M-tronic discontinued?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't see Mtronic any more problematic than carburetors.

Most problems can be traced to fuel contamination with sawdust, dirt, water, diesel fuel, whatever.

I think ethanol gets blamed for a lot of crap it had nothing to do with.
I mean it basicly is a carb with a solenoid added.

Don't see Mtronic any more problematic than carburetors.

Most problems can be traced to fuel contamination with sawdust, dirt, water, diesel fuel, whatever.

I think ethanol gets blamed for a lot of crap it had nothing to do with.
A lot of people forget we still had carb issue before ethonal, not to the extent we do today, but your assessment is spot on imo.

A lot of people forget we still had carb issue before ethonal, not to the extent we do today, but your assessment is spot on imo.
Carb issues are the result in most cases of owner ineptitude. When engines get high hours on them I've had to throw a carb kit at them, but that's about it. I never use ethanol fuel though.

We stock at least 200 Stihl carbs. Some part numbers I order 10 at a time. 017 thru MS250 series mainly. Plus every weed eater, blower, pole saw, etc. Not unusual to replace five a day. Takes less than 5 minutes on most stuff compared to chasing your tail trying to put a kit in that may or may not solve the problem.

well Brazil runs lots Ethanol there, and I bet Stihl can not sense (m-tronics) the fuel grade and tune right.
your dealer meant in BRAZIL.
for a fact.
Petrobas says.
"We produce gasoline A (free of ethanol) in our refineries.
The distributors, in turn, add anhydrous ethanol to gasoline A (according to the current content in the legislation), which is now called gasoline C, making it available at gas stations."
at 27% now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol_fuel_in_Brazil

Brazil for ages and decades tried to sell us (USA) ethanol (no joy , politics max
Straight ethanol is 35% oxygen content by weight. E10 pump fuel is 3.5% oxygen by weight, small engines will and do run on it perfectly fine. Not saying it’s ideal but it is what it is. I’ve run higher O2 content fuels (compared to E10 pump) through mtronic and autotune saws without a problem.

Since when does a F150 have a diesel in it? You probably have an Eco-Boost and I hope you are changing the oil every 5K miles and not using cheap oil either. The Eco-Boost engines are notorious for suffering camshaft journal and timing set failures if the change intervals routinely exceed 5K miles, despite what the 'change oil reminder' on the dash says.

95K miles isn't squat anyway. Diesels will go (especially the Navistar 7.3 turbo diesel engines), 250K and never pull a valve cover or roll in new main's or rod bearings. I have one btw. It's a 97 Forged rod 7.3 IDI Navistar turbocharged motor. Mine runs a full Gale Banks kit and no, it don't 'roll coal' either. My 3406 NZ 17 liter does roll coal however, which is typical for a Caterpillar engine that is shimmed up for power.

The 7.3 Navistar built diesels with forged, not sintered rods were the best engines Fords ever put in a pickup truck. Stock, they were a bit down on power but easy to wake up with the correct modifications. Mine makes 335 RWHP on the dyno. and they are somewhat reliable up to 900 horses at the flywheel though engine life will suffer and so will the driveline. I don't need that much power as it's a farm truck not a coal rolling wannabe fast truck. I still drive it via the pyrometer anyway. Forged aluminum pistons will only take about 1100 degrees combustion chamber temps for short durations without destroying them and being an OBS model, it's in great demand with Fords-Navistar people.
Which eco-boost are you talking about? There are several of them. I WILL send in a sample from my 2.7L next time I change it at 7,500 and I bet you'll be proven wrong.

Which eco-boost are you talking about? There are several of them. I WILL send in a sample from my 2.7L next time I change it at 7,500 and I bet you'll be proven wrong.
He’s wrong all around. The F150 had the 3.0 power stroke for a few years. I don’t think they do anymore but been a long time since I thought about an American truck.

We stock at least 200 Stihl carbs. Some part numbers I order 10 at a time. 017 thru MS250 series mainly. Plus every weed eater, blower, pole saw, etc. Not unusual to replace five a day. Takes less than 5 minutes on most stuff compared to chasing your tail trying to put a kit in that may or may not solve the problem.
In your case it's easier and probably cheaper in alot of cases to replace the carb rather than rebuild.
I can only imagine the neglected crap you have to deal with.

He’s wrong all around. The F150 had the 3.0 power stroke for a few years. I don’t think they do anymore but been a long time since I thought about an American truck.
About the only thing he is right on is his comment on "timing set" failures. These have been common on Ford gas motors of various types for a long time.
I don't get the whole ecoboost thing. The real world mileage differance between it and the V8 is small and the v8 is known to be one of Fords better motors, while the ecoboost doesn't have a sterling reputation for longevity from what I gather.

About the only thing he is right on is his comment on "timing set" failures. These have been common on Ford gas motors of various types for a long time.
I don't get the whole ecoboost thing. The real world mileage differance between it and the V8 is small and the v8 is known to be one of Fords better motors, while the ecoboost doesn't have a sterling reputation for longevity from what I gather.
Depends on what you want I guess. My pops was a diehard v8 guy. Not that I’d buy a ford but if I was in the market I’d buy the 3.5 eco hands down. The 5.0 is an awesome motor and sounds great but those twin snail shaped air compressors put down a flat torque curve just like a turbo diesel.

The M-tronic actually works well and recognizes ethanol well, the problem happens when the machine is stopped for a long time, the ethanol separates from the gasoline and produces a residue that clogs everything, and it really affects the carburetor as a whole, but the lack of knowledge of people makes them reject the M-tronic

Depends on what you're after in a pickup. Great engine for a half ton or full size suv. The millage thing I always laugh at. Around here you're either going up a hill or down a hill. The v8's can't touch the eco boost engines for mpg. I'm not sure about current engines, but there's a couple guys I work with that have over 200k miles on their ecoboost engines and haven't had issues that there ever mentioned. Most ramp and rave about them.

Depends on what you're after in a pickup. Great engine for a half ton or full size suv. The millage thing I always laugh at. Around here you're either going up a hill or down a hill. The v8's can't touch the eco boost engines for mpg. I'm not sure about current engines, but there's a couple guys I work with that have over 200k miles on their ecoboost engines and haven't had issues that there ever mentioned. Most ramp and rave about them.
The reliability comment I base on talking to a friend who works for a Ford dealer. I don't know one way or the other as If I needed a big truck it would be a 3/4 diesel and a small truck a Tacoma.

Trouble with these diesels is their emissions technology. I drive a 2018 BMW 3-series, it came with a 2.0 liter diesel engine. A beautiful machine, gives me at least 45 mpg of combined driving and turns heads at the diesel pump (because apparently sedans don't come with diesel engine). The engine is a tank after they fixed European issue on it with timing chains stretching, I am near 120k miles. Now EGR system crapped out at 40k miles, AdBlue SCR system required sensory change. DPF is so far the only tech that seems to be working. If you could delete all these emissions, these will make for an awesome cars. But most of you all are in emission states, so you are stuck keeping the tech.

The comments on "recognizing " ethanol fuel. Mtronic is nothing more than a solenoid in the carburetor that is controlled by rpm against a set value.If the fuel causes a lower rpm, then it will react to get the rpm back by richening or leaning out the mixture. As far as recognizing actual ethanol fuel, can't do it. It would require a sensor on the fuel.

Latest posts

Back