Looking for a new saw with a 24" bar. Echo 490 or Husky 550x?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IQRaceworks

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've got a huge oak tree that fell over in my backyard that I need to cut up. The trunk is around 30". I've got a few different saws (Echo 352 w/16" bar, Poulan Pro 5020Av w/20" bar), but I figured this gives me an excuse to get a bigger saw that will help me take care of this thing faster. Tried a few cuts with my 5020, and it's just a pig trying to get through that oak. Long story short, I'm looking for a good saw that I can put a 24" bar on, and will save me some time over my 5020. Yeah, it's a weak excuse....but I kind of just want another saw!

So, I've been doing a lot of research...and I think I've narrowed it down to a couple different saws. Either the Echo 590 (around $450), or the Husky 550X Mark II (around $690).......unless there is something else you guys would suggest I should look at. I've heard the 550 is an awesome saw.....but is it worth the extra $200+ that it's going to cost me? After I cut up this oak tree....honestly, the saw probably won't get used much. My little Echo 352 is what I use most of the time, it's an awesome little saw (after a muffler mod).

From what I've read online....the 590 is a great saw, but heavier than the 550....and the 550 probably makes more power than the 590, and is lighter. But am I just throwing away $200+ buying the 550?

Any suggestions or advice on these two saws would be great.

Thanks!

I've got a huge oak tree that fell over in my backyard that I need to cut up. The trunk is around 30". I've got a few different saws (Echo 352 w/16" bar, Poulan Pro 5020Av w/20" bar), but I figured this gives me an excuse to get a bigger saw that will help me take care of this thing faster. Tried a few cuts with my 5020, and it's just a pig trying to get through that oak. Long story short, I'm looking for a good saw that I can put a 24" bar on, and will save me some time over my 5020. Yeah, it's a weak excuse....but I kind of just want another saw!

So, I've been doing a lot of research...and I think I've narrowed it down to a couple different saws. Either the Echo 590 (around $450), or the Husky 550X Mark II (around $690).......unless there is something else you guys would suggest I should look at. I've heard the 550 is an awesome saw.....but is it worth the extra $200+ that it's going to cost me? After I cut up this oak tree....honestly, the saw probably won't get used much. My little Echo 352 is what I use most of the time, it's an awesome little saw (after a muffler mod).

From what I've read online....the 590 is a great saw, but heavier than the 550....and the 550 probably makes more power than the 590, and is lighter. But am I just throwing away $200+ buying the 550?

Any suggestions or advice on these two saws would be great.

Thanks!
neither. 20", tops on those. The 620P will pull a 24, however, with skip.
Start looking at 70cc saws for what you propose.

Back