M-tronic discontinued?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trouble with these diesels is their emissions technology. I drive a 2018 BMW 3-series, it came with a 2.0 liter diesel engine. A beautiful machine, gives me at least 45 mpg of combined driving and turns heads at the diesel pump (because apparently sedans don't come with diesel engine). The engine is a tank after they fixed European issue on it with timing chains stretching, I am near 120k miles. Now EGR system crapped out at 40k miles, AdBlue SCR system required sensory change. DPF is so far the only tech that seems to be working. If you could delete all these emissions, these will make for an awesome cars. But most of you all are in emission states, so you are stuck keeping the tech.
by most, you mean not many. Last time I checked it was 9 states that required testing diesel vehicle emissions regularly. Here in PA they don't yet, because there's no epa approved standardized testing methods for odb 2 equipped diesels, and the standard testing procedure most states (that do test diesel) use is some made up bs.

About the only thing he is right on is his comment on "timing set" failures. These have been common on Ford gas motors of various types for a long time.
I don't get the whole ecoboost thing. The real world mileage differance between it and the V8 is small and the v8 is known to be one of Fords better motors, while the ecoboost doesn't have a sterling reputation for longevity from what I gather.
I have a Taurus SHO with the twin-turbo Ecoboost that has 185,000+ miles and the engine hasn't given any problems (knock wood). Plenty of power with 365 HP and my fuel mileage averages 23-25 mpg. I've worked in the industrial HVAC industry and they switched to the Ecoboost engines in the work trucks/vans several years back. I balked and whined in the beginning but the power and dependablity of them made me reluctantly change my mind. Like all things mechanical/electrical, proper maintenance is key. That being said, the last service truck I had was the Ford Super Duty with a 6.2 liter (379 cu) and I really liked it - but then again I'm a big block guy at heart. Still have my '67 Buick GS with a built 396 in it. :cool:

I have a Taurus SHO with the twin-turbo Ecoboost that has 185,000+ miles and the engine hasn't given any problems (knock wood). Plenty of power with 365 HP and my fuel mileage averages 23-25 mpg. I've worked in the industrial HVAC industry and they switched to the Ecoboost engines in the work trucks/vans several years back. I balked and whined in the beginning but the power and dependablity of them made me reluctantly change my mind. Like all things mechanical/electrical, proper maintenance is key. That being said, the last service truck I had was the Ford Super Duty with a 6.2 liter (379 cu) and I really liked it - but then again I'm a big block guy at heart. Still have my '67 Buick GS with a built 396 in it. :cool:
I like my 460bb over any small block every made, but the truck Sita when I'm not using it. 6-8mpg loaded and need to work to get 12mpg empty sucks. Why i drive a tdi back and forth to work.

@bwalker If you have about 20 minutes to watch this is an older video that is interesting. When they switched us to the Ecoboost engines I found it because I still found it hard to believe they were getting so much power out of those little engines. Like you, I thought they wouldn't hold up to the daily rigors of loaded service trucks.

I like my 460bb over any small block every made, but the truck Sita when I'm not using it. 6-8mpg loaded and need to work to get 12mpg empty sucks. Why i drive a tdi back and forth to work.
Yep, my old F350 is 12-13 mpg at best, that's one reason I bought the Taurus to drive around with. Not to mention the look on people's faces when I blow by in the old man 'sleeper' Taurus. 😁

We've been through this with the 7.3l already. Forged rods arnt anything to brag about and a whopping 2 years of powerstrokes had sintered rods. They came out in 2001 for the 02 truck model year. There's no such thing as a reliable 900 hp 7.3l. they pretty much peak around 450-500hp and 800 ft lbs torque for reliability. To get that everything in the fuel and air system needs upgraded, including head studs. Main girdle would be a good idea at this point too. Thousands of dollars invested at this point, reliability will also start suffering they will not hit 250k mile mark without bottom end attention, and many break the earlier blocks, from a casting flaw between the cam and crank journals.
Your truck makes what power it does because it's all factory hardware can handle, nothing to brag about. Heck stock manual transmission trucks regularly dyno 300+ rear wheel hp.

a 3406 is 14.6L not 17L. 6nz refers to a c-15. The 3406e was an earlier engine same 14.6L displacment. The c-15, c-16 and c-18 engines have the same block, all 3 carry different designations. The c-18 has a different crank with a longer stroke and larger bore. Results in a 18.1L displacement. The c-16 is a 15.8L engine larger bore then the c-15. No combination of the parts will allow for a 17l displacement. There also nothing to "shim" for more power in any of them they are all electronically controlled, ie computer needs programmed. The 3406c model was the last you could tweak mechanically.
I had a 3406E in my 379 Pete, and I loved it! The only thing on the road that I couldn't pass was a fuel stop! That diesel hog got 4.6 MPG empty, loaded, uphill, downhill, idling, and I'd almost say when she was turned off (which was rare)! Though there's no substitute for horsepower, or for that matter yellow under the hood, there's always a price to be paid and nothing is for free!

@bwalker If you have about 20 minutes to watch this is an older video that is interesting. When they switched us to the Ecoboost engines I found it because I still found it hard to believe they were getting so much power out of those little engines. Like you, I thought they wouldn't hold up to the daily rigors of loaded service trucks.

Forgot about that video, I think it's using a first generation economy boost engine. Pretty impressive at any rate.

I personally love my ms241 m-c in the mountains. 2500’ to 7500’ and not a hiccup. I hope they keep it and make it better.

What kind of temps when you cut at higher altitude? I’m on a personal crusade to fix 261Cs and 362Cs that don’t want to run at >80F at >5000’.
Probably the hottest is 27c. It gets too hot for me after that lol. Saw has no issues.

Latest posts

Back