the cylinder and with your'e hand on the return hose, move valve to neutral quick. You can feel the hose swell and jump in your'e hand.

ha...it must be a curse.

i let my brother-in-law borrrow the splitter for the past month. he mentioend that the filter was leaking oil...same situation...on the push stroke...and pull. he said he tried to tighten the filter the best he could...still leaked.

i brought it back home and started it up...he was right. so, i removed it completely and the seal remained in place. when i carefully removed the seal, i noticed a small speck of something there...in the same area the leak was (on the outside of the filter). i wiped the seal clean, wiped the inside boss where it sits clean, wiped the filter clean and hand tightened everything.

started it up....threw a log in...no leaks.

Everyone,

I finally fixed the problem. I installed a new valve and it works perfectly now. I want thank all of you for your input. Time to go split wood!

Thanks,
Angelo

angelom said:
Everyone,

I finally fixed the problem. I installed a new valve and it works perfectly now. I want thank all of you for your input. Time to go split wood!

Thanks,
Angelo

whoa...wait a sec...just for future reference...what was it about the valve that made it do that? were the seals gone? was it the relief valve?

I think that it's hard to try to both describe and diagnose hydraulic problems over the inter-web! I've seen directional valves malfunction and spike the lines and make them jump but never swell a filter, I would think that would take something between the out side of the valve and the tank impeding the oils flow.

It works now , that's all that matters!

It works now , that's all that matters!

true. but, i just thought for future reference it would be good to know if what was broke on the controller. so, the next time someone posts about a leaking oil filter a possible solution is archived in the forum.

by the way...how tight do you guys turn your filters?

Back