Lubrication prior to running a rebuilt saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you really think carbon can build up from the small amount of oil used to lightly lube a new engine? Not only is the engine cold at initial startup, but that oil's going to burn off long before any carbon builds up. Neither is that initial lube of oil going to cause the rings to glaze.

Why does carbon buildup keep coming back? That's not the issue, and I don't recall anyone saying that it was. Unless you are referring to my last post, where I suggested that in addition to heartburn, a double-klotz sandwich might lead to carbon buildup?

Nikasil cylinder coating is designed to hold oil in it it's pores to aid in lubrication. I never suggested the rings need a constant bath of oil and I never suggested that cylinder coatings are softer than the rings. You guys are over thinking this, and you are both arrogant as hell.

OK..so I'm arrogant...

....and you've got one helluva big mouth.

Thats a question that can have many different answers. Some say litely coat the internals before assembly, some say dump a pile oil in there before assembly. I find the latter to be a pain and not needed unless you want to smoke up the place and crank your hiny off till she finally starts. A lite coat of 2 cycle oil is all I use in the shop on customer rebuilds, I mean very lite. Too date I've had no engine failures come back.

Even so I've been doing alittle experiment on a few of my own saws. I've rebuilt several saws the past year or so I got for free, around 10 or so. I assembled them with no type of engine oil but instead merely used just a little bit Stihl penetrating oil out of a spray can. I litely sprayed all the bearings, gave the cylinder a good spray and wipe the excess out. I sprayed the rings and skirts fairly wet and wipe off the excess threw them babies together. The result, I can't see any differance than the customer saws I use engine oil on the internals before assembly other than a helluva lot less smoke and easier starting on the first start up after rebuild. Will they last, they seem to far as I can tell. I've sold a few of these freebies rebuilt using only penetrating oil cheap, price of the parts, to a good buddy of mine and he runs the living hell out of them. Too date no engine failures. So who knows.

Thats not saying don't use oil on your rebuild, its saying oiling the internals by dumping oil all over is not needed. A lite coat is all thats needed. I suspect less is alot better than alot. I wonder if oiling the internals is needed at all on assembly other than making the piston slip in the cylinder easier but thats me, not the majority on the subject. Oiling seems to be the norm and I'm sure it doesn't hurt anything if used moderately. Too much is a mess, a hard start up and a smoke stack when it does start..

Great info. Thanks

How much oil you assemble the P&C with is probably a minor concern relative to whether you use dino or synthetic during the breakin process...

:popcorn:

Back